New snake gun on the way, snake boot question

/ New snake gun on the way, snake boot question #1  

parallel

Bronze Member
Tractor
None... yet.
I had a close encounter with a cottonmouth yesterday. I was tooling through my yard about 20 yards from the treeline and seen him coming my way quick. I stopped and backed off but he kept coming. I went left, he followed suit. So, I pulled out my PM9 from my pocket and took two shots at him. Of course I missed, but at least it made him go the other way. So this morning I bought a Taurus Public Defender (smaller judge) so that I might actually be able to hit the damned things. It should be here by the next time i need to do lawn work.

I also went by Cabelas to get some snake boots. The only ones that fit, I have wide feet (and a wide ***), cost nearly $170 and were insulated. Any leads for a decent pair of snake boots that are available in wide widths, won't break the bank and won't bake my feet in the Louisiana heat?

/ New snake gun on the way, snake boot question #2  
I don't know much about snake boots. But another option for shooting them is to use your PM9 and just load the first round or two with rat shot. I used 9mm rat shot in my Sig 226 this summer to send 4 snakes to the afterlife.

/ New snake gun on the way, snake boot question
I thought about that, but after some research I decided to have a designated snake gun with a bit more reach.... I don't like to get up close and personal with snakes.

I've been in your neck of the woods a couple of times. There is a company there called Nucon Steel. I have attended 2 four day training seminars for the proprietary engineering and design software that they use. Pretty good outfit they have there.

/ New snake gun on the way, snake boot question #4  
Parallel, you sure that's not Nucor Steel, not Nucon? Anyways, if you want more reach for dispatching snakes, try a cheap single barrell 20 gauge shotgun, cut the barrell at the legal lenght of 18'' (I think) and keep it handy with birdshot. It''ll do the trick anytime, everytime.

I live in the country in an area that is copperhead haven, also some rattlers. I don't wear snake boots as they're too uncomfortable for me. I just stay alert and have always been great at spotting snakes: just look for contrast.

/ New snake gun on the way, snake boot question
Parallel, you sure that's not Nucor Steel, not Nucon? Anyways, if you want more reach for dispatching snakes, try a cheap single barrell 20 gauge shotgun, cut the barrell at the legal lenght of 18'' (I think) and keep it handy with birdshot. It''ll do the trick anytime, everytime.

I live in the country in an area that is copperhead haven, also some rattlers. I don't wear snake boots as they're too uncomfortable for me. I just stay alert and have always been great at spotting snakes: just look for contrast.

Nucor is the parent company for Nuconsteel.

NUCONSTEEL

/ New snake gun on the way, snake boot question #6  
I would never run "shot" through any of my rifled barrels, especially for a snake. keep a hoe in the yard when your out and save a few bucks, unless you just want a new gun. If I felt like I really needed a firearm to protect me from a snake then it would be as the other poster said and shot gun designed for "shot"

As far as snake boots, I also have very wide feet, I bought some also at Cabelas, Readhead brand. Great boot I think they were $130 or so, knee highs and they work. I used them to hunk Elk in Colorado as a support boot after breaking my ankle and they offered super support.

/ New snake gun on the way, snake boot question #7  
   / New snake gun on the way, snake boot question #8  
A cheaper alternative would be a pair of snake gaiters like these that cabela's sells. The oil exploration company my better half works for issues them to all field personal.

Cabela's Wind River&#8482 Snake Gaiters™

/ New snake gun on the way, snake boot question #9  
I would never run "shot" through any of my rifled barrels, especially for a snake.

Curious why not? I understand shooting on a full-time basis, but I wouldn't think an occasional rat shot for a snake would cause any appreciable throat or land wear. Am I missing something?

/ New snake gun on the way, snake boot question #10  
Shot can damage the rifling. In a pistol it may not matter as much, or in a cheaper gun your not to worried about. In a high end fire arm, or especially one I would "stake" my life on, no way.

I am not a gunsmith by any means, this was a topic brought up in an Officers Survival Course put on by the FBI at Texas DPS Austin during a break.

Also was a joke at A sniper School where the instructor was joking to a guy who missed center at 100 yards, he asked him if "he was running bird shot through his barrel" prior to the course.

When I was young though, shot was very common for small cal. weapons, (60's-70's), we would go to the creek and shoot turtles with them all the time, of course our guns weren't worth much.