Cell phones while driving..!

/ Cell phones while driving..! #1  

D7E

Veteran Member
Tractor
Versatile 895 Versatile 876 Ford TW20 Ford TW5 MF 3505 FWA MF 390 FWA Ford 7600 Fiat 766 FWA JD 2030 MF 165 MF 35 Fordson major x 3 CAT 416 b Backhoe Case 580 b backhoe MF
It's no wonder they're banning cell phones while driving...I just got off the phone from my brother in law (to be) Who's off to hospital..While sat at an intersection in the middle of the city a car rear ended him and parked underneath his rear end of the suv,All air bags deployed and the car that hit him is a write off..The car driver was on the phone..?
I wonder that the comp is like for a oversize load trucker off work with bruised ribs and whiplash ..?Pity he did'nt have the semi at the time..

/ Cell phones while driving..! #2  
I am sorry to hear about your brother in law. I hope he is feeling better soon.

I wasn't in my car when it was hit. It was parked in front of my house. Some real estate lady dialed her phone as she pulled away from my neighbor's house and sideswiped a big gouge the length of her car. My car was luckier and just needed a bumper. The phone lady said she never saw my car parked in front of her until the scraping sound brought her attention back to her driving.

California outlawed hands-on phone use while driving but it is widely ignored. Maybe they need to raise the fines. And I have seen texters drift across a couple of freeway lanes, in traffic, before they notice. Idiots!

/ Cell phones while driving..! #3  
... Are great for those that know how to drive. The rest need to hang up.

/ Cell phones while driving..! #4  
... Are great for those that know how to drive. The rest need to hang up.

Everybody is dead certain they know how to drive :D
I think cell phones and texting while driving is a menace. I have noted people on cell phones doing too much erratic driving to be anywhere near safe.
Dave.

/ Cell phones while driving..! #5  
Everybody is dead certain they know how to drive

There's the problem. There are actually very few "good" drivers on the road; i.e., those who have had some training, study, experience, etc. beyond the minimum to get a license. And the minimum to get a license is to barely be able to herd a vehicle down the road. But they all think they are good drivers. Hardly a day goes by that I don't see some idiot talking on a cell phone and driving in a manner that would have made me suspect he/she was drunk years ago.

/ Cell phones while driving..! #6  
There's the problem. There are actually very few "good" drivers on the road; i.e., those who have had some training, study, experience, etc. beyond the minimum to get a license. And the minimum to get a license is to barely be able to herd a vehicle down the road. But they all think they are good drivers. Hardly a day goes by that I don't see some idiot talking on a cell phone and driving in a manner that would have made me suspect he/she was drunk years ago.

Exactly, Bird.

/ Cell phones while driving..! #7  

Dead on. I average well over 200 miles a day for my job. When I see someone on their cell phone, and they are all over the road, I get next to them and lay on the horn until they look at me. Then I give the hang up sign. If they don't, I lay on the horn again. I guarantee the person on the other end can hear it and wonders what is going on.

/ Cell phones while driving..! #8  
Dead on. I average well over 200 miles a day for my job. When I see someone on their cell phone, and they are all over the road, I get next to them and lay on the horn until they look at me. Then I give the hang up sign. If they don't, I lay on the horn again. I guarantee the person on the other end can hear it and wonders what is going on.

I can certainly understand the temptation to do that, but I can't say I'd recommend it.:D With the number of road rage incidents now-a-days, you might get shot.

/ Cell phones while driving..! #9  
I would much rather deal with someone driving down the road using a cell phone than someone driving in a busy parking lot using a cell phone. My daughter started driving about three months ago and I told her the local walmart parking lot is the most dangerous place to drive.

mark

/ Cell phones while driving..! #10  
I consider myself a decent driver, never had an accident in 30 years of driving.
We have a law here no cell use while driving with out a hands free device. everyone was careful the first few months but now it's back to the way it was with everyone with a phone against their head.

I do it myself often, I try and use the headset but of course that's an "inconvenience" sometimes. try to use speaker phone when ever possible also.For sure I will not hold a phone to my head going thru or stopped at a busy intersection, Not only dangerous but embarrassing to be so foolish. I'll either just put it down for a second or switch to speakerphone.

Like I said I'm a decent driver but I can tell for sure that the phone distracts me enough that I recognize the danger.

It's a touchy subject, not sure where I come down on it being illegal or not, since I want to do it, I can't really say I don't want someone else to.

Texting (funny, spell check doesn't recognize "texting") is off the charts dangerous, I see these people everyday stopped at green lights with there heads down, just waiting to get plowed into. I don't drive on the highway everyday but the guy that works with me does and tells me about the people weaving all over the road, he said you just have to give them a wide berth. He gave up on blowing the horn at them!

PS. A woman got killed right down the street from my house about 10 years ago, I heard the bang and looked out and saw the accident and went back to my dinner, it sounded and looked so minor. she slow speed rear ended a dumpster carrying truck, the bottom edge of the dumpster just creased the windshield at head height. I went out there after I saw the whole town down there and was shocked someone was killed. They said she was on the phone and didn't notice the truck was stopping!