Only SF would pull this stunt!

/ Only SF would pull this stunt! #1  

wasabi

Platinum Member
Tractor
PT2445 and PT1850
This just in: The 9th circuit court (San Francisco) has ruled that the inclusion of the two words "under God" as included in our Pledge of Allegiance, now constitues a violation of the Constitution on the United States inasmuch as they fail to honor the separation of church and state. I RESENT THIS DEEPLY! Anyone else feel similarly? Write your officials!!!

/ Only SF would pull this stunt! #2  
Re: Only SF would pull this!

No, I agree with it completely. In God We Trust should also be removed from our currency. I'm not going to go to war over it, however. A little more hypocrisy doesn't really get to me any more. I'd rather we pledge allegiance to the country than to the symbol though. Seems to me it might alleviate some problems.

Chuck

/ Only SF would pull this stunt! #3  

Doug,

I don't know if I'd worry too much about it. After all, they ARE from California!! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Seriously - that really torques my jaws! /w3tcompact/icons/mad.gif I agree with you. But are they making some kind of recommendation to remove it, or what? Are they going to arrest anyone who doesn't stop saying it? I would expect that their decision only affects California, at least at this point in time. This'll get interesting! /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif

An aside - when you going to modify your signature to reflect your PT 2445?

/ Only SF would pull this stunt!

My guess is that the pivotal lawsuit was brought by some group offended by kids saying the Pledge in school (as most of us Boomers grew up doing) ...the ruling may result in an amended verse or the elimination of the Pledge all together in schools.....or, per cowboydoc's recent thread, maybe they will require that the Pledge be simul-translated into Spanish!

<font color=blue>An aside - when you going to modify your signature to reflect your PT 2445?</font color=blue>

I've noticed that we TBNers can always count on you for levity when it is needed. Thanks for lowering my blood pressure just a bit by reminding me of what is really important /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif I'll get right on it, Golfgar

/ Only SF would pull this stunt! #5  

Always my pleasure to help out! /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif even if I didn't realize that I was helping!!/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Only SF would pull this stunt! #6  

With their track record of fires and earthquakes, SF better not piss off God.

/ Only SF would pull this stunt! #7  

Right on... Rocky2.... With the fires, water shortages, electricity shortages, earthquakes (and mighty close to the ocean), mud slides, and now this. California had better see the light.

/ Only SF would pull this stunt! #8  

<font color=blue>I don't know if I'd worry too much about it. After all, they ARE from California!!</font color=blue>

Yeah, we have our share of (but not a total monoploly on) weirdos here, but I gotta tell you that most of us Californy types are as shocked and outraged about this "decision" as the rest of the country.

I don't have real strong feelings over the issue itself, but with all the problems facing this country right now, I'd think the courts could find something better to focus their energies on. /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif

<font color=blue>the fires, water shortages, electricity shortages, earthquakes (and mighty close to the ocean), mud slides, and now this</font color=blue>

Don't forget the drought, the floods, tornados, hurricanes, blizzards, and ... oh, wait! Those are more typical of other parts of the country. /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif (No, not trying to start anything. Just had to toss it in there.
crazy.gif
)

God bless America. (Oops! I hear sirens...)

/ Only SF would pull this stunt! #9  
Doug:
Way back, when I recited the pledge every morning in school, it didn't contain the words "under God". According to one study, that was added in 1954, under pressure by the Knights of Columbus. More interesting to me is the observation that its original author didn't include the word "equality" with liberty and justice, because state education officials weren't really in favor of that. Seems the pledge is a bit more plastic than we may have learned as kids. See <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.vineyard.net/vineyard/history/pledge.htm>LINK</A>
So, how are the PT repairs going?

/ Only SF would pull this stunt! #10  
There are too many different religions to say whose god the pledge is referring to. Your god? My god? His god? Her god? Some people don't have a god and some people have more than one( I don't mean to offend anyone by using a small g in god because I am not talking about God the being, I am talking about the term god). The pledge of allegiance should be to the United States of America, period. Nationalism has a great place in my heart. I love this country and am happy to live here. However, from my observations, most nations that are based on religion are messed up. Keep government out of religion. Government is supposed to be there to provide basic services for all of the people and that is where it should stop.

I hope I didn't offend anyone; I would feel horrible if I did. That is just my opinion and yours might be different.

Best wishes to all TBNers /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif