Simple Pleasures

/ Simple Pleasures #1  

BB_TX

Veteran Member
Home-1+ acres New Hope, TX / 24 acres-Fannin Count
Tractor
JD 950
Amazing how grandkids can bring out the kid in you and make you remember and appreciate the simple things in life.
My son wanted to take my 3 yr. old grandson camping, so 2 weekends ago we went up to the "farm" and pitched a tent down by the creek. Have a shop there but no house yet. We cooked supper on a grill. Went over to neighbor's pond and fished. Grandson caught his first fish. Something special about seeing the amazement in his face. Then his mother caught her first ever fish. That was almost as special. Went back at dark and built a fire and roasted marshmallows and watched the lighting bugs. Grandson, son, and I crawled in the tent, bedrolls on the ground. (ladies went to the shop where there was a bed, bathroom, and AC). Listened to the sounds of the night; frogs, crickets, owls, coyotes, etc. This is way I was raised and the way I raised my kids, but it has been a long time since I had been camping or fishing. Really brought back memories./w3tcompact/icons/love.gif
Then, this weekend my wife bought a slip-n-slide for my grandson. They came over yesterday, and first thing you know, I am running down the yard sliding on the slip-n-slide with my grandson. /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif
Next grandchild (girl) due in about 3 weeks. I figure this is either going to keep me young or kill me./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Simple Pleasures #2  
Glad to see your having a good time. My first kid is due in a few weeks, and I cant wait. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gifThough I will have to wait a few years till its older to do the camping thing.

/ Simple Pleasures #3  
Sounds like a great time was had by all. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Simple Pleasures #4  
Grandkids are fun. Took my 3 year old grandson to the Lake of the Ozarks for about a week first part of June. I rented a pontoon boat and a friend brought a ski boat. We also rented Jet Ski's. What a blast! Used the pontoon for base with drinking water, snacks, etc, and took turns Jet Skiing and tubing behind the Ski Boat. Grandson loved to ride on the Jet Ski's but I didn't even think of putting him on the tube.

I assumed he would be afraid but about the third day he wanted to know when it was his turn on the tube. A two man tube, I put him on it with an adult and he absolutely loved it. The toughest job from them on was getting him off the tube so others could ride.

/ Simple Pleasures #5  
How right your are, Bill. My grandson (just turned 13) has loved fishing since he was big enough to hold a pole. Of course, reading about pitching a tent . . . well, I guess timing is everything. He and his mother (our youngest daughter) are vacationing this week. They went to Lake Whitney Saturday, pitched a tent, caught a few little fish, etc., but then the rains arrived yesterday/w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif. They showed up here about 8 p.m. last night with the trunk of the car full of wet tent, wet clothes, etc./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif So they spent the night here, did laundry, and we hung the tent in my shop to dry. This morning they headed for New Braunfels for a scheduled float trip down the Guadalupe River, but that got cancelled (they got a rain check) because of flooding. So they went on to a hotel in San Antonio./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

And we got about nine-tenths of an inch of rain yesterday evening, then this afternoon it hit at 3:25 p.m., electric power went off for an hour and 15 minutes, and we got another three-quarters of an inch of rain./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif And NBC news shows it's hotter in New England and Chicago than it is here./w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif Weird weather.