First .22 rifle

/ First .22 rifle #11  
I think if they show an interest in it getting them started young is a good idea. But, as others have mentioned, times have changed. I recall learning to shoot at Boy Scout camp at the age of about 14. I got on a rifle team at the YMCA (they no longer offer that program) and bought my own rifle with my own money in a downtown sporting goods store (out of business now). The salesman asked if I wanted it wrapped or would I like to carry it out? I chose to carry it out. So there I am, about 15 years old, walking down a downtown street carrying a rifle and people are looking at me and smiling and congratulating me on my new gun. I was very proud. Today, I'm pretty sure that wouldn't happen. :p Later that year I took the gun to high school for a presentation on gun safety. I told the teacher my topic, he cleared it with the principal, I arrived at school with my rifle in my trunk, carried it in, had to hand the principal the rifle with the bolt removed and he kept it until English class. Then I got it and took it to class. I wasn't allowed to put the bolt in during class. After school I got it back, put it in my trunk and went home.:)

I also carried a knife almost all my life. Started with my Cub Scout knife at about 8 years of age. I carried it to school every day. As I got older, my choices of knives changed, but to this day I still carry one. I cannot think of one day when I did not use it for something. Cleaning my fingernails. Opening a letter. Making a withdrawal from the bank... :p

/ First .22 rifle #13  
Just what every 5-year old needs :rolleyes::rolleyes: --- a gun. Don't tell me you didn't expect this reply :p

Yeah, what's wrong with starting youngsters out on a bbgun, then a pellet rifle. I don't get it. Don't know what a 5 year old can kill with a 22 that he can't kill with a bbgun, without 40 grains of lead ending up a section over.

/ First .22 rifle #14  
Maybe you should You Tube it and post it like the guy filming his seven year old driving the family car in Northern Quebec (with all of them in it and without seat belts:rolleyes:) We can then be sure that the Darwin awards will continue for quite some time throughout North America :cool:
I too was raised with guns but started out with BB then pellet then .22. A five year old with a .22 is a bit of a stretch for me -- JMHO

/ First .22 rifle
Sorry if some disagree with introducing a kid to shooting when they show an interest. I respect every persons decision when it comes to raising your kids, even if you don't agree with mine. I'll focus on raising my kids and you can concentrate on raising yours.

I don't see any problem with taking your child out with adult supervision and working with them in a constuctive and fun environment. She showed an interest during a father/daughter weekend and I decided she was ready to be introduced, based on her interest and willingness to listen. She doesn't own the gun, I OWN THE GUN and it stays locked in a gun safe along with every other firearm I own to prevent unauthorized access. If she asks to see it, I'll show it to her. If she wants to shoot it, I'll find the time to take her shooting. All shooting is limited to plinking cans or targets until she's an appropriate age and competence to "go to the field". Close supervision and educating is the rule.

Regarding someones comment about a rim fire versus a bb gun. I own both. The little Henry mini-bolt was a better fit for her and when shooting .22 shorts is pushing 700fps with virtually no recoil. Regardless of the gun, remember the ten commandments:

The 10 Commandments of Gun Safety
Help protect our heritage by practicing the 10 Commandments Of Gun Safety

1. Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

2. Guns should be unloaded when not actually in use.

3. Don't rely on your gun's "safety". Treat every gun as if it can fire at any time.

4. Be sure of your target and what's beyond it.

5. Use correct ammunition.

6. If your gun fails to fire when the trigger is pulled, HANDLE WITH CARE. Keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction and get adult help.

7. Always wear eye and ear protection when shooting.

8. Be sure the barrel is clear of obstructions before shooting.

9. Don't alter or modify your gun, and DO have your gun serviced regularly.

10. Learn the mechanical and handling characteristics of the firearm you are using. Do not use any firearm that you have not had adult instruction in handling.

/ First .22 rifle #16  
I too was raised with guns but started out with BB then pellet then .22. A five year old with a .22 is a bit of a stretch for me -- JMHO

Well I can give you my fathers reasoning and the reasoning that I used for not giving me a BB gun or pellet rifle(I still have never owned either). His reasoning was that if you shot it, you needed to have the expection that you would kill what you shot. In other words, if you carry/use a gun you need to be responsible enough to use it properly/safely(do not point a firearm at something that you do not mean to shoot). That is the reason my kids learned at different ages and actually got to start carrying/hunting on their own at different ages. When they acted in other ways to show that they had learned resonsibility for their actions more responsibility was added. This was applied consistently all of their years at home for everything from the smallest things up to getting to use a vehicle to drive. 2 kids got vehicles(vehicles that they had worked/saved for, not gifts) on/around their 16th birthday and 1 did not, he had not shown thru his schoolwork that he was ready for that responsibility. He knew what the expectations where and the consequences.

/ First .22 rifle #17  
for a similar youth rifle search for "chipmunk" single shot .22 rifles

Just my opinion but children that are introduced to shooting and the proper handling of firearms at a younger age grow up with a much better sense of respect for guns and what they are capable of...rather than kids that grow into adulthood without prior experience and may be more prone to carelessness.

I second Pines opinion. It's plain to see that we all pretty much agree on kids/guns. Early education is the key. Maybe they'll take to hunting, maybe not as one has mentioned. If not, there is always target and competition shooting. If not that at the very least you have a good foundation for firearms safety. Mine didn't take to hunting but they had the safety training and learned how to use and not use a firearm. Heck, my youngest was out shooting me within a few lessons, she is a natural.:D

I'm looking forward to posts and pics of trips to the range or plinking aound the place.

Jay

/ First .22 rifle #18  
My grandsons started plinking cans with a Daisy BB gun a few years ago. Then on to shooting some pellet rifles and an introduction to 410 shotgun and 20 gauge shotguns with lite loads.

My 11 year old grandson (while hunting under close supervision with his dad) shot a double on teal with his first ever ducks. And, shot a deer last fall with a 20 guage slug. (this kid is a natural)

I loaded 1000 rounds of 223 ammo this past winter. Both of my grandsons are now about to learn to shoot at the range with guns that have a louder report. I have a heavy barrel gun with a good scope.....and by the end of this summer I expect them to be pretty fair rifle shots.

Both are nearly old enough to be out on their own in the field in a few years. And......they will be ready and safe to hunt by themselves when its legal to do so.

I think this beats waiting till they have an interest....but no past training drilled into em......as so often happens.

/ First .22 rifle #19  
Mossroad reminded me of some times while I was younger. Knives were normally carried in pockets, at school. I never heard of one being pulled on another student. Heck there were times in Ag class when we'd go out to cut some hogs that there would be more than enough knives to get the job done. Most even had an edge on them as well. They were a tool we carried (still do of course) and used when the time came. Might even pull them out while standing around shooting the breeze and whittle on a stick or play "mumbly peg"! (spelling?) Guns? Of course, most back windows had them hanging on a rack right along with a lariat rope. Basic equipment. Unfortunately, the first gun I had stolen was at school. I didn't intentionally take it there it was still hanging in the rack from me going squirrel hunting the weekend before. Some knucklehead seen it and knew that a wing latch on a '71 ford pickup can be raised by using a slim object (PROBABLY A POCKETKNIFE) and then unlock the door to steal the gun!:mad: To make matters worse it was a gun my grandad had passed down to me.:mad::mad: Different times for sure.

Ganzer, I think your doing the right thing. Looking forward to the pics of the range and plinking trip.

Jay

/ First .22 rifle #20  
Only from a canadian:p

gsganzer, I'm glad you're teaching your daughter to shoot and even more importantly that you are teaching her the 10 commandments. My daddy taught me to shoot about that age with a bolt action .22 and I intend to teach my daughter when the time is right. Although I won't pull the same stunt..I was about 10ish and he hands me the 10 gauge double barrel..says yeah pull both triggers at the same time...it drove me right to the ground..I laugh now but at the time it sure did hurt. Cheers!

btw, I love guns, and I'm a Canadian. :D