Feedback on new Dell Laptop with Ubuntu Linux

/ Feedback on new Dell Laptop with Ubuntu Linux
I'm no expert by any means, but access databases could probably be migrated to MySQL. Access is primarily intended to be a database "front end" or GUI and of course they had to throw in a crappy database so the users have something to work with. MySQL seems to be a pretty robust database, but I'm not sure what the opensource equivalent to Access is (that helps you with forms, reports, queries and the like).

Edit: This came up on a google search: http://www.osalt.com/access

I suspect that quickbooks may run under WINE (XP emulation environment) which is an Ubuntu application. Supposed to be an abbreviation for "Wine is not another Emulator"

A question for those of you with knowledge greater than mine and familiarity with Ubuntu.....how do you run Access-based databases? A good bit of my work is spreadsheet or document based, and OpenOffice will work fine, but it does not play well (or at all, actually) with Access, and significant part of what I do is with Access-based databases. I would love to abandon windows and MS Office, but for my need for the databases. Thanks for any help.

Additionally....I do some minor audio file editing for church (currently using wavepad), and very minor graphics editing (MS photo editor has been adequate for this), as well as ripping a lot of tracks from CDs we record, and then burning CDs from accumulated files (media player does this to our needs). Can I get all this done with software available in or on Ubuntu?

Will my Quickbooks run on Ubuntu?

/ Feedback on new Dell Laptop with Ubuntu Linux #12  
Thank you.

/ Feedback on new Dell Laptop with Ubuntu Linux #13  
I haven't done any graphics editing in Ubuntu, but I use Audacity for editing church sermons every week. Audacity will allow you to edit and save audio files in several different formats. Stable and easy to use. It runs in Ubuntu fine.

I use a variation of Ubuntu called ArtistX ArtistX - eXtra ordinary art tools . You might want to take a look at the graphics programs that come with the ArtistX distribution. I bought the ArtistX package on DVD from On-Disk.com so I wouldn't have to spend a lot of time downloading software packages. I think it was only something like $6.00. For disk burning, it comes with a program called KDE that works fine. We rip tracks and put them in the order we need them on a single CD all the time.

I don't know if quickbooks will work in Ubuntu using wine. You could try it and see. You can download the Artist X distribution for free, but to me it made more sense just to buy the DVD because it's so cheap and fast to install.

/ Feedback on new Dell Laptop with Ubuntu Linux #14  
A question for those of you with knowledge greater than mine and familiarity with Ubuntu.....how do you run Access-based databases? A good bit of my work is spreadsheet or document based, and OpenOffice will work fine, but it does not play well (or at all, actually) with Access, and significant part of what I do is with Access-based databases. I would love to abandon windows and MS Office, but for my need for the databases. Thanks for any help.

Additionally....I do some minor audio file editing for church (currently using wavepad), and very minor graphics editing (MS photo editor has been adequate for this), as well as ripping a lot of tracks from CDs we record, and then burning CDs from accumulated files (media player does this to our needs). Can I get all this done with software available in or on Ubuntu?

Will my Quickbooks run on Ubuntu?

It seems that many people are locked in to Windows because of one or two apps :(

As for Access, I believe that the MySQL Migration Toolkit will do what you want. You can do all the audio and graphics stuff using free open source apps on linux. I don't know about Quickbooks.

/ Feedback on new Dell Laptop with Ubuntu Linux #15  
You have to be careful with Access migrations. You may have code calls that only Windows can understand in some of your queries or forms. Then you have to figure out what your actually moving to another database platform. Is it just data? Or is it the forms and data?

Think of it this way, you can move the data... but how do you get to it?

/ Feedback on new Dell Laptop with Ubuntu Linux #16  
...but access databases could probably be migrated to MySQL...

All you have to do is export your Access Databases or Excel spread sheets and "import" them directly into MYSQL...

If anyone needs help getting MYSQL up and running as well as an easy to use front end just post a request or PM me...

As for running Access on Windows you may be able to install it under 'WINE'

/ Feedback on new Dell Laptop with Ubuntu Linux #17  
I would encourage anyone thinking about maybe trying Ubuntu to go ahead and take the plunge. You can pop it in your DVD drive and run it off the drive without even installing it just to give it a try without messing up your system. If you decide to install it, the installation is quick and simple and does not take long at all. It's really ideal on an older PC that doesn't have an OS on it for whatever reason.

The downside to it is that getting printers to work is it's not automatic like XP. Some commands have to be entered in the system, and you need to check the particular Ubuntu distribution you're using to figure out if your printer will work with that particular distribution.

The reason I suggested ArtistX for LMTC is that ArtistX is that it is arts and graphics oriented. I use it for audio, but the package includes arts and graphics software plus a lot of other software.

/ Feedback on new Dell Laptop with Ubuntu Linux #18  
You have to be careful with Access migrations. You may have code calls that only Windows can understand in some of your queries or forms. Then you have to figure out what your actually moving to another database platform. Is it just data? Or is it the forms and data?

It is definitely more than just the data....I have lots of reports and forms in my primary databases, and it is these forms that make the db worthwhile. Pastor has all his ministry teams, etc. in communication groups so that a single letter goes to all soundroom workers, etc. Also offerings, annual reports, lots of things that I've built over the years that simplify many otherwise cumbersome tasks, so long as we keep the data current. Same for my business.....lots of output from the primary db, and I'd really struggle without it. I learned Access, and I'm not sure my skills are adequate to make the jump to another database format. Otherwise, I'd love to walk out on windows and office, as I know they are hogs, as well as having other weak points.

/ Feedback on new Dell Laptop with Ubuntu Linux #19  

do some searching on "exporting Accesss to SQL"...you can export data and structure to SQL (Structured Query Language)...it (SQL) will import to just about any relational DB platform...

To access the data simply run query...there are som very user friendly GUIs for MYSQL etc...

/ Feedback on new Dell Laptop with Ubuntu Linux #20  
do some searching on "exporting Accesss to SQL"...you can export data and structure to SQL (Structured Query Language)...it (SQL) will import to just about any relational DB platform...

To access the data simply run query...there are som very user friendly GUIs for MYSQL etc...

Yes, moving data is the easy part. But you make it sound like all you have to do is that.
If his forms have code calls for Windows specific functions like DAO for recordsets, or his reports have queries running certain expressions, he is broke.

Is he going to run his old Access forms to get at his new SQL data? Or is he going to dive into the world of HTML?

I'd google "upsizing a MS Access database", lots of info on the MicroSquash support site on this too.

It can be done, but you need a good sense of what will not "upsize" and what your end-goal is.