My dog is real sick.

/ My dog is real sick. #1  

N80

Tractor
Kubota L4400 4wd w/LA 703 FEL
My 7 year old Lab started limping with his front left leg Sunday afternoon. He had not had any injury that we could tell. It got worse Sunday night and he was stumbling a little bit and obviously in a lot of pain. Monday morning he was about the same and my wife took him to the vet. At the vet's he got even worse and started falling over. They sedated him and did xrays of his back and neck which were normal. They sent him home on pain meds and prednisone assuming that he had a slipped disk in his neck. He was sedated most of last night and was not able to get up or walk at all. His left front paw was contracted and he had no strength in his back legs at all. During the night he was able to get up for a minute and pee (on the floor of course). He is a little better this morning. He has stood up a couple of times and taken a few steps but is still very wobbly and weak and obviously in pain. Its pretty pitiful.

I've had pets all my life but I'm closer to this dog than any other I've ever had. The vet says he'll need an MRI if he doesn't get better quick and that will cost $1500 and that if it is a disk he will need surgery which will be very expensive. If it is a tumor, nothing can be done.

I've never spent big bucks on a sick pet before but in my heart I feel like I'll probably do whatever I can for this dog. Anyone of you guys ever been down this road?

/ My dog is real sick. #2  
Anyone of you guys ever been down this road?

Short answer...Yes. There are no right or wrong options, you do what you can. We were able to afford treatment that maybe others could not have and I do not regret it for a heartbeat. Only you know what is within your means...there are no easy answers. :(

/ My dog is real sick.
Thanks guys. You might remember that a few months ago I posted here about my daughter's horse. It got kicked and got a broken leg and had to be put down. That was rough. And she is as attached to this dog as I am. This could be really tough on her.

/ My dog is real sick. #5  
Thanks guys. You might remember that a few months ago I posted here about my daughter's horse. It got kicked and got a broken leg and had to be put down. That was rough. And she is as attached to this dog as I am. This could be really tough on her.

N80,

Did you vet check your dog for Lyme's? When my (currently 8yrs) was three, she got lame on me, and couldn't run, and had no stamina what-so-ever. It ended up being Lyme's. The vet gave her a course of antibiotics, and within about a month she was better. Lyme's stays in the body permanently. It doesn't get cured, it just goes into remission, and relapses can happen. Fortunately, she hadn't had a relapse.

Good luck, I know how tough these situations can be. My last lab before this one had to be put down at 6yrs old because she got an auto-immune problem that caused her bowels to stop absorbing nutrients and calories from food. She was literally starving to death.

Take care,
Jay

/ My dog is real sick. #6  
I hope your buddy gets better, I had a similar problem with my dog this past spring. He had a bulged disk in his back he was in so much pain it made me hurt. The vet gave him a cordizon shot and steroid pills luckily it fixed him right up but I fear he will have more problems in the future. When your little friend is pain like that it its hard to know what do for them. I wish you the best.

/ My dog is real sick. #7  
N80.
What is your Buddy's name.

As far as paying $$ to help him.
To me it's a no brainer....Do it.

Hope everything turns better for you and Fido!

/ My dog is real sick. #8  
Sorry to here George , Its a reall tough decision to make .

I,ve been there with a 6 year old Doby , She got hit by a truck & I took her to the vet & He said He thought He could save her . I said do what You can . I went in weekly to check on her & Pay Him what I could afford so I didn,t get behind . He ended up having to replace both Hips Needless to say thats Very expensive .

He kept Her so He could help her through therapy & My visits went from weeklly to monthly as I had allready gave Him a little over 5 grand . He had Her close to a year & She ended up being their little helper & was loose in the office most times .

I pretty much gave up on getting Her back , But the day before Christmas the secretary called Me & said the doc wanted to see Me . I wasn,t in the position to pay anymore so I had to think wether I should go or not Knowing I couldn,t afford anymore at the time . But I went . When I got there Everyone was acting all sad , so I feared the worst . a few Minutes later They brought her out in the office with a big red bow on Her & said Merry Christmas , Paid in full as Long as They could come visit Her when they wanted to .

So in My case it was well worth it, She lived a very happy life till She was 12 years old & Just didn,t wake up one morning . Sorry for the long story , I just thought I,d share My experience . Some times good things come out of bad things.

I wish You the best & hopefully it will work out for You . My thoughts & prayers are with You & all concerned . Bob

/ My dog is real sick. #9  
I have been down this road with my female lab, Amber.

She started limping on her rear leg, and it turned out to be a tumor. Fortunately benign, but in a very bad place. Vet bills were on the order of $1000 and she is on medication which is about $1/day.

I think that when I get a dog I accept a responsibility. The dog gives me 100% of its love and devotion, and didn't even get a choice in who was going to adopt it.

My obligation is to give the dog the best care I can reasonably afford.

No, I didn't like spending the money, but my family wasn't going to do without anything at all if I did, so I spent it. Oh, maybe I would have liked a new hunting rifle, and maybe some new gear, but I can live without them, and I didn't need them.

/ My dog is real sick. #10  
Sorry to hear of the problems. Surely hope all comes out well.:D