Dodge Truck 5yr/100k warranty - VP44 help

/ Dodge Truck 5yr/100k warranty - VP44 help #1  

thatguy

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 2320
I tried searching for "dodge ram warranty" but didnt find anything..

A while back someone had a question on the 5yr/100k mile Dodge/cummins powertrain warranty. The 2000 - 2002 model year (+/- a few yrs) owners manuals stated that this warranty started "when the 3 yr/36k mile warranty ended" which contradicts how the dealer explained it to me when i bought the truck. They said that the two warranties ran together (ie the 5 yr warranty ran out 5 yrs from inservice or @ 100k whichever came first)

Has anyone had luck getting warranty work done under this powertrain warranty as written? How much of a problem was it getting it approved? My truck is now 7 yrs old and only has 60k on it.

I appear to be having a lift pump problem (dead pedal under acceleration occasionally on a cold start). Someone on diesel truck resourse said they had the problem when fuel got below 1/4 tank, which I am below, and that it went away if he kept it above 1/4 full. BUt other said this was a sure sign of expensive repairs..

thanks

Brian

/ Dodge Truck 5yr/100k warranty - VP44 help #2  
I know the dealer here in Augusta provides and Honors it with all his vehicles, however I haven't gotten that far with mine as yet I'm still under the original factory warranty (Bumper to Bumper) Please do keep us all posted.

Holla If U HEMI!

/ Dodge Truck 5yr/100k warranty - VP44 help #3  
I've got an 02 myself and from what I've read you must keep a check on that lift pump pressure. The lack of it will kill a VP44.
Just installed a 'below 5 psi' warning light in mine. I suggest the same or a pressure gauge.

I'm not trying to scare you but 'dead pedal' are usually signs of a dying injector pump.

Do you have any fault codes ?

There are many many web sites with info on this VP44 injector pump, do some searches are read, read, read.

/ Dodge Truck 5yr/100k warranty - VP44 help #4  
I tried searching for "dodge ram warranty" but didnt find anything..

A while back someone had a question on the 5yr/100k mile Dodge/cummins powertrain warranty. The 2000 - 2002 model year (+/- a few yrs) owners manuals stated that this warranty started "when the 3 yr/36k mile warranty ended" which contradicts how the dealer explained it to me when i bought the truck. They said that the two warranties ran together (ie the 5 yr warranty ran out 5 yrs from inservice or @ 100k whichever came first)

Has anyone had luck getting warranty work done under this powertrain warranty as written? How much of a problem was it getting it approved? My truck is now 7 yrs old and only has 60k on it.

I appear to be having a lift pump problem (dead pedal under acceleration occasionally on a cold start). Someone on diesel truck resourse said they had the problem when fuel got below 1/4 tank, which I am below, and that it went away if he kept it above 1/4 full. BUt other said this was a sure sign of expensive repairs..

thanks

Brian

Cycle the key three times, ending in the on position.
The codes will show in the odo window.
If you see 0216, 1688, or 1689, the pump is dead or dieing.
You will continuous loose VP-44's until you address the lift pump. The factory set-up is junk. Any starving of this pump for fuel will shorten its life. It will continue to run but not lubricate itself without at least 5 psi of fuel push into it.
Dead pedal is should show 0216. There is no saving it now.
Your actual warantee is correctly described as the book shows it. Call Chysler.
For info on the pump, this is the best site for a description. bluechipdiesel.com/vp44diagnostichelp.html

/ Dodge Truck 5yr/100k warranty - VP44 help
Ran the codes and got a 216 and 1693. Cant really find an understandable definition of the 1693 though.. So the VP44 is going.. surprise, surprise. :-(

From reading online this is what I understand... The lift pump is lost/loosing pressure which causes the VP44 to go out.. The VP44 is covered under under the Cummins 5/100k warranty, but the lift pump isnt.

If that is correct - how hard is the lift pump to replace? What should I expect to pay for the pump + installation?

Also got my warranty question answered - it should be covered, but there are cases of the dealer not covering it under warranty and ppl paying and then filing with Chrylser for reimbursement. I DO NOT want to file for reimbursement with Chryslers current financial condition though unless i have to..

Does anyone used a dealer in the Lynchburg/Roanoke area and got the VP44 covered??

thanks

Brian

/ Dodge Truck 5yr/100k warranty - VP44 help #6  
I DO NOT want to file for reimbursement with Chryslers current financial condition though unless i have to..

good luck. Warenty work for the dealer is nothing but that, reimbursement from the factory for work the dealer does on your car.

so if you dont think your going to get your money back, what do you think the dealer is thinking? (and hes got 100's of customers wanting warranty work)

/ Dodge Truck 5yr/100k warranty - VP44 help #7  
If your injection pump is going, double check with dealers and get it covered. [you said it only has 60K, the engine (cummins) has a 100K warranty]

If its just the fuel pump, I have a walbro kit for 2nd gens that I have had for a while, just need to get rid of it. pm me if interested (it sold new for $410). either way you should put a new fuel pump(stock ones are known to not be reliable) on even if it's the injection pump.

If not covered I can see how much it cost me to get one now. If you cant do the work yourself or need help getting things figured out call TRE diesel in Va and talk to Tim. Not sure how far away he is from you.

ALSO, get yourself a fuel pressure gauge.

/ Dodge Truck 5yr/100k warranty - VP44 help #8  
Id watch where you buy a new(rebuilt) VP44, I dont think Bluechip is quite as good as there price might suggest. But thier site is very informative.

I think the life of a VP44 will depend on you giving it what it needs. A constant supply of fuel to lube and cool it, and a little 2cycle or equiv. in the fuel.

You could expect to pay from $250-600 for a decent -> good replacement Transfer Pump. Steer clear of the Dodge in tank replacement.

I purchased A FASS 150/95 with its own filter and water seperator. But without a hassel I dont have a fuel pre heater (which I need in my climate)

So maybe consider a FASS DDRP (Direct dodge replacement pump) They are cheaper and easily allow you to keep the stock filter/seperator/heater unit.
But Iv heard that fuel pumps mounted to the side of the engine also have a shorter life due to heat and vibration.

Id say get a fuel pressure gauge installed just prior to the VP44, and keep it always above 7psi . I read an almost steady 15psi. The low presure warning light is a good feature too.