printer ink

/ printer ink #11  
Let me give you a tip as a computer tech that I give to my freinds. If a printer is cheap or free=expensive ink. Don't use those printers. If you are sticking with inkjets, be sure you get the kind with 4 ink cartridges. one black and 3 seperate colors. they last longer, cheaper to replace the color you use the most and the replacement are much cheaper. Also before buying a printer, do a google search or look in store for how much are the replacements. If the replacement colors are 10 bucks, then you are in a good shape as online ink suppliers tends to be 2-5 dollars less. Ordering online ahead of time saves you ,money, but if needed, it won't hurt the bank to buy in store locally. I have used the refill kits myself and found that they do work, but its much more hassle then its worth. Also the color refills, they tend not to be exact same color as you remember in shades. Black ink refills are fine, but If you refill too many times, the cartridge tends to "wear out" and cause a mess in the printers. Like I said stay away from refill kits- for the price to buy online and refill kits you will end up the same pricewise/hassles.

So the moral to story is get color printers with more then 2 cartridges and buy online ahead of time, they are cheap.:cool:

/ printer ink #12  
I love my Epson Stylus color 880 and get hundreds of prints on one cartridge. I buy 5 Black and 5 color replacement cartridges on ebay for $13 and this lasts for years.

Epson makes so many different models each year that you could probably not find one of these new anymore but might find a good used one on ebay.

A couple of years ago Epson won a lawsuit to stop others from selling ink for Epsons but for some reason the sales never stopped.

I don't use Epson ink in my Epson and I don't use Kubota oil in my Kubota as I find other brands work just as well.

/ printer ink #13  
Actually those cheap printers are pretty good for my uses. I'm a light printer - the vast majority of stuff I read online so I only typically print out things like plane tickets. Put into tractor-speak, if Deere offered me a tractor for $10,000 off but made me buy Deere-brand gas at an extra $10/hour of usage it would take me 1000 hours to make up the difference. With a rate of usage of about 50 hours a year I would hit 1000 hours in about 20 years and that would make the deal well worth it. If I spent 250 hours a year on a tractor it would only take 4 years for me to start losing money and it wouldn't make as much sense. Similarly buying a $50 printer every two years and putting a $40 cartridge in it once or twice is still cheaper than a $250 printer that lasts three or four years with $20 refills.

But your fundamental advice is good. Look at the complete cost of ownership on a printer rather than just the printer cost. Try to research the number of pages per cartridge (remember, the cartridges that come with the printer are starter cartridges and don't last long). If you take the cost of the printer, the price per page times the number of pages you print in a year, and then guess at to the longevity of the printer you can estimate the total cost. I do like those old Laserjets and they last forever, but when they were new dropping $1000+ on one is a huge startup cost for the volume of printing I do.

/ printer ink #14  
I have also read of people buying refurbished printers. The printers are dirt cheap. They buy them because the dirt cheap printers have expensive ink carts inside the box. :D They buy the printer, toss it, and keep the carts. :D:D:D

I have been researching photo printers again. Seem like I do this every 18-24 months for the last decade. Still don't have a printer. :D:rolleyes: Epson has two very good printers. For all intents and purposes the photo quality is the same between these two printers but one is $200-300 more expensive. The more expensive printer is the better long term buy because the ink cartridges are much bigger and cheaper per volume. The $200-300 difference will be used up quickly in ink costs and make the cheaper printer more expensive in a very short period of time.

Buying an older printer that is known to work with CIS is not a bad idea. But research it. I have heard people praise CIS and curse it.

Some fo the newer printers have chipped cartridges to prevent non OEM cartridges from working. In theory. I have seen empty chipped carts for sale ready to be filled with your ink of choice either by hand or by CIS.

Later,
Dan

/ printer ink #15  
I bought a used HP Laserjet 6P a few years ago. It is a smaller model and just right for home use. We have had one at work that we have used for years without problems. I go through about 1 toner a year and I buy a off brand replacement toner on-line for about $30.

I do have a color inkjet but I set the printer default to the B&W laserjet. It it one with the seperate colors. I last ordered in bulk buy looking on line at a site called pricegrabber.com

/ printer ink
I have also read of people buying refurbished printers. The printers are dirt cheap. They buy them because the dirt cheap printers have expensive ink carts inside the box. :D They buy the printer, toss it, and keep the carts.

Buying an older printer that is known to work with CIS is not a bad idea. But research it. I have heard people praise CIS and curse it.

Some fo the newer printers have chipped cartridges to prevent non OEM cartridges from working. In theory. I have seen empty chipped carts for sale ready to be filled with your ink of choice either by hand or by CIS.

Later,
Dan

Thanks to all for info. After reading I wonder if I might want to dust off an old track printer with the holes on side of paper . I have a couple of those. They are great for invoices. However, the printer worked fine, but paper expensive. If you have to print a nicer invoice then what do you save? If ya just want a printed invoice that might be the way to go. Hmmm...............Where did I put those printers???

Cheers....Coffeeman

/ printer ink
I love my Epson Stylus color 880 and get hundreds of prints on one cartridge. I buy 5 Black and 5 color replacement cartridges on ebay for $13 and this lasts for years.

Epson makes so many different models each year that you could probably not find one of these new anymore but might find a good used one on ebay.

A couple of years ago Epson won a lawsuit to stop others from selling ink for Epsons but for some reason the sales never stopped.

I don't use Epson ink in my Epson and I don't use Kubota oil in my Kubota as I find other brands work just as well.

I like your horse , "Happy Trails". On my last day of high school our home room all joined in singing Happy Trails. I seem to remember the first lines: Happy trails to you, untill we meet again. Happy tails to you, keep smiling untill then. Haven't though about that in many years. Funny how a little cartoon can shake out some cob webs and spark an old memory. If I remember right Roy sang the song and the title was Happy Trails To You. Does your happy refer to same song or is it something different?

By the way, I don't remember seeing Epsons in the Best Buys etc. But, I think the old printer I had for invoices might have been one. I think it used an ink ribbon; like a typewriter. Hey, what's a typewriter?

Cheers...Coffeeman

/ printer ink #18  
No one has mentioned anything about the system that I use. It is an HP Photosmart D-5160. It has six ink tank on the side of the printer with tubes going to the cartridges. When the ink get low, you fill the tanks back up from a bulk supply. They make these kits for many different printers. I will see if I can find the website.

http://www.inkproducts.com/

/ printer ink #19  
J_J, that's what is known as CIS or continuous ink system.

The key to making these work is to cap them off when not using them. Also, for Epson, shut off your printer when it's not in use. On the Epson, when you shut off your printer, it caps the ends of the ink cartridge.

Oh, and I put the plugs back in the big bottle on the side when I'm done printing to keep them from drying out.

We have some really nice laserjet printers at work, and my Epson inkjet is way faster than any of them in draft mode, which is what I use unless I'm printing photos. If I need to print something that needs to be colorfast, or I'm printing just one or two pages, I'll go with the laserjet because I don't want to deal with uncapping the cartridges on the CIS on the Epson.

The main reason I purchased the Epson, though, is its ability to print on CDs and DVDs - a very nice feature to have. Oh, and the photos are fantastic with the 6 color ink system.

-Steve

/ printer ink #20  
don't be hornswaggled by the kodak advertisements about cheap ink cartridges: like i was: i haven't printed but "maybe" a half dozen pictures, and the color cart says its low. the one i got is the loudest printer i have ever seen.
heehaw