Pledge of Allegiance

/ Pledge of Allegiance #1  

Youare

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3000
I am quite dissapointed that a court of the United States of America would find the Pledge of Allegiance to the United States unconstitutional because it has "under God" in it.

These words were added in 1954, and I'm glad they were.
My feeling is that if some one finds them hurtful or disagrees with them they have every right to move to a different country.

Our forefathers who founded this country founded it as a nation under God. More and more the foundations of this country are under attack, if not by terriorist in airplanes then by terrorist in the court rooms.

If someone does not like how this country was founded and the principles on which it was founded then they should find a place that matches their convictions, but leave things here alone.

It is a sad day to hear of rulings like this in our own court system. I am proud to say that I acknowledge that I am under God's authority, who else cares about me like He does?

/ Pledge of Allegiance #2  
<font color=blue>I am proud to say that I acknowledge that I am under God's authority, who else cares about me like He does?</font color=blue>

Amen....my friend, how right you are.

"For I am sure that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord." Rom. 8:38-39

/ Pledge of Allegiance #4  
<font color=blue>"If someone does not like how this country was founded and the principles on which it was founded then they should find a place that matches their convictions"</font color=blue>

First, let me say I personally prefer the pledge of allegience with the words "under God" in it.

Of course, I'm a believer in a Christian God. If I were Buddhist, agnostic or any of hundreds of other sets of beliefs, I would probably feel differently.

I don't think the "believe what we believe or leave" philosphy you espouse is particularly indicative of what our founding fathers professed when they sought to find freedom of beliefs from a state religion in England. If I were forced to choose between living somewhere governed as you suggest or here the way things are even with this decision, I'd stay

/ Pledge of Allegiance #5  
Yes it is a sad day when the nation's foundations are being undermined by such antics. "Under God" doesn't say who that individual is. If some don't want to say the phrase, they aren't compelled to. If they want to think of their tractor as God they are allowed to. I'll always say the Pledge of Allegiance with that simple phrase though.

/ Pledge of Allegiance
This country was established so that there would be freedom for it's people to worship God without the influence and dictates of government. The seperation of Church and State was for the protection of the Church.

The original intent was that the State would have no regulation over the affairs of the Church. This whole thing has been convoluted and misapplied so that now the State is dictating and controlling the actions of the Church.

I am not advocating that anyone who does not believe in God leave this country. However, if the constitution of this country is not one an individual can whole heartedly support and would give their life to protect then they should either be quiet and live here in peace or move to a land that supports their beliefs.

The bottom line is that the people who are trying to seperate Church and State are not trying to get rid of the church, their problem is with the Christian God. The next thing to go will be "In God we Trust" on our currency.

I'm all for freedom of religion, a person should be able to worship what they view as "God" as long as they do not try ro take away my freedom to do the same. Down through the histroy of this great nation God has been revered as One who guided and protected the people of this land, I see no reason to change things now.

Just after 9/11 people flocked to our nations churches to find comfort and hope, how soon we forget.

I'll jump off my little soap box for now. My apologies to any one who has been affended becasue you do not like the pharse "under God". Please allow those of us who do to say it as we allow those of you who don't to not say it, but do not try to legislate away our privlieges.

Randy

/ Pledge of Allegiance #7  
Only in Kalifornia would something like this happen.

As to when the term "under God" was added. It was 1954. Under pressure from the president, Congress added the phrase as a slam against the "godless" communists.

Only in America can a court rule our country's pledge unconstitutional. But then we had a president that stomped all over the constitution for 2 terms...go figure.

I remember a Red Skelton program where he recited the Pledge and said "Wouldn't it be a shame if it was considered a preyer and was banned from our schools". Could he see the future?

Vince

/ Pledge of Allegiance #8  
This was all over the talk radio here. I was surprised as there seemed to be a fair amount of support for the court decision. Most of the supportors raised the same point of seperation of church and state. Wanted to know what God has to do with running our country anyway.

I find that amusing. Personally I am an athesist. But I live in a truly wonderful country that was founded on Judeo-christian beliefs. And that has a lot to do with how our country is set up. It is why we don't stone adulterers, cut off the hands of thieves or call for all good citizens to kill an author for words he wrote. It is why we have indivual rights, property rights and voting rights. It is why we have a trial by our peers. It has a lot to do with how we govern ourselves.

Most of the "experts" feel it will be overturned. I hope so. I may not believe in God but hearing GW Bush invoke His name makes me feel good that we have a President who takes all those Judeo-christian principles seriously.

/ Pledge of Allegiance #9  
<font color=blue>I am proud to say that I acknowledge that I am under God's authority, who else cares about me like He does?</font color=blue>

Well said!

TBone

/ Pledge of Allegiance #10  
I've got a funny story that kinda relates to that...

I buy my fuel at a local Texaco station. I pulled in there one morning to find the owner throwing out all the Dr. Pepper. Not throwing in the garbage, throwing it out the front door. Cans rolling everywhere.

Well it seems after 9/11, Dr. Pepper came out with a special can, it had part of the pledge on, but left out the "under God" part. When he came in that morning and saw that on the shelves, and went ballistic.