Garden shed greenhouse project

/ Garden shed greenhouse project #1  

jimmyj

Elite Member
Tractor
Allis Chalmers 616 (Two) and a Kioti CK30 HST with loader and backhoe
Our old stick greenhouse was getting pretty shabby so we undertook to build a new one this year. We've got basically 4 squares attached toghether. 3 8x8 structures which will be the greenhouse attached to an 8x10 shed for potting, tools and such.

It's really coming along. It's set us a bit behind in our gardening but with temps almost at freezing forecast for later this week I'm not losing any sleep over it.

The wood is all spruce or fir and we've stained it. We put a cool Dragon weather vane on top and the floor is discarded interlock from a neighbor. I'm running electricity and water to it as well. We also put a discarded woodstove inside (which is illegal in a greenhouse so don't tell the safety police). To be safe I've got really good heat sheilds, a CO2 detector (subject to the power being run) and a fire extenguisher. We also used discarded windows from another neighbour for the glass parts and salvage french doors. The whole project is probably going to cost us about $1000.00 which I think is pretty good.

Here are some pics so far. The garden area is a bit of a mess and the old greenhouse should be gone by tomorrow so I think it will be cute when it is done. We have a small pasture down behind and really nice views so the back doors will open to a small patio we could sit on to watch the sheep graze.

One of my dogs, Elmo, is supervising the work to make sure I don't have too many Budweiser!

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    712.5 KB · Views: 1,890
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    752.3 KB · Views: 1,124
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    985 KB · Views: 769
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    923.6 KB · Views: 4,430
  • supervisor elmo.jpg
    supervisor elmo.jpg
    786.4 KB · Views: 470
  • sthinside.JPG
    sthinside.JPG
    850.9 KB · Views: 3,244
  • nthinside.JPG
    nthinside.JPG
    966.6 KB · Views: 1,502
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    682.8 KB · Views: 2,828
   / Garden shed greenhouse project
Coupla more pics, sorry they are out of order. Should have posted these first.

Attachments

• HPIM0727.JPG
    HPIM0727.JPG
    941.6 KB · Views: 221
  • HPIM0731.jpg
    HPIM0731.jpg
    779.7 KB · Views: 260
  • HPIM0798.jpg
    HPIM0798.jpg
    761.2 KB · Views: 309
  • HPIM0858.jpg
    HPIM0858.jpg
    827.9 KB · Views: 341
   / Garden shed greenhouse project #4  
Very cool, that may actually get me motivated

thanks for the photos

Greg
Pennsylvania

/ Garden shed greenhouse project #5  
Wow! That's impressive.:) It will make my hoophouse greenhouse I am building look amateurish. I looked at the Duchesne site about their poly films. Which product did you use? How many years do you think it will last before replacement is required?

Duchesne Film

/ Garden shed greenhouse project #6  
Great looking green house sure looks better than mine. I made a 13 by 21 oiut of a couple trampoline frames. I used some film from FarmTek that was 150 bucks for the whole sheet.

/ Garden shed greenhouse project
Jim

It's just "super 6" which is the slang name around here for 6ml vapor barrier. I've been using it on little hot houses for years and as long as you put it on well, with strapping on the outside it will last at least 5 years. Eventually the sun gets it but for the price I could not justify a fancy expensive hoop house product.

/ Garden shed greenhouse project #8  
Good Afternoon Jim,
Very nice ! Ive allways thought about doin something like that to save money every spring on all the annuals that Kathleen buys ! :)

I will be following along on any of your seed growing plans !

Thanks ! :)

/ Garden shed greenhouse project #9  
Looks great! How do you ventilate the greenhouse?

/ Garden shed greenhouse project #10  
Looks great! How do you ventilate the greenhouse?

I thought the same thing when I first saw it, but thought maybe it doesn't need vents considering his location. I don't think you or I could get away without serious ventilation. I may even have to put a swamp cooler on my hoophouse to keep it cool in the severest part of summer.