Cheep tool company that starts with an "H"

/ Cheep tool company that starts with an "H" #21  
I have had above ave luck with my Harbor Freight purchases - but having a store locally makes it easier for returns than the 'tent sale' companies..

Just out of curiosity - they used to have 'cummins' or 'cummings' tools sales around here - how do they compare to HF stuff..

Brian

/ Cheep tool company that starts with an "H" #22  
In my opinion, Homier and Cummins are about on the same level. You have to watch their prices because some of the deals aren't so great, also in my opinion.

Other than military contracts and I'm not so sure about those, why would anybody would want to build hummers? The market has to be limited for such a large and expensive vehicle.

/ Cheep tool company that starts with an "H" #23  
I've had good luck with some of the HF stuff. Bought their auto darkening welding helmet and impact sockets. They're holding up well.

M.D.

/ Cheep tool company that starts with an "H" #24  
We have used Pittsburgh Forge labeled (from HF) impact sockets in the shop for probably 10 years, and no problems. Can't say the same for any of their ratchets we've had, but the sockets are a value.

/ Cheep tool company that starts with an "H" #25  
We have used Pittsburgh Forge labeled (from HF) impact sockets in the shop for probably 10 years, and no problems. Can't say the same for any of their ratchets we've had, but the sockets are a value.

I was there yesterday (yeah, got the 20% coupon in the email) and returned another handful of shattered impact sockets. For the first time one of the employees there showed me where one line of their "impact" sockets clearly state they are made with different metalurgy and boast a 30% addition in strength over their standard 1/2" impact sockets. The standard impact sockets by Pittsburgh fall into the category of "not worth having even if they are free" as far as I'm concerned. They also have 2 lines (of quality) ratchets as well. This new (to me) discovery of vastly different qualities within the same name has me planning on going back today to look closer at some of their stuff.

/ Cheep tool company that starts with an "H" #26  
In my opinion, Homier and Cummins are about on the same level. You have to watch their prices because some of the deals aren't so great, also in my opinion.

I went to a Cummins tool sale locally and was pretty unimpressed. Their stuff suffers from being hauled around the country in an 18-wheeler and unloaded/loaded at every stop. The packages and tools were pretty nasty looking for the most part. As you noted, some things were no bargain at all, especially any name brand stuff that was surely a refurb. It was priced like new in my opinion. What got me most was I had to list everything on a clipboarded form and then wait in a long line (20 people) to pay and check out. Then, I had to go outside and wait in another long line at least as big to have someone find the goods in the truck and give them to me. I came home with a set of scissors, a lockring plier set, a couple of strap wrenches, and a determination to never go to one of those type sales again. Harbor Freight was never so bad as that experience.

/ Cheep tool company that starts with an "H" #27  
I was there yesterday (yeah, got the 20% coupon in the email) and returned another handful of shattered impact sockets. For the first time one of the employees there showed me where one line of their "impact" sockets clearly state they are made with different metalurgy and boast a 30% addition in strength over their standard 1/2" impact sockets. The standard impact sockets by Pittsburgh fall into the category of "not worth having even if they are free" as far as I'm concerned. They also have 2 lines (of quality) ratchets as well. This new (to me) discovery of vastly different qualities within the same name has me planning on going back today to look closer at some of their stuff.

My experience with HF is that for any tool offered in more than one quality level, you should definitely buy the better or best quality version. I think even they know that some of the stuff isn't usable as sold.

/ Cheep tool company that starts with an "H" #28  
Can you clarify how we differentiate? I'd have to check our impact sockets, but I know we have not broken one in all the time we've had them. I think all our sets are the same....deep well, 1/2" drive, metric. We have broken a few of their regular sockets....but have only one set, and our tool boxes are pretty well stocked with good name (SK, Snap On, Mac, etc.) regular sockets.

I just checked their site and I think 7383-7VGA is what we have. We might have one set of 66694-0VG.

/ Cheep tool company that starts with an "H" #30  

Other than military contracts and I'm not so sure about those, why would anybody would want to build hummers? The market has to be limited for such a large and expensive vehicle.

I've noticed of late HF has some pricing "issues" as well. For example their gallons of WD40 are higher than many other places. I'm also getting a little puzzled why the local store goes around putting red sale price tags on things that are the same price everyday as the "sale price". Gotta keep an eye on those guys;)

As for Hummer- I read somewhere in the news that the military HMMWV production isn't being sold to China, just the civvy versions production.