Getting rid of clover in a lawn

/ Getting rid of clover in a lawn #1  

Ken_CT

Gold Member
Tractor
BX23, Hustler Mini Fastrak 42 w/mulch kit, Wheel Horse 14-38XL
I have a relatively nice lawn that is being overtaken by clover in some areas. Is there any way to get rid of it without hurting the lawn? I'm in CT, and the grass is a mix for this area. It is an established lawn, and the area I'm concerned about is less than half an acre. I definitely do not want to kill the lawn and start over from scratch, so I'm hoping there is something that will only kill the clover. The soil is a little acidic, so I lime it every year, and it is fertilized regularly. I core aerated and over seeded early this year so I didn't use the fertilizer with crabgrass killer.

Thanks,
Ken

/ Getting rid of clover in a lawn #2  
I like the clover in my yard because it gives it a little green in January and February when all the grass is brown. It also attracts the honey bees that we all need.

Of course, my yard is not the showcase that some yards are. :eek:

/ Getting rid of clover in a lawn #3  
2-4-D will kill clover and any braodleafs and not harm your grass.

/ Getting rid of clover in a lawn #4  
2-4-D will kill clover and any braodleafs and not harm your grass.

Correct, it will kill clover, especially if you don't want it gone, and will not harm grass if used at any reasonable rate. Just follow label directions for rates

/ Getting rid of clover in a lawn #6  
Dumb question: why don't you want the clover?

I seem to remember that in the '50's, clover was included in lawn mixes (at least when I was growing up, all lawns had clover). Clover adds nitrogen to the soil and doesn't seem to be burned by dog urine. OTOH, I don't use my lawn for a practice putting green (which would come under a valid use of lawn) or, since I live in a rural area, worry about the neighbors' opinions (which also could be valid - particularly if you have a homeowners association), so I might not understand the problem.

I admit that I am partial to clover as my daughter is allergic to most grasses. Since she's paraplegic and whatever is on the ground gets onto her hands, I've put in clover "lawns" around the house. If I don't mow them every week, they tend to look lumpy, but (to me) nowhere as bad as a too tall grass lawn.

/ Getting rid of clover in a lawn #7  
I use 2-4D to spray on clover and other broadleaf weeds (dandelions etc). Relatively cheap and won't hurt the grass. You should used it based on number of square feet but in a small sprayer or hand sprayer, I mix the 4 pound strength at 3-6 oz/gallon.

/ Getting rid of clover in a lawn #8  
I use this
281253_front200.jpg
There's no mixing. It kills all weeds including clover...Not the grass. Just connect garden hose to it turn on the water & spray

/ Getting rid of clover in a lawn
Thanks everyone. There are some good suggestions, and I did a little googleing (sp?) of some of the products. 2,4-d had mixed reviews for clover, but some products use it with other ingredients that got good reviews. The Bonide looks pretty good, and the Weed-B-Gon Max got good reviews also. The reason I want to get rid of the clover is because my wife spends a tremendous amount of time with the many flower gardens in the yard, and they look great, but the clover has really started to take over the lawn, and I'd like the lawn to look as good as her flowers. We are going to have a big party this summer so I've been re-thinking doing the spraying until fall. I would hate to mess up the lawn before the party if it doesn't go as well as the products advertise. After over 25 years of working on the landscaping it is starting to look pretty good, except for the excessive clover, but even that looks a lot better, and greener, than when we first started. The BX23 allowed landscaping projects that would never have been done otherwise. I enjoy working on the yard, being in the fresh air and sunshine, and the end results are quite enjoyable.

Ken

/ Getting rid of clover in a lawn #10  
I like the clover in my yard because it gives it a little green in January and February when all the grass is brown. It also attracts the honey bees that we all need.

Of course, my yard is not the showcase that some yards are. :eek:

Good Evenin Dudley,
Im with you buddy, I like clover ! Its a nice green with pretty white flowers and it attracts bees, which you need for your garden ! ;):)