Lone Eagle 7mm-BR

/ Lone Eagle 7mm-BR #1  

Robert_in_NY

Tractor
Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554
I have a chance to buy a Lone Eagle from Magnum Research in the 7mm-BR caliber. It has a Tasco scope and the dies for reloading along with bullets, brass and 20 rounds of loaded ammo. I am keeping it overnight and will shoot it tomorrow and see how it handles but I don't know much at all about this gun or caliber. My gun dealer friend said the price seems decent. The guy is asking $275 for everything. Is it worth it? Is there anything good or bad about the Lone Eagle I should know about?

I am use to shooting a .35 pistol and have let my dad use that one for deer hunting the last couple years since I was hurt and I am thinking of getting this one for myself to use and letting my dad keep using the .35. The only thing I would want to do is get a bipod for this pistol to help steady it for looking through the scope.

/ Lone Eagle 7mm-BR #2  
Googled about them; lots of info. Non really great though. Appears it was something Magnum Research bought from another company. Interesting design.

7mmBR is a really cool round...

I personally like the TC Contender with a 12" ported .375 JDJ barrel. Have shot one of those; sweet 2" 200 yard groups from a bench...

I have had a Desert Eagle; that pistol is awesome.

/ Lone Eagle 7mm-BR #3  
Robert, you might check Graybeard.com. The guys on that site know their guns.

/ Lone Eagle 7mm-BR #4  
I happen to own a TC Contender...but find the MR Lone Eagle to be an interesting gun. I think the caliber (7 BR) should be an excellent choice for targets and for deer size critters. Googleing this gun will find lots of good reading.

Personally, I have never become much good at shooting a handgun. I tried to like 'em....but always revert back to a rifle. I took my Contender along several times on a prairie dog shoot (I have both 223 and 7x30 Waters barrels). I had a friend along that could shoot my contender pretty well..but I mostly got "near misses."

Sorry to say.....I never developed enough confidence in a handgun to use it for big game hunts. Plus....both my barrels on the TC are ported......and shooting 'em will blow my ears out if I forget to put my muffs on. I cannot afford any more hearing loss. :(

/ Lone Eagle 7mm-BR #5  
I have a ten inch .223 T/C and it is way loud!!!

I have killed a few hogs with it using a .44 Mag barrel though.

/ Lone Eagle 7mm-BR
Well I bought it. Midway USA can get brass and that was our biggest concern so we have more brass on the way as soon as Midway gets it in. I will replace the Tasco scope real soon as well as add a bipod mount. And of course, 12 hours after I bought this gun another friend of mine offers to sell me his 35 caliber Contender that would be the twin of the one I already have. He has the reloading dies and brass for that also. Oh well, that is how it works:rolleyes:

Thanks for the replies. When I get a new scope I will give a quick review of this 7mm-BR if anyone is interested.

/ Lone Eagle 7mm-BR #7  
If a contender was in my future, it would surely be in a JDJ cartridge. I am amazed at the accuracy and power of the 375 JDJ. It is a 444 Marlin case necked to 375. I shot my Uncles; it was amazing how accurate that thing was. He has taken numerous Elk with his.

friend of mine offers to sell me his 35 caliber Contender that would be the twin of the one I already have. He has the reloading dies and brass for that also. Oh well, that is how it works:rolleyes: