Breaking in work boots

/ Breaking in work boots #31  
As for break-in? I put them on and wear them. If they are uncomfortable at the store, then I don't buy them. I do have wide feet, but not an "E".

Someone mentioned Redwings..... NEVER again! Overpriced pair of uncomfortable boots with soles that wear faster than a pair of Yugo tires on a top fuel dragster. I gave them two chances and now sit back and wonder why I didn't throw the over 200 bucks a pair in the garbage simply for entertainment.

They were heavy, clunky, never got comfortable, and both pairs dry rotted big time. The answer I got from the dealer was "You shouldn't get mud on them, it dries the leather." Whaaaa? They're BOOTS!

My answer? A 45.00 pair of Hermann Survivors from WalMart. They're light, they're comfortable, and the pair (grubby I'll say) I'm wearing now is one year and a month old. The soles are a bit worse for wear, but they will outlast the uppers at the rate they are going.

More expensive or American made is not always the answer when looking for quality. I'm going put my flame retardant undies on now.

/ Breaking in work boots #32  
The only local place I have found that can order me size 18 E boots is a redwing store...Does anyone have other suggestions where to find good quality boots online?

I can usually make a pair of Redwings last 2 years but then they are shot. Soles wear out and the leather dries out from being in mud, concrete, and every other substance on the farm :laughing:

/ Breaking in work boots #33  
We have to wear steel toed boots at work. Needing wide widths limits my choices even more. Breaking in new boots is like torture for me. Younger guy at work who grew up on a farm suggested filling them with soybeans, adding water and let them sit and swell for a few days. I had never heard of this and another co-worker suggested he was pulling our leg. He held his ground.
It did make me think about putting a plastic bag in them and filling with water. Let them freeze overnight. A variation of his idea. Any other tricks out there?

Do they have to be STEEL or can you use the carbon shell cap ones ?
They are claimed to be stronger and don't conduct heat the way that steel does.
Not sure I believe the urban legend about toes getting sheared off inside steel toe cap boots, any accident that would do that would probably take 'em off regardless )-:

/ Breaking in work boots #34  
Not sure I believe the urban legend about toes getting sheared off inside steel toe cap boots, any accident that would do that would probably take 'em off regardless )-:

Just last week I dropped the edge of a cast iron bath tub on my foot -- just behind where the steel toe of the Redwings ends. Well, I didn't do it by myself, I had help.

Anyway it hurt a lot and I was sure that I had broken a few bones. Stopped hurting in 8-10 hours and never swelled up like a broken bone. 2 days later I was fine. Must have been good luck.

/ Breaking in work boots #35  
Ten months for my Redwing boots. I wear them every day and I'm still impressed with them. The leather looks great and the soles have barely started to wear. They have been comfortable since day one and compared to what I was wearing from Walmart, it's like night and day.

I don't spend very much time in the mud with them, and the few times that I have, I treated the leather with mink oil.

When these wear out, I'll buy another pair without hesitation.

Eddie

/ Breaking in work boots #37  
Earlier in the year I was wearing one pair of boots for about 12 hours. Not much walking, a couple of miles give or take according to my cell phone pedometer. Those boots tore me up. I have used them for years but never for such a long time. There is one hot spot on one boot that really did me in.

I searched through TBN for some old boot breaking in discussions. Someone mentioned using alcohol to soften the hot spot and to then work to remove the hot spot. So I soaked the spot with a alcohol and used the back end of the handle of a knife to move out the spot.

It seems to have worked. :thumbsup:

Those same boots have gotten soaking wet. I guess I did not wear them to sufficient dryness because the boots still had hot spots. :eek::)

I almost bought a pair of White boots since they are custom or almost custom made. But a little bit of alcohol and the round end of butter knife seems to have worked. Surely was cheaper. :D

Later,
Dan

/ Breaking in work boots #38  
Red Wing Minnesota is home to these very fine boots.They did out source to china for awhile but I believe they are once again made here.I,ve worn r-w for many years and never had a problem so perhaps anyone that did have a problem got the china version?:mad:Dave

/ Breaking in work boots #39  
Jimmy Dean sang a song about you, "Big John"!:D....Wow! 18?!

That's what most people call me. Sometimes it can be a problem getting in tight spots or on "small tractors" :laughing:

/ Breaking in work boots #40  
That's what most people call me. Sometimes it can be a problem getting in tight spots or on "small tractors" :laughing:

now is that a US size 18 or a UK size 18???

J