I built my daughter a toy box for christmas (pics)

/ I built my daughter a toy box for christmas (pics) #11  
Very nice. Simple, sturdy and attractive. I'm a little worried about the hinges. though. You do have slow-close rods on the inside, I hope.
Cliff

/ I built my daughter a toy box for christmas (pics)
Very nice. Simple, sturdy and attractive. I'm a little worried about the hinges. though. You do have slow-close rods on the inside, I hope.
Cliff

No I didn't put struts inside, but after I got done with the project I thought about that. I don't want the lid smashing her fingers, so I am planning on adding some thing like that to it for saftey.

/ I built my daughter a toy box for christmas (pics) #13  
Glad to hear you're adding one.

Her fingers, yes. But it's her head that's the big worry. It is astounding how many kids die each year when the toy box lid falls on their head. It's not obvious how this works, but if you google it a bit, you'll find that before slow-closers were mandated on toy boxes, lots of kids died this way. Still happens once in a while. Better safe . . .

Cliff

Wow, thanks for the heads up (pun)
Seriously though I didn't think about that and I'm glad you mentioned it, I will definatelly be moving that up on my to do list. She's not really old enough to use it herself yet, but I've made it clear that the lid is to remain shut until I get a strut installed.

/ I built my daughter a toy box for christmas (pics) #15  
Nice job, it's very satisfying to build things for your kids, in my case grand kids. Here's the one I built last Christmas for one of my grand daughters (three now). I'm scared to death of putting a cover over something a child can lift or get under.

Steve

Attachments

• Toybox 002 (Medium).jpg
    Toybox 002 (Medium).jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 93
Nice job, it's very satisfying to build things for your kids, in my case grand kids. Here's the one I built last Christmas for one of my grand daughters (three now). I'm scared to death of putting a cover over something a child can lift or get under.

Steve

Nice work!
How did you get the top trim peices to follow those contours? Steam?

/ I built my daughter a toy box for christmas (pics) #17  
They were made from cherry and I cut them out on the band saw and used the router to round the edges then hollowed them out about a 1/4" to set down over the plywood and glued them altogether in pieces. they were about 1" square to begin with. It was a lot of sanding but worth it in the end when finished. Don't know how I didn't loose any fingers on the router doing this. :eek:

Steve

They were made from cherry and I cut them out on the band saw and used the router to round the edges then hollowed them out about a 1/4" to set down over the plywood and glued them altogether in pieces. they were about 1" square to begin with. It was a lot of sanding but worth it in the end when finished. Don't know how I didn't loose any fingers on the router doing this. :eek:

Steve

1" pieces, man I bet that took alot of time!
And yes, you have to be very carefull with routers, they are one of the most dangerous wood working tools IMO

/ I built my daughter a toy box for christmas (pics) #19  
A friend of mine who is a master woodworker, not a novice, got careless and was going to change his router bit and did not unplug it first and he had the bit in his hand and was using the other hand to loosen the chuck when the router started to slip out of his hand and he hit the trigger trying to stop it from falling and the bit chewed up the inside of two of his fingers on his right hand...much surgery followed so it can happen to the best.