We Need Bruce Willis

/ We Need Bruce Willis #1  

skent

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B7300
Just saw on the CNN site:

LONDON (AP) -- Astronomers are carefully monitoring a newly discovered 1.2-mile-wide (2 km) asteroid to see whether it is on a collision course with Earth.

Initial calculations indicate there is a chance the asteroid — known as 2002 NT7 — will hit the Earth on February 1, 2019. But scientists said Wednesday that the calculations are preliminary and the risk to the planet is low.

"The threat is very minimal," Donald Yeomans, of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California, told British Broadcasting Corp. radio. "An object of this size would be expected to hit the Earth every few million years, and as we get additional data I think this threat will go away."

The object was detected on July 9 by the Lincoln Near Earth Asteroid Research Project in New Mexico. It orbits the sun every 837 days, and NASA scientists predict its path could intersect with the Earth's orbit. But they say more observations over the coming months will help them plot its course more accurately.

NASA's Near Earth Object program gives the asteroid a rating of "0" on the Torino impact hazard scale — within a range of "events meriting careful monitoring," but not concern.

However, the discovery has provided more ammunition for those who say humans should take the risk posed by space objects more seriously.

"There's a good chance this particular object won't hit us, but we know that a large object will hit us sooner or later," said British lawmaker Lembit Opik, who has long warned of the danger posed by asteroids.

NASA estimates that asteroids big enough to cause catastrophic destruction could theoretically hit Earth every million years, or at longer intervals.

Last month an asteroid the size of a soccer field missed the Earth by 75,000 miles — less than one-third of the distance to the moon in one of the closest known approaches by objects of its size. Scientists said if it had hit a populated area, it would have released as much energy as a large nuclear weapon.

/ We Need Bruce Willis #2  
<font color=blue>Last month an asteroid the size of a soccer field missed the Earth by 75,000 miles </font color=blue>
If it is the same one I read about, the scary part is that they did not see it until it had already passed by the earth. In other words, if it had been on a collision course, it would have hit before any warning. /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif
It's still pretty amazing though that they can find, track, and predict the course of such (relatively) small debris scattered in space./w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif

/ We Need Bruce Willis
This is a different one. Over a mile across. If it hits, will be on Feb 01 2019.

/ We Need Bruce Willis #4  
That's a big rock and we only have 17 years to figure out what to do. I'm guessing that we need to figure out how to blow it into little pieces.

/ We Need Bruce Willis #5  
I recently heard a comment on the radio that the crash of TWA flight 800 could have been a result of a small meteorite strike. Urban legend? It would explain all eyewitness accounts.

In another light, I wonder how our agreement not to explode nuclear devices in space would hinder any attempts. Another example of unintended consequences? Just like shutting down nuclear fuel reprocessing plants is hurting the environment through increased use of fossil fuel.

Y'know, those larger near misses could be interpreted as a shot across the bow.

/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ We Need Bruce Willis #6  
<font color=blue>I recently heard a comment on the radio that the crash of TWA flight 800 could have been a result of a small meteorite strike. Urban legend? It would explain all eyewitness accounts.</font color=blue>

'fraid not. The track the witnesses all were told by the government they didn't see was from below going up.

/ We Need Bruce Willis #7  
Skent, I'm a little confused. Is Bruce Willis going to destroy these asteroids, or is he sending them? /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif The asteroid danger is very real, and there isn't much we are going to do about it. The odds are that sometime in the next zillion years that we will get hit by a sizeable asteroid. We may or may not be around at that time, but I don't think we are going to have a lot of notice. Maybe tracking of such things can be improved sometime soon.
Now to the real point of the Bruce Willis thing. President Bush made Bruce Willis a spokeman of Foster Children. The man is a great actor, but he's known for being very shortfused. He may do a great job, but I think Rosie O'Donnell is a bit more realistic. /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif. I couldn't help myself. What we need is more then these people can give. I have a great friend, who takes foster kids in on a short term. He, and his wife deal with these kids problems, like they were these kids real parents. Many times these kids are passed around, and are so confused that the "system" doesn't even want them. Foster parenting is not an easy job. Sorry to ruin the Asteroid talk. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ We Need Bruce Willis #8  
"but I think Rosie O'Donnell is a bit more realistic

<font color=red>Rosie O'Donnell!!!!!??????</font color=red>

I believe the Bruce Willis title refers to "Armageddon", the movie about Willis and crew destroying a huge asteroid. Good flick, but I preferred "Deep Impact".

The asteroid, described as being ~1.2 miles across, is the size that could cause catastropic changes to the Earth. It isn't big enough to destroy the planet, but is big enough to cause a "winter" resulting from debris cast into the atmosphere from it's striking the planet. This could block the sunlight..absorb or reflect it outward, actually. The resultant "winter" could last decades. Pretty spooky!

If you recall a few months back, there was another announcement about an asteroid striking us in 2030 or thereabouts. That made headlines before it was determined the asteroid would not strike the Earth. After that hullaballoo, I'm sure the scientists are being more conservative...news media too (surprisingly!).

When I read about the asteroid, I sat there imagining what GW Bush's morning thoughts were like...little scenerio of his thoughts: <font color=blue>"Gads...we have thousands killed in a terrorist attack...the stock market is dying on my watch...what else could go wrong???" Then, GW turns on CNN...</font color=blue>

Now, back to Rosie O'Donnell...she is evil, pure and simple, shrill, mouthy and obnoxious. A poor poor example for foster kids, IMHO.

Willis is a good guy...all I've read about him (which isn't much...I'm not a celebrity watcher at all) says he's a pretty regular guy, not caught up in "movie staritis" at all.

/ We Need Bruce Willis
Steelfan,

Opened with We need Bruce Willis because in the movie "Armageddon", Willis plays a oil driller, the best there is, who is sent to an asteroid that is on a colision course with earth. His mission is to drill hundreds of feet down to place charges to blow the rock in two.

A good flick.

/ We Need Bruce Willis #10  
Yep, I saw the movie. The rest was just a joke, all but the Willis spokesman thing. I've always heard he can be a bit hard to get along with, but you know how rumors go. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif I sorry if I offended anyone.