I HATE Lazy people!!!

/ I HATE Lazy people!!! #1  
Tractor
Use and Take care of but don't own:( Ford 4600 Kubota L245 and International 250
Hey all,
I'm a little ticked so I am going to vent here. One other person and I have a project to do for my school/job and it id do Friday, it is a very involved and long power point presentation that took 6 hours yesterday to get the pics ready, well it is going to take along time(that is obvious) and this other person said ohh he can't make it except for today and Thursday and my teacher/boss said that was ok and on top of this I have to run the working fish farm, that this project is for, My boss said that it was no problem of him showing up because he was sure that I could handle it, I normally could handle it but I have this project as well as other stresses in my life so it is a little hard for me because I need to be doing about three things at once here because I am doing the job of three people. What am I getting at? The forementioned person I guess decided that he didn't want to come to day. The whole thing that makes me mad is that if I said I was going to take most of the week off I would of been told no because the other kid is one of those people that don't do anything but complain like they do and I am on of those people that just works and works without questioning or complaining so my boss thinks I don't do anything and this boy does a lot. this boy just won an award for exellence in Aquaculture at the FFA state convention and he is always getting talked about how hard he works and I don't get any recognition. I know this sounds one sided but alot of other students that are in the class during the year and that help after school agree with me. Really sorry about the long rant but I had to get it off my chest. If any of you have any advice about what to do with my situation, such as how to get more regognition or just make my boss see how much work I actually do, without putting the other kid down because that would make look bad in his eyes will be greatly appreciated.
Nathaniel

/ I HATE Lazy people!!! #2  
Nathaniel,

I'd be willing to guess that just about everyone at some time or other has experienced the same thing that you're experiencing right now. I know I've been there and done that!

For what it's worth, I'd suggest that you try to ignore this individual and do the best job that you can, every time you do a job. I know it's hard to accept, but you will be the person in the long run that benefits the most. You may not get the "public" recognition that this other fellow is getting, but the people who really matter in your life WILL take notice. What really, truly matters is that you will be able to say that you always did your best. Even though this other guy may have gotten these awards, I'd be willing to bet that deep down inside, he knows that they weren't really earned. And that makes them pretty hollow awards.

If you can go to sleep each night saying that you gave everything your best shot that day, you'll be the happier person in the long run. It also seems that if you don't go looking for rewards, they have a habit of showing up when you least expect them, which makes them all that more valuable!

Good luck, and remember - This too shall pass! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ I HATE Lazy people!!! #3  
Ahh, school days again. Sorry to tell you this Nathaniel, but you're going to be dealing with those type of people your whole life. <font color=red>Most</font color=red> of the time they are recognized for who they are, as are you. It may not work that way this time, but those type of people always get what's coming to them.

The good news is that things generally get a lot better. Keep working hard, and look for opportunities that will help you out in the long run. Let your boss know that you work hard, not by telling him/her so, but by showing him/her. Don't be afraid to ask questions or discuss ideas that you have to make things work better. It doesn't have to be anything huge, just something.

Life can seem a little tough sometimes, but focusing on the positives helps a lot.

Maybe others will have some sage advice gleaned from years of experience?

/ I HATE Lazy people!!! #4  
Nathaniel,

Welcome to the real world. Showing up and doing your job well doesn't mean squat. Unfortunately you need to then tell your boss you did a good job. It's all about what management types call visibility.

Here's how you get more visibility: Send you boss drafts of your presentation, ask him to go over it for you & make suggestions. Ask for advice on a project, even if you don't need it. Try to present two viable options and ask the boss to pick the answer. Don't ask "Duh, what should I do". Make small talk with the boss about a project you enjoyed that had good results.

It isn't how well you do the job, it's how well the boss thinks you did the job. I'll bet the other guy is hyping himself up all the time.

Good luck, and I am a firm beliver that the good guys win in the end.

/ I HATE Lazy people!!! #5  
<font color=blue>Good luck, and I am a firm beliver that the good guys win in the end</font color=blue>

I think you have it there.

It does take A LONG TIME but if you do the right thing, it will work out in the end..............

/ I HATE Lazy people!!! #6  
Morning Nathaniel,

It looks like you're getting introduced to that facet of human nature that thinks no one's looking.

I've been a boss. Bosses know who does the work.

I've been a worker. Workers know when the boss is a leader or some fool with a title.

When you get out into the workaday world you'll find all kinds of instances where you're gonna see folks acting the fool cause they think no one's looking. It might be the couple in the office carrying on an affair and they're the only ones thinking no one else knows. Or it might be the thief that feels they deserve their booty or that it won't be found out. The one that sneaks two drinks at lunch and knows no one can tell the difference in his work.

They all operate on the theory that the rest of us are fools can can't see the light of day.

They get theirs and no one cries louder.

So hang in there. Do your work for that is what you do.

/ I HATE Lazy people!!! #7  
Nathaniel,

I’ve been there and as the others have said, many times it is just the way life is. Those who really work hard do win in the end. At times you feel like you never see the end, but as you start looking back on life you see how your efforts paid off in many ways.

One lesson that helped me in those kinds of situations was to document everything. Keep a journal of when, how much and how your time was spent on the job and your present project. If it ever comes down to where credit is due, the documentation is a powerful tool to prove your case.

MarkV

/ I HATE Lazy people!!! #8  
As I read your post, I was thinking of something to say back to you, but all these other guys beat me to it. As you go through your working life, there will always be some oxygen thief who will try to reap the awards of your hard work. That's life, but don't let that stop you from doing all you can. All this stuff may sound like cliches, but a thousand guys on this forum will tell you the same thing-your hard work will pay off some day, and the lazy ones will get theirs in the end too.

/ I HATE Lazy people!!! #9  
Nathaniel. You are getting some great advice here, so I won't duplicate it. Instead, I'll relate to you some similar frustrations my daughter (age 16) has been going through in hopes you might gain some insights...

She has been stuying classical ballet for over ten years now, works incredibly hard at it and is getting quite good....enough to land leading roles and get calls from other ballet companies requesting that she do guest dance appearances. The problem is the other girls in her school, some older than her, are getting very jealous, manipulative and quite mean about it. Her frustration has been considerable and has affected her zeal for her sport to some degree....and has put her through some pain. I told her to practice even harder, not make a big deal of it, dance her heart out and basically avoid and ignore the cattyiness, that it would eventually die out. Well she did what I suggested, but some of the girls would not relent. One jealous girl so wanted the limelight that she told some of the girls in the dance school that she was thinking about using a baseball bat to break my daughter's leg so she could not dance! /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif ....Long story short, some of the girls that heard about all this went to the dance instructors, who called a meeting and lowered the boom.

W Harv is absolutely on target with his sage advice. Supervisors, whether at school or on the job, generally have to have their ears to the ground....and they know who is really putting in quality effort....know who is slacking or trying to grab credit. They will try to balance the scales in their own way if they can.

Others may temporarily seem to be getting undeserved credit and will even try to manipulate others to get it, but in the end the ones (like YOU) who are diligently working for the sake of doing it right WILL be rewarded.

The world works in its own way, Nathaniel....focus on building your skills, keep counsel with honest friends, don't speak ill of others and have patience....in turn you will grow and your efforts WILL be rewarded! Whether you gain deserved recognition or not, once you feel like you have attained something of value, be the first to help someone else along the path. As I'm sure you have heard, "What goes around comes back around".

/ I HATE Lazy people!!! #10  
Nathaniel, You asked for advise and all these guys have given it. I would vote for any one of them to replace Ann Landers column........

Do the work and put your name all over it....... If it's a slide presentation, have a small line down the side of it "prepared by Nathaniel and the date".

Everyone that sees it will know who did it....... Tom