Walked out of Scooby Doo

/ Walked out of Scooby Doo #1  

Mosey

Veteran Member
Tractor
2000 New Holland TC29D with 7308 FEL, and top & tilt. 1950 John Deere B. 1940 Farmall A.
We took our soon to be 6 year old twins to see Scooby Doo. We ended up leaving about a third of the way through it and getting our money back! It started out fine, but the monsters were not just somebody dressed up, like in the cartoons, they were real - and they looked real. Then, they took over peoples bodies and then came out of them (ever see Alien?). Then the women went bra-less. Then Fred’s brain got into Daphne’s body and started feeling him/her self and making sensual remarks. It was poorly done and a real disappointment. It's rated PG, but should definitely be PG-13. By the time we left (when the monsters were coming out of peoples bodies) the kids were so scared they wouldn’t even open their eyes. Other people were leaving also. I guess we’ll stick with either G rated or Disney movies. Disney PG is no problem. It’s a real shame because the kids love the cartoon and watch it all the time and were really excited about going to the movie.

/ Walked out of Scooby Doo #2  
My kids want to see it, but I've only read one good review and the rest stated what you just did. So, we'll pass. Thanks for the opinion.

/ Walked out of Scooby Doo #3  
That's too bad. And it's certainly not in the tradition of the original cartoon.

SHF

/ Walked out of Scooby Doo #4  
We were thinking about taking the kids but after my wife read the review on Focus On The Family's web site, we quickly changed our minds. They pointed out all of the same things you did. According to Fox News, the original cut included Thelma as a lesbian, many sexual innuendo between Fred and Daphnie and frequent drug references between Shaggy and Scooby. They decided to cut these parts because they would have been given a PG13 rating and the producers wanted the "family friendly" PG.

Glad to hear that you voted with your feet.

/ Walked out of Scooby Doo
I just read the Focus on the Family's review. Their statement "families of younger children sure to be blindsided by its scary action and joyless satire", is right on the money.

/ Walked out of Scooby Doo #6  
We had the same experience when our now-college grads were young with another "kids movie." The name eludes me now (well, it has been almost twenty years) but all of the previews showed cute little furry characters, etc., one of whom was named Gizmo, I believe. The movie had those but also sharp-fanged, razor-clawed evil versions and even a scene of one being "microwaved" with the ensuing explosion. Our youngest was in tears and his slightly older sister was terrified. I don't even think we stopped to ask for our money back. We just wanted to get them out of there and get those images out of their minds ASAP.

/ Walked out of Scooby Doo #7  
I only recall walking out of one movie due to content. I was dragged out of a movie with Jiminy Cricket in it but as a preschooler. The one my wife and I walked out of was "Care Bears". It was just toooooooooo smarmy.

Thanks everyone for the warning about "Scooby Don't." I may have gone to see that but if it doesn't track the original cartoon very well I have no motivation. I see more sexaul inuendo and glorification/normalization of deviation and perversion that I ever want without trying, paying, or making a 50 + mile round trip.

I'll just watch some reruns of Monty Python's Flying Circus, some of which goes a tad over the top.

Again, thanks for the alert.

Patrick

/ Walked out of Scooby Doo #8  
Looks like we made the right choice, took kids to see Spirit : Stallion of the Cimarron. Good story and animation.

/ Walked out of Scooby Doo #10  
<font color=red>RUH-ROH!!!!!!!!!!!!!</font color=red>