Not Tied Down Anymore

/ Not Tied Down Anymore #1  

MikePA

Super Moderator
Tractor
Had TC25D, now JD X310
Well, I just implemented wireless (11 Mbps - 128 bit encryption) here at home. Sitting here with my laptop, no network cable, no power cord. I'm heading out to feed the horses, about 600 feet away. I wonder if it I will be able to maintain a connection! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif If I have to transfer files between PCs I will still use my hard wired network (100 Mbps), but for anything involving my DSL connection (520 bps up/131 bps down) an 11 Mbps LAN connection is plenty fast. It even worked just fine on a VPN connection to work.

On the walk out, it dropped the connection, but now that I am here, I have between a 1 Mbps and a 2 Mbps connection. Not bad. Not that I'd sit out here and surf the net, too many chances I'd drop the laptop, or one of the barn swallows would dive bomb me, (not to mention my wife's reaction!) but pretty neat. Might have to get a booster antenna. Ah, the life of the easily entertained. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

The only thing I don't like about the PCMCIA card is the little antenna that sticks out from the body of the laptop. If I sit the laptop down wrong, or on a soft surface, it could break off.

/ Not Tied Down Anymore #2  
Laptop.... bah!

Go buy a handheld, hmmmmmmmm I have one for you...
an HP iPaq 3800 series. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Now that is sweet, and you can still play PocketQuake on it!
Course you will probably need some farm management software right? /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

-Mike Z.

/ Not Tied Down Anymore
I have an iPAQ at work. Hmmm, thanks for the idea. Of course, this means buying a wireless CF card. Wonder if I can swing that as an R & D expense? /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif

/ Not Tied Down Anymore #4  
I would save the R & D expense for your GPS plug-in that you will buy for the iPAQ.

That way you'll know *exactly* where you are when your mowing, and you can really impress people with it! /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

-Mike Z.

/ Not Tied Down Anymore #5  
Hey Mike, you're well on your way to be the first TBNer to post streaming video of FEL chores. Come on, get that web-cam up and running for all of us to enjoy /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Not Tied Down Anymore #6  
of course, you realize that the first thing tha I thought when I saw the title was "oh no, not the Big-D-and-I-don't-mean-Dallas"

/ Not Tied Down Anymore #7  
The first thing that popped into my mind was an image of something I thought I had on my trailer all of a sudden passing me. /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

/ Not Tied Down Anymore
Wingnut and Gary - Hmmm, Divorce and some type of trailer accident. This was kind of a Subject Line <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rorschach.org>Rorschach</A> test, eh? /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Not Tied Down Anymore #9  
Uhmm ... would you believe that 2 days ago, as we were coming into the city to visit the mother-in-law ... I suddenly noticed a wheel rolling across the road in front of me. After it bounced off the car in front of me (way in front, I hit the binders!), I looked to see where it was coming from ... and there was a car on the other side missing it's front wheel ... /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ Not Tied Down Anymore #10  
Its real scary isn't it? I had a similar incident about 10 years ago but it was a tire from a semi. It was still quite a ways off, but my brain finally registered that the tire was as tall as my car and that the angles weren't looking good. I locked 'em up and it went wizzing across two lanes of traffic in front of me.