A damp morning

/ A damp morning #1  

Gary_in_Indiana

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 4200 MFWD HST w/ JD 420 FEL w/ 61" loader bucket & toothbar & JD 37 BH w/ 12" bucket
We were inundated with six inches of rain last night! Along with that we got some hail and high winds downing trees and power lines causing the typical damage.

This morning we have a number of streets and roads closed due to downed trees and flooding. A number of people awoke to find cars they'd parked on the street partially submerged. What a way to start your day.

We also lost a beautiful clubhouse/golf academy at our Jack Nicklaus designed golf course here when a tree fell on it and caused an electical fire. Fire departments from at least five surrounding communities joined ours to fight the blaze but it was to no avail. All that remains is a pile of charred rubble.

I'm heading out to my property right now and I"m sure I'll find I have an indoor pond in the barn. The one upside for me is I have to drive two 8' ground rods flush to the surface for my new electrical service today and this will probably make that task a bit easier. Always looking for the silver lining here. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ A damp morning #2  
Gary, sorry to hear of your weather but glad you're finding that silver lining. we had a bunch of wind and thunder but not much rain to speak of. I slept right through it all but my wife said she and the kids were up a couple of times.

Bright sunshine now, same for you? /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ A damp morning #3  
All very aware of what you are talking about.... Didn't know about the Golf Course though.

As the Fort was getting hammered we kept getting blackouts and brownouts here. The brownouts got so bad I shut down the Air Conditioning to keep from compressor damage.

Although these storms can cause a lot of damage I still enjoy a good storm.

Like they say, Lightening makes the Corn grow....

Tom

/ A damp morning #4  
Tom, whereabouts in the Hoosier state are you from? I'm in South Bend (for another couple of months anyway), originally from Indy /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ A damp morning
Yesterday was a nice day once you found a route through town. It only took me three tries to get from where I live out to my land. Some neighborhoods were completely inaccessible so I'll count myself lucky. All of our city and county offices were closed all day yesterday due to the flooding downtown. They're supposed to reopen today. I can't imagine how musty it'll be there.

Late yesterday I talked with someone in Seattle, WA who told me she'd heard about our rain and flooding on the news out there. All I could think was that for rain elsewhere to make the news in Seattle is impressive. I also spoke with a customer in nearby Huntington, IN only about twenty miles down the road who told me they didn't even get a sprinkle while we were getting clobbered. Go figure.

/ A damp morning #6  
I live between Columbia City and Warsaw, we had some rain, but not even close to what you got in Fort Wayne.
I hope your situation at your property isn't as bad as you expect.

Gene

/ A damp morning
Gene,

Thanks for the good wishes. I had water standing inside the barn 6"-8" deep in about a third of it and far more wet floor than dry. I found leaks in the roof I'd never seen before. Part of my drive had simply disappeared but I was able to drive around that lake. The good news was that nothing that really needed to be kept dry got wet, though I did have a couple gallons of water in a toolbox I'd left open. I counted myself lucky. It could have been a lot worse.

Which diesel shop are you in out that way? I have a few semi's on the road myself along with dealing in some, too.

/ A damp morning #8  
Hello Gary,
I'm sorry for the late reply to your post. I have been building my grandaughter a chest of drawers (woodworking is one of my hobbies) and I haven't checked TBN until today.

I work for Fleet Service (NAVL).

I imagine by now that your problem is one of not enough water! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Gene

/ A damp morning
Gene, my property is about dead north of the Fleet Service trailer shop. If you use old 30 to avoid the construction you drive by it. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

As to the moisture, I still have a wet barn floor but it's drying out some now. Next time I'm out at Fleet Service for something I'll stop and say "Hello." Small world, this internet thing. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif