Snakes

/ Snakes #1  

Ledgemere Farm

Veteran Member
Tractor
A bunch
Anybody got any good snake stories? Luckilly, we don't have much for snakes up here in Maine...although sometimes, when I see them in the woodpile, they startle the &%$#* out of me!

/ Snakes #2  
IHCrules,
I have a rather funny one, at least it was for me, not the guy who soiled his pants.
In the process of re-wiring an old brick school house to turn it into a residence, we had to get into the crawl space underneath. Upon opening the access to it, there were 5 snake skins at the opening. I figured no way was I going under there alone. My boss went with me, him holding the light and me with a stick to "beat off the snakes" if one appeared. Anyway, he was crawling on hands and knees ahead of me, he had the light. I got the bright idea to run that stick up his pant leg. Of course he thought it was a snake.
I thought he was gonna kill me with all that kicking going on. Almost made a new "exit" out of that crawl space that day.

/ Snakes #4  
nope............but it was my choice, not his /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif
Actually he just applied for a job where I would be his boss, but I felt that would not be a good thing right now.

/ Snakes #5  
IHC,
I even kept adjusting my mowing last weekend to avoid chopping one up by my finish mower. I could see him trying to out-run the tractor. The grass kept moving in front of me. Ended up it was a garter snake that sought refuge in the garden. I don't like 'em, but don't wanna kill 'em

/ Snakes
I don't mind them when I see them first. I just hate to look down and see something "slither" by.

/ Snakes #7  
Refer my epic Snake post ealier !!

Just last weekend a mate's wife was off in the bushes with her girls for a pee.

Dropped pants and a red-belly black snake rearer up to strike.

They tellme after a lot of screaming and crying that a hasty retreat was made.

Never been that close myself (Other than the ones in my shed - But my pants are always on!!!)

/ Snakes #8  
I guess it was about six years ago when a black chicken showed up at the shop. She just showed up and sorta acted like a mother hen about the place.

I named her "Cluck". Actually she named herself you might say.

Now I've had guard cats and house dogs and shop varmints. But none of them can hold a candle to having a yard chicken for company.

A dog will sit there and grin with a wagging tail just cause you noticed. You can cuss or praise and all you're gonna git is a grin and a tail wag.

Of course cats don't give you that. I strongly suspect that cats were given us just to reassure them that they're gawd's chosen.

But Cluck had some personality and she appreciated a good joke. I could whup out a one liner and she'd just cackle.

One evening I came in from a job and Cluck was on the floor of the shop instead of up in her chop box nest. So I picked her up put her in her chop box nest. I don't think she bumped her butt on the straw. She was flying over my head for the far corner before I got my hands down to head level.

So I grabbed a five gallon step'emup ladder and peeked in to see what the fuss was all about.

You see Cluck paid rent. She contributed these purty brown eggs with big deep orange yokes.

A big old chicken snake was coiled up there on her nest and he had a severe lip lock on the rent. That was my rent. And since he only had a severe lip lock we had us a wrestling match for the rent. I won.

I tossed the wannabe rent thief into a thirty gallon trash can and went home. I'd had a hard day and wrestling snakes makes me tireder.

I called around my buds to see what was the proper thing to do with a chicken snake. The most common response was to make two of them.

I'm not much into killing things. And the rent thief had just been doing what chicken snakes do. Can't hardly justify killing them for just doing what they do.

I had a job down in University Park to finish up. An automatic gate for a rear entry home. University Park is part of the Park cities where the real estate doubles in price just because it's got Park after it's name.

So I put the snake on the truck. I figure if the snake jumps off the truck at seventy on seventy five then I didn't kill it. It committed suicide.

The job was for a couple with two little boys. She, the mama, was a high dollar psychologist or psycharitist or something along that line. He, the daddy, was a money manager. You know one of them silver spooners that's went to all the right schools and gets the job of watching the kids and the family money. Great folks, wonnerfull kids, even better customers, can't say enough good things about them.

We was talking him and me as I was setting up. I reached in to grab my welding cable out of it's bin. I don't care how big or how bad you are. When you reach in for a welding cable while talking to a customer you are gonna leave some bad words on the ground when that hand comes back not with a welding cable but a snake.

I kicked them bad words up under the truck sorta sly like. They're good people and probably never heard such except when they went to the movies.

When I paused a minit while changing rods I looked over and the dad was teasing the snake with a spare welding glove I carry on the truck. I asked him to stop. He did.

As we settled up he told me to make good and sure that snake was still on the truck when I left. If'n his wife found out about that snake even being here she'd have him all night out in the yard with a flashlight looking for it. Plus he'd probably have to put her back in therapy. Evidently she'd just got out.

I haven't seen that snake since. But I like to think it's down there in University Park. Nice neighborhood, lots of pets, parrots too.

/ Snakes #9  
When my son was about four years old, just the two of us were at home and in the house. I was doing some paper work and concentrating hard. My son all of a sudden said, "Dad theres a snake"! Thinking he was letting his imagination run, I said okay and went on with the paperwork. A few seconds later he said again, "dad theres a snake", with more conviction. So I got up and walked to where he was, but I was still reading while walking. I walked into the dining room where I noticed my son standing up on a chair. At this moment I stepped bare foot on a 3' black snake. I am not scared of snakes but when you step on one in your dining room it does tend to startle one. After my initial shock we rounded up the varmint and took him back to the woods. We think the snake came into the house via the laundry basket. Glad the wife hadn't found him, she tends to balk when serpents are present.

/ Snakes #10  
Back when I lived in MD I was freinds with a guy who just bought a farm property up the road in PA. I was always lending him tools and such. One day I went up to retrieve some tools so I could accomplish some chores.

He was working on the barn. More like a huge wood shed - 20 x 80 feet with one whole long side open. He had just installed a set of garage doors to close a portion and make a usable shop for his tools and tractor. I was there to make sure my tools didn't take up permanent residency in the new shop.

When I got there he was in the shop with both doors open. We chatted a bit and discussed how he installed the overhead garage doors. He said it was a cuss filled knuckle bleeder of a job. But all in all he was pleased with the outcome.

To show off what a good job he had done he reached up to pull the rope that would lower the door. A six foot black snake fell off the door and landed on him. I [censored] near wet myself and I'm pretty sure his shorts needed washing too! We both jumped and dove out the other door. After recovering our breath and wits we went back in. The snake was a resident of the barn and the owner let him be figuring it was good for rodent control. So we shooed the snake out side. But from then on I always took a long look-see before going into the barn.

Phil