Pole pruner: most useful acreage tool?

/ Pole pruner: most useful acreage tool? #1  

blurrybill

Gold Member
Tractor
JD4310 eHydro with bells and whistles
After using my Echo 12" bar power pruner 2 days this weekend, I had to make a post about it. It extends to around 16 feet and, with a sharp chain, works like a charm.

With all the trees and bushes on my Land, I couldn't get along without it. This weekend I stacked around 40 piles of brush from the trimming. The funny thing is I've had to speed up my pruning schedule because the new tractor will be home this weekend with the tall folding ROPS. This necessitated trimming lots of trees and shrubs that were negotiated before with the LX279 (17 hp garden tractor).

Anyway, the pruner can cut up to 9" or so limbs and no downward pressure is recommended or needed. Stihl makes one as well with a little bit different design. One can rest the Echo on the limb without first revving the engine or having the chain moving.

I have used it for about 3 years and it has never been a problem to start. I do take care of my things. They cost around $500. I debated for some time, based on the cost, but have not regretted this purchase.

I would make a strong recommendation to TBNers to consider buying one, either Echo or Stihl, especially if your property has many trees. The main safety concern is dropping limbs on one's head -- I wear safety glasses under a helmet with face screen and built-in ear protection. This setup also lets a person get in the brush to pick up fallen limbs.

Let me know if you have any questions/comments.

Bill

/ Pole pruner: most useful acreage tool? #2  
Bill

Your poor Aussie cousin who has a tractor without a FEL does have a pole pruner !!!!!!

However mine has a long string and I have to pull the string to cut the brach. Just a lopper on a pole.

gee you guys have all the toys /w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif

/ Pole pruner: most useful acreage tool?
Believe me, Neil, I used one just like that for a long time. But, with 8 acres and lots of trees, I had to do something. I can reach higher and cut off some pretty good-sized limbs this way.

Hey, how's winter going Downunder? Good to hear from you.

Bill

/ Pole pruner: most useful acreage tool? #4  
Yep I have 6 acres but NO original trees (was farming land) so don't have that problem yet !!

Winter here is great. Perfect clear days.

6 degrees over night (43F) but warms up nicely during the day. Most winter days are still T shirt weather for us !!

Cheers

/ Pole pruner: most useful acreage tool?
An idea: pay for my often-dreamed about trip down there and I'll bring the pruner and trim all those trees for you! Just a thought...

Bill

/ Pole pruner: most useful acreage tool? #6  
Well in 20 years or so when all my seedlings have grown, you are on !!!!!!

/ Pole pruner: most useful acreage tool? #7  
Unfortunately, Neil, I have the same kind of pole pruner you have./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

/ Pole pruner: most useful acreage tool? #8  
My wife, who has a knack for innovative thinking, uses a Winchester 12ga for pruning limbs. She also claims it's great practice for the next time that fox comes to check out her chickens!

Pete

/ Pole pruner: most useful acreage tool? #9  
Pete

Does the word redneck come to mind /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Pole pruner: most useful acreage tool? #10  
Bird, Neil,
Those pole pruners with the hook and blade are the best thing I found for removing multifloral roses that are in places I can't get my bush hog/slasher. I just slip it in and cut the suckers off at the base, then use the hook to drag them out to where I can move them with the FEL. I wouldn't be without one of those style pruners. I also like the fact I don't have to start them to use them and don't have to mix gas for then. I do have a pruning attachment for my Ryobi string trimmer, but I only use it on the thicker branches that would be very difficult to cut with the hook pruner.