A new toy arrived today, but...

/ A new toy arrived today, but... #1  

Gary_in_Indiana

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 4200 MFWD HST w/ JD 420 FEL w/ 61" loader bucket & toothbar & JD 37 BH w/ 12" bucket
I got a package today from FFC in Illinois. It's my new toothbar I ordered exactly two weeks ago today from KC Canary. That's the good news. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

The bad news is that until I get the new electrical finished in my barn Thursday (electrician setting the box for new 200 amp service then), get it inspected and get the new electric drop in from the power company, I can't drill the holes in my bucket to install the thing. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

I doubt very seriously if I'll get power there before the first of the week given that there are three entities involved in the process. /w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif Oh, well... at least it's here, right? /w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif

/ A new toy arrived today, but... #2  
Battery drill with a step bit?? /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif
And a spare battery or two.

/ A new toy arrived today, but...
I'd thought about that... and have about half a dozen batteries for my Makita 9.6V drill and even a 12V charger for them. I just didn't think I'd have enough power to get through my JD bucket sides. I'm not sure, but I think those bolts must be about 3/4" or so. I was going to take one off and grabbed the largest socket I had there. It was a 1" and it wasn't large enough. Do you really think my Makita with a step bit would work on battery power?

/ A new toy arrived today, but... #4  
When necessary, we used to connect air tools to a SCUBA tank (after first stage regulator). Not only portable, but works underwater. /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

Okay, it's only practical if you already have that stuff, but it would work.
wink.gif

/ A new toy arrived today, but... #5  
Might be a tough challenge for the size hole you need. One of the step bits that I use drills to 7/8" but it would be tough on the bit to make too many of those in your bucket. They make larger bits but I think you need a 1/2" chuck to put it in. Anyone got a generator you could loan Gary?? /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ A new toy arrived today, but... #6  
I doubt that there is any way you can drill such large holes with battery power but then it is still just a few days 'till you get real power. It sounds like you have a lot of other things to keep you busy until then. It is strange how the different suppliers vary the size of the attachment holes for the tooth bars. Some use 3/8" bolts while others use 5/8". The teeth themselves transfer the load to the bucket and the bolts just keep the whole tooth bar from falling out when you curl the bucket down. It seems to me that the smaller bolts would do just fine. I ordered a tooth bar from the local Kubota dealer and will pick it up this morning so I hope it comes with the smaller bolts. I have a JD but tooth bars are apparently for commercial equipment and JD is like IBM used to be. Their farm dealers claim no knowledge of anything that is made for commercial equipment (yellow) and their commercial dealers claim no knowledge of the farm tractors (green). Somehow the compact tractors ended up green although they probably would fit better as yellow. Meanwhile I just go the Kubota dealer to get attachments. Funny though, one of the main reasons I bought JD instead of Kubota was the the Kubota dealer was located too far away.

/ A new toy arrived today, but... #7  
Gary, can I ask a wicked dumb question? I'm sure there's a reason for this, but why can't you ride over closer to the house and use the AC there? I'm new, so I don't know your exact setup out there. New land, no house yet? All electrical is dead while wating for the new drop?

Can you borrow a generator?

/ A new toy arrived today, but... #8  
Gary,

<font color=blue>"I got a package today from FFC in Illinois. It's my new toothbar I ordered exactly two weeks ago today from KC Canary..."</font color=blue>

Congratulations.....which toothbar did you get? I got the EXTRA heavy duty one from KC Canary (also manufactured by FFC) to fit my 73" HD bucket with bolt on cutting edge. I'd have to say this toothbar is a mean looking attachment. It's likely I'll do damage to the bucket or FEL before I ever snap off one of these shanks or points.

Bob

/ A new toy arrived today, but... #9  
I used a Craftsman 16.8V cordless drill to drill the holes in my HD bucket. I used a 3/4" hole saw and I had finished the first hole and almost finished the second when I had to switch batteries. Took about 10-15 minutes.

--Brad

/ A new toy arrived today, but... #10  
<font color=blue>I used a Craftsman 16.8V cordless drill to drill the holes in my HD bucket.</font color=blue>

Did your bucket not have holes in it already? Or did the holes not line up with your toothbar? My TC40D HD 72" bucket already had the holes, just bought the bar, slid it on and pushed the bolts through the holes.