First .22 rifle

/ First .22 rifle #1  

gsganzer

Elite Member
Tractor
L3800 w/FEL and BH77, BX 2200 w/FEL and MMM
I just wanted to share a nice little .22 rifle with those that might be looking for a kids first gun.

I bought this Henry Mini-bolt for my 5 year old daughter. I bought the black one. I don't think much of the flourescent orange, because I think it makes it look too much like a toy, which is the wrong message I want to send (IMO). I paid right at $200 for it.

The gun is real compact, although it's still a little too large for a five year old to hold up, unassisted. We used some haybales for a rest, until she gets bigger. It's a single shot bolt action, which gives you some flexibility on ammo. I started my daughter using .22 shorts, we'll work up to long rifles later. It will not take magnums.

Most important, the gun has some great safety features. First, the simplicity of a bolt is easy to understand and if the bolts open anyone can see that it's safe. Second, manual cocking. You have to pull the firing mechanism back to cock it, once you have a round loaded and the bolt closed. This also allows you to uncock it if needed. Thirdly, it also has a manual safety.

The williams fire sights are also nice. It's more intuitive for a kid to get the hang of what a proper sight picture should look like.

I'm real pleased with how it shoots. I took it to the range today to sight it in and give it the full run through. When I showed up at the range, I ran into Bird :)(you know, the TBN icon that is probably approaching 1M posts:D). What a small world. Maybe we'll hook up again and can have a day at the range plinking targets. I shot the gun using both .22 shorts and .22 longs. It shoots nice groups and handles very well. I might take a finishing stone to the trigger group so it's a little smoother, but the pull is acceptable for a kids rifle.

Just thought I'd share a nice find.

/ First .22 rifle #2  
That reminds me of a youth single shot bolt action made by Winchester years ago. If you could find one, it would set you back $500.

/ First .22 rifle #5  
for a similar youth rifle search for "chipmunk" single shot .22 rifles

Just my opinion but children that are introduced to shooting and the proper handling of firearms at a younger age grow up with a much better sense of respect for guns and what they are capable of...rather than kids that grow into adulthood without prior experience and may be more prone to carelessness.

/ First .22 rifle #6  
Just my opinion but children that are introduced to shooting and the proper handling of firearms at a younger age grow up with a much better sense of respect for guns and what they are capable of...rather than kids that grow into adulthood without prior experience and may be more prone to carelessness.

I don't disagree at all with this. I was taught under my Dad's close supervision how to shoot a .22 when I was maybe 10 or 11, but I sure didn't have my own gun. But 5 years old sure seems young to me to be packin heat (kidding about the last phrase - just emphasizing).

/ First .22 rifle #7  
Also, Davy Cricket. I bought one for my son for his first christmas. It has to be the smallest one I've ever seen.

/ First .22 rifle #8  
When I showed up at the range, I ran into Bird :)(you know, the TBN icon that is probably approaching 1M posts:D). What a small world. Maybe we'll hook up again and can have a day at the range plinking targets. I shot the gun using both .22 shorts and .22 longs. It shoots nice groups

I didn't look at your targets, but I'm sure it was a lot better groups than I shot with my old revolvers.:D

NSBound, I don't think Gordon (gsganzer) is turning his daughter loose with the gun. He's a lot more knowledgeable than that.:D But it can be "hers" and yet only shot in his company for awhile. And I actually did get my own Remington .22 single shot rifle when I was 10. And I hunted squirrels and rabbits alone.

/ First .22 rifle #9  
I bought one of the chipmunk rifles to teach my kids to shoot on. It is still in the safe, ready for the next set of kids/grandkids:D. I started the oldest and the middle one at the same time, about 8 and 6. The youngest was more hyper than the other 2 and he didn't start getting to learn until he was about 10 or 11. They did not get to use a gun alone however until quite a bit later(13 or 14). I learned to shoot when I when I was six or so and rabbit hunting alone by the time I was 7 or 8, with an adult Winchester .22. Anymore if a kid brings a .22 bullet to school in his pocket it is grounds to be expelled. When I was in grade school in the 60's there where always .22 shells mixed in the change in my pocket(my knife was in my other pocket;)) and nobody thought a thing about it.

/ First .22 rifle #10  
I didn't look at your targets, but I'm sure it was a lot better groups than I shot with my old revolvers.:D

NSBound, I don't think Gordon (gsganzer) is turning his daughter loose with the gun. He's a lot more knowledgeable than that.:D But it can be "hers" and yet only shot in his company for awhile. And I actually did get my own Remington .22 single shot rifle when I was 10. And I hunted squirrels and rabbits alone.
And we can see what a scalawag you turned into, Bird.;) We "gave" our oldest a single-shot 20 gauge when he was 12. It stayed in my gun safe...locked. He could see me and get it out and look at it, handle it, clean it, under my supervision. When we went out shooting he was never allowed to load until his turn to shoot, in position and ready. He learned well, and took his first (and only) deer about 4 years later. He never developed the interest in hunting or shooting that I had. Still....I have never regretted making that shotgun "his" on his 12th birthday.