Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    None... yet.

Default New snake gun on the way, snake boot question

I had a close encounter with a cottonmouth yesterday. I was tooling through my yard about 20 yards from the treeline and seen him coming my way quick. I stopped and backed off but he kept coming. I went left, he followed suit. So, I pulled out my PM9 from my pocket and took two shots at him. Of course I missed, but at least it made him go the other way. So this morning I bought a Taurus Public Defender (smaller judge) so that I might actually be able to hit the damned things. It should be here by the next time i need to do lawn work.

I also went by Cabelas to get some snake boots. The only ones that fit, I have wide feet (and a wide ***), cost nearly $170 and were insulated. Any leads for a decent pair of snake boots that are available in wide widths, won't break the bank and won't bake my feet in the Louisiana heat?

Tractor
    L3800 w/FEL and BH77, BX 2200 w/FEL and MMM

Default Re: New snake gun on the way, snake boot question

I don't know much about snake boots. But another option for shooting them is to use your PM9 and just load the first round or two with rat shot. I used 9mm rat shot in my Sig 226 this summer to send 4 snakes to the afterlife.
    I plan to screech to a sideways stop at heavens gate, jump out with a cigar in one hand, a scotch in the other, yelling "WOOHOO!! WHAT A RIDE!!!"

Tractor
    None... yet.

I thought about that, but after some research I decided to have a designated snake gun with a bit more reach.... I don't like to get up close and personal with snakes.

I've been in your neck of the woods a couple of times. There is a company there called Nucon Steel. I have attended 2 four day training seminars for the proprietary engineering and design software that they use. Pretty good outfit they have there.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    JD 5203

Parallel, you sure that's not Nucor Steel, not Nucon? Anyways, if you want more reach for dispatching snakes, try a cheap single barrell 20 gauge shotgun, cut the barrell at the legal lenght of 18'' (I think) and keep it handy with birdshot. It''ll do the trick anytime, everytime.

I live in the country in an area that is copperhead haven, also some rattlers. I don't wear snake boots as they're too uncomfortable for me. I just stay alert and have always been great at spotting snakes: just look for contrast.

Tractor
    None... yet.

Quote Originally Posted by herd View Post
    Parallel, you sure that's not Nucor Steel, not Nucon? Anyways, if you want more reach for dispatching snakes, try a cheap single barrell 20 gauge shotgun, cut the barrell at the legal lenght of 18'' (I think) and keep it handy with birdshot. It''ll do the trick anytime, everytime.

I live in the country in an area that is copperhead haven, also some rattlers. I don't wear snake boots as they're too uncomfortable for me. I just stay alert and have always been great at spotting snakes: just look for contrast.
    Nucor is the parent company for Nuconsteel.

NUCONSTEEL

Tractor
    Kioti DK 35 now

I would never run "shot" through any of my rifled barrels, especially for a snake. keep a hoe in the yard when your out and save a few bucks, unless you just want a new gun. If I felt like I really needed a firearm to protect me from a snake then it would be as the other poster said and shot gun designed for "shot"

As far as snake boots, I also have very wide feet, I bought some also at Cabelas, Readhead brand. Great boot I think they were $130 or so, knee highs and they work. I used them to hunk Elk in Colorado as a support boot after breaking my ankle and they offered super support.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    century 2535

check Discount Hunting Gear, Discount Hunting Boots, Discount Shoes, Discount Ammunition, Discount Ammo, Discount Boots, Military Surplus, Outdoor Gear At the Sportsman's Guide -- they advertise snake boots, prices seem reasonable, and you can search men's footwear by size. I've had good luck with their customer service folks in the past, so it the boots aren't "right" when they arrive, you shouldn't have too much problem dealing with them.
    Erik
    Mahindra 3510, box blade, pallet forks, 6' KK mower...

Tractor

A cheaper alternative would be a pair of snake gaiters like these that cabela's sells. The oil exploration company my better half works for issues them to all field personal.

Cabela's Wind River&#8482 Snake Gaiters™

Tractor
    L3800 w/FEL and BH77, BX 2200 w/FEL and MMM

Quote Originally Posted by Western View Post
    I would never run "shot" through any of my rifled barrels, especially for a snake.
    Curious why not? I understand shooting on a full-time basis, but I wouldn't think an occasional rat shot for a snake would cause any appreciable throat or land wear. Am I missing something?
    I plan to screech to a sideways stop at heavens gate, jump out with a cigar in one hand, a scotch in the other, yelling "WOOHOO!! WHAT A RIDE!!!"

Tractor
    Kioti DK 35 now

Shot can damage the rifling. In a pistol it may not matter as much, or in a cheaper gun your not to worried about. In a high end fire arm, or especially one I would "stake" my life on, no way.

I am not a gunsmith by any means, this was a topic brought up in an Officers Survival Course put on by the FBI at Texas DPS Austin during a break.

Also was a joke at A sniper School where the instructor was joking to a guy who missed center at 100 yards, he asked him if "he was running bird shot through his barrel" prior to the course.

When I was young though, shot was very common for small cal. weapons, (60's-70's), we would go to the creek and shoot turtles with them all the time, of course our guns weren't worth much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast