Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Default Re: Who rides a motorcycle?

Quote Originally Posted by sherpa View Post
    My family has been riding motorcyles for many years.
    We ride dual sport adventure bikes now.
    We have 3 yamaha XT225's and a Kawasaki KLR650.
    We have ridden dirt roads in Ut, Co, NM, AZ, TX, FL, VA, KS, SC, GA, AR, WV and NC.
    Its 10 miles dirt road to our home here in the NC mountains so a dual sport is a must!
    sherpa
    I see you live in Mortimer near Brown Mtn? Many memories of the Brown Mtn system, some great and few not so great, including one trip to the emergency room in Hickory when my then 16 year old broke his foot on an XR400, or so we thought, turned out to just be a bad sprain. Kept telling him to keep his toes up in rock gardens, had to learn the hard way

Tractor
    2005 MF GC2310 TLB

Back when I was in college, my first real ride was also a 66 Suzuki X-6. Amazingly fast for such a small machine. Continued riding while in the Army (another X-6 in CA), then picked up a 71 CL350 in Japan; brought it back home and STILL kick myself for selling it!

Didn't ride for quite a while, then my son showed up with a 76 XL250 he'd found for about $35.... Helped him get that up & running and then got bitten again.

Guess I never got out of the 70s as far as styling goes- have had & sold a few old Japanese bikes, but now have "only" four, all of which were given to me --though that does NOT mean they were free of cost...

Now I ride not every day, but pretty much every month out of the year if the roads are clear. Mostly the 75 CB360, just cause it's so simple- push button, start, go, and get 50+mpg. As long as the trip is less than 35 miles, one can avoid the dreaded Honda twin "numb-butt" syndrome!

For longer trips, I came into an 82 Yamaha Virago 750. Very smooth, plenty of power (I only weigh about 135) and quite comfortable. No spokes, no sprockets, no chain--love it!

Latest acquisisiton is a 71 CB100 which had been in a barn for years & years. Still a "work in progress."

Yes, riding is/can be dangerous, but manageable if you stay constantly alert for dummies, and always assume that that guy who's looking right at you WILL pull out right in front of you!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -getting-cleaner-8-18-08-a   -cb360t-8-08-jpg   -xl250-8-08-jpg   -18-aug-08-r-jpg  
    '07 GC2310 TLB, 2360 snowblower, 2325 MMM, Bro-Tek thumb, Woods GTC40-2 tiller, Woods RB-60 back blade, KK TYR-60 landscape rake, DR 60" Power Grader
    '05 VW Jetta Wgn TDI
    Numerous antique Japanese motorcycles

Used to have a Ninja back in college.
    -- D. Robinson
    Contractor,
    Air Handlers Division

Tractor
    still shopping

That fairing is worth more than a couple of bucks. They stopped making them years ago, even though they just stopped making the bike in 2006, or thereabouts. There are still a bunch of 750's out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
    Nice 750 Vulcans. I had a 700 Vulcan for a year or two. I thought it was a great bike. The suspension and mid range power were much better than I had anticipated. They are very capable motorcycles. Mine had a frame mounted fairing on it when I bought it. I removed it and had to find a headlight for the bike. I installed a large 7 inch light from a 750 Honda. I had to cut down the back of the housing a little to clear the instrument cluster. The final result was great. I still have the fairing somewhere in one of my barns.
    Random accidents ahead, life's a lottery, Good luck.
    A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song.
    If someone throws you under the bus-remember to tuck and roll.

Tractor
    John Deere 2520, John Deere X534, Gator HPX 4x4, LT 150, 14SB

Haven't owned a bike since the early '80s. Thought about buying a Dual Sport when gas was over $3 bucks a gallon.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    7610 hst

Have 2 and a half Harleys...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -013-jpg   -015-jpg  

Super Star Member
    First organized permanent settlement in the northwest territory
    Tractor
    2003 Kubota BX1500/2004 Kubota Bx23/2005 Kubota BX1500

Quote Originally Posted by JDGREEN4ME View Post
    Haven't owned a bike since the early '80s. Thought about buying a Dual Sport when gas was over $3 bucks a gallon.
    What made you give em up?
    Tractors 2003 Kubota BX1500 / 2004 Kubota Bx23 / 2005 Kubota BX1500.
    Attachments 60'' Front Blade/48'' Rear Tiller/FEL/Back Hoe /
    60'' MMM/Clamp on Forks/48'' MMM
    South of Canton Ohio L .B

Gold Member
    Tractor
    JD 3320 & JD X300

Quote Originally Posted by JDGREEN4ME View Post
    You might get your wish, our here in Oregon, Super is just about $3/gal, I paid $2.92 yesterday, regular was $2.75/gal.

The commuting factor is one of my thoughts, but it isn't just gas, all the wear and tear on a car is much higher than on a bike (at least I told my wife that)

D.

Tractor
    Kubota L-39 GST TLB, Kubota L3130GST, Massey 1030 HST, Kubota ZD-21 ProDecK, Two Euro VW TDIs

Here one of my older Adventure Bikes, a 1998 KTM 620:

Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow......GO Diesel GO!

Tractor
    Montana 4344HST

I have a 94 ZX11 and a 94 Fatboy, from my brother

I've done the Rose City 500 3 times, successfully completing it only two.
    Rose City Oregon 500
    Hard part for me was the extra drive up and back for the ride

Also join California Motorcycle Roads - Pashnit Motorcycle Tours Maps, Passionate Scenic Rides Photos

Another Eugene Pashnit member and I are planning a group ride to John day this Memorial day.
    Sackett aka "Steve"
    TSgt, USAF Ret. 1981-2001
    2008 Montana 4344HST
    4' Brush Hog; 6' rear blade; 6' box blade

"Thanks for the tractor Rick"
    In memory of my brother
    Richard A. Hansen 1961-2008
    SSgt, USAF Ret. 1980-2000

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast