Stihl 55r

/ Stihl 55r #1  

Chuck52

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L210
I bought one of these yesterday to replace the second Ryobi trimmer I wore out in three years. I almost went for the 90, but I don't really need a pro model trimmer and this one seemed strong enough for my use. This is my first straight shaft trimmer and I figured it would take me a while to get use to that. It sure worked a lot better when I finally figured out it spins counter clockwise (from above) rather than clockwise like all the other trimmers I've had. Now I have to learn to work right-to-left instead of left-to-right. I got this instead of the equivalent Echo from Home Despot even though the Echo has a five year warranty instead of the 2 year from Stihl because the Stihl is from an authorized Stihl dealer and they fix it if it breaks. Home Despot sends you to some shop you may never have heard of.

BTW, it calls for 89 octane gas, and I'll use that, but I was wondering if it really makes all that much difference? Most of the 89 octane I can get will have ethanol in it. The service guy said that doesn't void the warranty but that he had heard there were more gasket problems and such with the ethanol blends. I'm hoping that's just rumor.

Chuck

/ Stihl 55r #2  
My FS55RC was 3 years old in March. I used regular 87 octane fuel the first year or two with no problems, but then noticed that I'd overlooked that recommendation for 89 octane and started using the higher octane gas. The manual says the lower octance can result in higher temperatures, which of course can result in serious problems. And the last time I bought the 2 cycle oil, my Stihl dealer now only has the synthetic oil, which is more expensive, but maybe worth it.

I don't know what string trimmer you were using before, but I've used my daughter's two different electric trimmers, and as you said, they turn the opposite direction.:D

/ Stihl 55r #3  
I run 93 octane for small engines mixed with seafoam. I buy 5 gallons of gas, add the
seafoam, and then pour off 1 gallon for 2 cycle mix. I buy the high test as gas loses
octane over time and I rarely use a whole gallon at once. Also, 93 usually doesn't have
ethanol but check before filling up.

My Sthil trimmer is finally getting cranky to run but it's cut a heck of a lot of grass.
May yours perform as well.

/ Stihl 55r #4  
I only buy and mix a gallon at a time, for the 2 cycle (Stihl string trimmer and Mantis tiller) and I always add Stabil to my gas. I'm no expert, so can't say what's best, but so far it's worked well for me.

/ Stihl 55r #5  
I only buy and mix a gallon at a time, for the 2 cycle (Stihl string trimmer and Mantis tiller) and I always add Stabil to my gas. I'm no expert, so can't say what's best, but so far it's worked well for me.

It's all about what works best in your situation. I love all my Stihl stuff and it's great but years ago before I 'discovered' Stihl I bought a Tanaka trimmer that has held up great over 25 years of pretty hard use. It still gives the Stihl's a run for their money.

/ Stihl 55r #6  
It's all about what works best in your situation.

That's exactly right. I don't guess I've ever seen a Tanaka. My first string trimmer (in the early '70s) was an electric Weedeater brand. When it finally died after about 5 years, I bought a Ryan gas string trimmer. It was a cheap lightweight model, but worked just fine. The first time I started to use it the second year, it didn't want to start, but after I tinkered with adjusting the carburetor and got it running, all was well. Neighbor across the alley bought one right after I did, and the next Spring he couldn't get his started until I adjusted the carburetor on his. So, even though they were cheap, I was happy with mine, but before the 3rd year, someone stole it.:( I've used Weedeater, Toro, and Briggs & Stratton electrics and they're not bad for a city lot with light grass, but can't compare with the gas models. I've owned 2 Stihls and a DR trimmer/mower on wheels. I also used a Homelite gas string trimmer that a neighbor bought and for doing fence rows around a pasture out in the country, it simply wasn't up to the task, and after both of us tried it out, he returned it for a refund.

Of course, I've used both straight shaft and curved shaft and hope I never have to go back to a curved shaft of any brand.:D