Parts not made by GM as long as made in old days..

/ Parts not made by GM as long as made in old days.. #1  

coffeeman

Platinum Member
I have a 94 Cadillac. The ABS light is on and the computer indicates I need a sensor for the back left wheel. GM says it's out of production. The local parts guy says none made aftermarket. I think that's got to be wrong. I haven't had a chance to check NAPA parts.

Also need air bag sensor for 2002 and GM is indicating that's not produced anymore.

I'm guessing GM wants to get the gas users off road and sell new cars by not making replacement parts.

Cheers....Coffeeman

/ Parts not made by GM as long as made in old days.. #2  
That's what keeps salvage yards in business. That's where I'd go. If you're lucky, it won't cost you more than a new one ever did.:rolleyes:

/ Parts not made by GM as long as made in old days.. #3  
Starting to see a lot of that... electrical and emmision equipment.

Manufacturers are supposed to keep parts available in quantities to last 10 years... many of us are on borrowed time...

It's easier to buy salvage parts with the Internet. A neighbor was told the emmision part for her car was no longer available... I located a used one for her on the net and she could not have been happier...

Planned Obsolescence with anything electronic... sadly is the norm.

/ Parts not made by GM as long as made in old days.. #4  
I know what you mean I have a 94 Olds Cutlass supreme convertible and GM didnt make any of the top parts like the cylinder rod ends. Broke one of the cast aluminum ones and didnt have one in 03. The GM dealers said they didnt make that and couldnt give to company in Germany that made the lids. My brother founds some in the junk yard and they were in my junk drawer waiting and sometime getting married and hiring a temporary house keeper they came up gone. I guess Ill have to make a set. I think I can find an aftermarket for them sometime.

/ Parts not made by GM as long as made in old days.. #5  
I took an older Ford into the dealership for a tune up and they refused the business because it was older than 10 years old and they said they couldn't get the parts. After I had a face to face with the General Manger and explained to him that does he expect me to believe he can't gets plugs and other tune up items for my vehicle - REALLY?

/ Parts not made by GM as long as made in old days.. #6  
I took an older Ford into the dealership for a tune up and they refused the business because it was older than 10 years old and they said they couldn't get the parts. After I had a face to face with the General Manger and explained to him that does he expect me to believe he can't gets plugs and other tune up items for my vehicle - REALLY?

I'm sure they would have been happy to sell you a new Ford:D

/ Parts not made by GM as long as made in old days.. #7  
We're still driving the same Ford after the salesman tried to sell my wife a new one when hers went in only needing new spark plug cables. The owner of the dealership is a decent man. The salesman won't ever sell me a car.

/ Parts not made by GM as long as made in old days..
We're still driving the same Ford after the salesman tried to sell my wife a new one when hers went in only needing new spark plug cables. The owner of the dealership is a decent man. The salesman won't ever sell me a car.
Another thing that gets me is jerks that think the customer is always stupid. However in our neck of
woods a large % of new car dealers are being cut. It might not be long that the only way to get a new car is if you "know somebody".

Cheers

/ Parts not made by GM as long as made in old days.. #9  
My wife has an 02 Ranger, she wanted the brakes done and her mother told her not to let me do it. well they told her the broakes were shot new rototrs and all needed and that the axle was leaking. She called me upset, explaining that they would have to charge her 1500 for repairs. I called BS and made them drop the truck off the lift and we picked it up. Carried it to a friends shop and he turned the rotors and did the pads and changed a 25 buck break cylinder for 125.00. The Ford dealer also didnt want to sell us the stuff for a tune up either. said it had to be dealer installed. I have several older trucks I use on the place and parts are getting harder to find for the middle ages trucks.

/ Parts not made by GM as long as made in old days.. #10  
You didn't mention which Caddy you have but a lot of the wheel speed
sensors are made into the hub assembly these days. The only way
to change the sensor is to change the hub.