Cordless Impact Driver

/ Cordless Impact Driver #1  

bigtiller

Tractor
JD 2720 & 3039R
What size (volts) do you like best? I have never used one but I want to try them because I use my 18 volt drill all over the shop and house but mostly for driving screws in wood. I am told they are easier on the wrist than a drill. But there are just too many choices and prices out there for me to choose from blindly and thought someone might offer some tips on what to look for or avoid.

/ Cordless Impact Driver #2  
I can tell you from experience that the 18V Ryobi is not worth buying. It worked for the first 20-30 1/4" x 6" lag bolts I was driving, but something in the plastic gearing must be going, because it doesn't do as good of a job now.

/ Cordless Impact Driver #3  
I have the De Walt 18v driver. I got it because I already had a plethora of other De Walt 18v tools, so I got the impact kit on sale with a a drill and two extra batteries.

It is amazing what these things will drive!

/ Cordless Impact Driver #4  
I'm with Kenny. I got mine free via mail-in after my wife bought me the 4 tool kit. I use it more than I do the tools she bought me. I love it. As much as a Cordless Drill improved driving a screw from a screw driver, the impact driver improved it that much more. I love mine. It is the only thing I use now to drive screws.

I say whatever one you already have batteries and chargers for (if you are happy with the performance of those and aren't looking to switch brands).

On a side note. I used this on our camper to lower the stabilizing jacks. It did a great job, but the impact sound resonated off the frame so much:eek:, that I decided I had better switch to the normal cordless drill.:p

/ Cordless Impact Driver #5  
I also have the 18V Dewalt. It works great for the few times I have used it. I think the trigger works backward. If you already have batteries and chargers I would by one off E-bay and get the impact only. I found a deal on the impact and case only.

Dan

/ Cordless Impact Driver #6  
i've got a 18v ridgid an think its great: i couldn't believe how much faster i could put screws in a new metal roof.
heehaw

/ Cordless Impact Driver #7  
I bought a 12 volt bosch impact driver on sale for 69 bucks, it came with twp batteries a 1/2 hr charger and a hard case. It is great for driving screws! Way better than a non-impact drill. The bit dosen't slip on the screw head nearly as easilly, and it's much lighter weight.

/ Cordless Impact Driver #8  
We use a lot of the 18V DeWalts impacts at work. I have to say I think they are the best cordless impacts made. I have allways been a Milwaukee fan but DeWalt makes the best impacts by far.

/ Cordless Impact Driver #9  
I've had the Makita 18V Lithium Ion set for a year now and I wish I had the impact driver years ago. It is a much much easier tool to drive screws with than the drill driver. I found the Lithium batteries so much lighter and the tools seems to be better balanced than the Dewalt's we have at work. Don't get me wrong I still like the Dewalt stuff.

Steve

/ Cordless Impact Driver #10  
For me 18v power is the way to go, and DeWalt is my brand of choice, it's never let me down. As another poster said, if you already have a brand that you like, find an impact that will work with your existing batteries.