Hairline crack on toilet bowl..

/ Hairline crack on toilet bowl.. #1  

thatguy

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 2320
I noticed a 3 to 4" long crack in the bowl of one of our toilets today - . We do not remember hitting it with anything so I have no idea how it got there.. It does not appear to be leaking at this time (ie no water on teh floor)

I am concerned about it breaking and causing a HUGE water problem.. Would you agree that it needs to be replaced asap?

thanks

Brian

/ Hairline crack on toilet bowl.. #2  
I'd rather be safe than sorry...$$'s later on.

/ Hairline crack on toilet bowl.. #3  
Do you know that it is actually a crack vs. a manufacturing flaw that you just hadn't noticed before? But, yes, if there's a crack, I'd be out shopping for another toilet.

/ Hairline crack on toilet bowl.. #4  
You must realize that if the toilet fails, it will do it at the worst possible time when you are ____ ____ ____ .:eek: (You can fill in the blanks.;))

/ Hairline crack on toilet bowl.. #5  
I met a guy about 2 years ago that had the worst looking scar on his arm. He said he was removing a toilet and had his arms around it when it broke. It cut him terribly, and caused all kinds of damage.

Please be careful.

/ Hairline crack on toilet bowl.. #6  
I met a guy about 2 years ago that had the worst looking scar on his arm. He said he was removing a toilet and had his arms around it when it broke. It cut him terribly, and caused all kinds of damage.

Please be careful.

Yep, I wouldn't put my arms around it, but they can also be slick and hard to hold onto with your hands. I let one slip out of my hands once and of course it broke into many pieces so then we went and bought a new one.:D

/ Hairline crack on toilet bowl.. #8  
We had a bowl with a crack on the outside. No idea how long it had been there. If it's a crack on the outside only it won't leak.

/ Hairline crack on toilet bowl..
OK you wise ppl have spoken.. water is turned off until i get back home (im out of town until wed) and can get a new one installed.. sorta mixed blessing to be honest we regretted not putting in a handicap/comfort heighth when we built, so now we can correct that..

thanks

b

/ Hairline crack on toilet bowl.. #10  
OK you wise ppl have spoken.. water is turned off until i get back home (im out of town until wed) and can get a new one installed.. sorta mixed blessing to be honest we regretted not putting in a handicap/comfort heighth when we built, so now we can correct that..

thanks

b

Good decision. Murphys law says its guaranteed to break at exactly the wrong time.