Local Tractor get together in Austria

/ Local Tractor get together in Austria #11  
I added one picture of my nieces...

They're some cute little girls, too. But that house and yard are fantastic. Someone puts a lot of effort and work into that place and its landscaping.

/ Local Tractor get together in Austria #12  
They are one beefy looking tractor..interesting.
Thanks for sharing. :)

/ Local Tractor get together in Austria
They're some cute little girls, too. But that house and yard are fantastic. Someone puts a lot of effort and work into that place and its landscaping.

Thank you... they are my pride and joy and always a pleasure to be around!

It's definitely a different way of life there... farmers can still farm and most everyone in that area comes from a farm family and understands living a semi-rural life.

A couple of years ago I invited friends from work in California to stay a few days and they couldn't believe "Everyone lives in million dollar homes"... they were expecting Austria to be a third world country.

The truth is these homes are self built and it may take 10, 15 or even 20 years before they are finished inside and out...

Not unusual for a newly wed couple to get a cement mixer as a wedding present if they are lucky enough to have a place to build... they use the pay as you go method to build and that's why it takes years to finish.

There's a lot of pride of ownership for the years of work it takes... The radiant heating systems, often fueled by any combination of oil, wood and solar and even propane backup are super efficient and the craftsmanship is superb... some of the kitchens look like they belong in Fine Home Building. Building Code REQUIRES that every home have a wood rated chimney so the option of heating with wood exists.. whether it is used or not.

By the way... the girls, my nieces, are California born and raised... although, given half a chance they would be quite content living in Austria... they can't get enough time around the farm... especially helping out with the chores and giving names to every baby pig, goat and calf ;-)

We visited another cousin that makes award winning goat cheese that is served in 5 star restaurants on the day they were making pork sausages... from start to finish.

I thought the girls would be squeamish, but they jumped right in and I even made a 60 pound batch... nothing like the flavor of fresh sausages made that morning.

I think it's sad that many kids today are so far removed from the basics of farm life or even being exposed to it... it's a lifestyle where you can be very self-sufficient.

Old/Antique Tractors are a fast growing hobby and many of the old tractors still get used once in awhile around the farms. My cousin sells wood/firewood on the side and has a beautiful Air Conditioned Fendt with winches and a crane mounted trailer that is just fun to watch... he still uses his 50 year old Tractor once in a while to get into a spot to small for the big Fendt.

Last edited:
   / Local Tractor get together in Austria #14  
I'll have to admit to knowing next to nothing about Austria, but what you just posted makes it sound great. Of course, it also makes it sound as if the people there might have more sense than most of us over here. I've enjoyed this thread and appreciate your pictures and information.

/ Local Tractor get together in Austria #15  
Great pictures!!! Thanks for sharing. The seat on the fenders suprised me. One of those things that I just never thought of before. Too bad we don't have them here, my 8 year old always wants to ride along, but he's too big to fit anywhere.

Eddie

Great pictures!!! Thanks for sharing. The seat on the fenders suprised me. One of those things that I just never thought of before. Too bad we don't have them here, my 8 year old always wants to ride along, but he's too big to fit anywhere.

Eddie

Growing up I thought every tractor had fender seats... great way to spend time with your kids and show them what you do... I've never seen a tractor in the States with one...

Most of the new tractors have cabs... so fender seats are a thing of the past.

Good to hear from you Eddie!

/ Local Tractor get together in Austria #19  
Amazing how many tractors showed up for this, even though it looks cold and rainy. I really like the canopy with the windshields on some of them. They even have windshield wipers, but no side walls. Lots of fender seats too!!!!

The countryside is beautiful. We really liked Austria a lot. When are you going back there again?

Eddie

The last 3 years there's been too much turmoil at work to get away... I had been going every 2 years for 3-4 weeks.

The fender seats are the best...

Whole families would ride to market and back only with the tractor... now it's the Mercedes or BMW or dad's Porsche.

As a kid, it was all I could do to crank the Diesel fast enough to get it to start... the bunt "Glow Plug" made all the difference when cold.

I'm fascinated by old tractors...