Eustace Conway modern day frontiersman

/ Eustace Conway modern day frontiersman #1  

Hillbilly

Platinum Member
I seen this guy on a Connie Chung interview the other night..........never heard of him before,most interesting.<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cgi.citizen-times.com/cgi-bin/story/13589>http://cgi.citizen-times.com/cgi-bin/story/13589</A>

/ Eustace Conway modern day frontiersman #2  
Lotsa people like that in this neighborhood. They don't pay the electric or water bill and pretty soon they're hauling water from the neighbor's house and cooking on a barbique pit. Most of 'em skip the baths even when the water is on. The dope and beer bill gets paid, though.

/ Eustace Conway modern day frontiersman #3  
I've actually met this man. I visited Turtle Island about 11 years ago, when Eustace was just starting out. Some friends of mine had wanted me to meet him.

I remember him to be a very driven man, very focused, and very polite. He is the opposite of lazy, so comparing him to the sorry "dope and beer" people is really inaccurate. We camped there for a couple of days and he offered to have us come stay with him, but we declined.

What impresseed me was that he didn't look down on us because we weren't interested in his lifestyle, and the fact that my views on many things were very different than his. Many people who choose that type of lifestyle do it for the wrong reasons and look down on the rest of us with disdain. He didn't do that.

We've never been back, and I really hadn't heard anything about him until I saw this post.

I just wanted to set the record straight. When I met this guy I could tell he was for real. He is not some lost hippie trying to open a commune. He was a true gentleman who has obviously made a committment to a lifestyle, and he has stuck with it. That, in my book, is admirable.

/ Eustace Conway modern day frontiersman
unaka,
This guy definately has a quality about him....very unique and seems like a genuinely nice person.Said he left for the woods when he was 17 years old and built a tee pee and lived in it for 25 years,no radio/t.v etc.
He was on Connie Chung the other night and said it was the 1st time he had ever heard of her.Very interesting segment with this guy.

/ Eustace Conway modern day frontiersman #5  
Very interesting story and man...

Not to do with the story its self but what I found interesting was, or is. Today is 7/02/02, 9:16pm, I looked and you posted this 7/01/02 9:41pm, the paper is dated <font color=blue>7/03/02</font color=blue> /w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif
By the way, I am about 40 min west of Asheville

/ Eustace Conway modern day frontiersman #6  
I too saw that piece....very interesting...and, not to take anything away from his acomplishments, which I thoroughly respect, however, being a financially oriented guy, I had to wonder..../w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif he put together over 1,000 acres...obviously started with something....maybe a trust fund kind of guy?

whatever his background, backing and motivation, you've got to love a guy who loves the woods that much, eh?

Asheville.........I was down there a few years back..Stopped at the Biltmore.........Amazing place..Nice area.

Really do admire a guy that is one with nature and at peace with himself...He does what he loves and does it well.

/ Eustace Conway modern day frontiersman #9  
I posted this mostly in jest. I just forgot the emoticons. :) I know, or knew, quite a few people like him in the desert in Nevada and the mountains in California. They didn't own a thousand acres, though.

I know where you are coming from/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gifall in fun./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif