Generalized Rant

/ Generalized Rant #1  

timswi

Tractor
Kubota BX23 TLB, Kubota RTV1100, Kubota Z724 & Polaris RZR 900 Trail
Given the state of the economy, you would think that all businesses would be bending over backwards to keep cusomers happy so that they come back.

I bought my wife a Hummer H3, slightly used but not cheap, for her 40th birthday. A week later the TPM service light came on..No big deal. Took it back twice to the dealer. once they said it was fixed..All they did was clear the codes. Got 5 miles from the dealer and it came back on.

Went back the next day. The "tech" cleared the codes and said that the tire pressures were low causing the problem. I called the dealer and told them that I am a recovering machanic and sevice manager and that the "tech'" flat out lied on the RO. Low pressures will set off the warning light, but not the service warning. Second trip ended up the same as the first.

Came home and reset the system myself..lasted 3 days instead of 5 miles. Went back, and they finally found a fault..how about that?

While I was there, I told them to replace the key fob as the part that connects to the key chain was broken on mine..$113.00...Rip-off, but whatever.

Next day SHMBO calls at work an tells me that her transmitter doesn't work. Battery I figure. Replace the battery and nothing.

Turns out, all transmitters must be present if you replace one. No one told me this, now I'm $113.00 lighter and no better off...

Can someone explain this garbage that is becomming common in our society?

If I did my job the way that is becomming common I would have been fired years ago.

This is but one example of the lack of concern of many customer service people over the last few years...

I'm not going to get into the issues with my RTV500 that had to be figured out with various TBN members since Kubota couldn't care less.

When you spend a ton of money, is it too much to ask to get you money's worth?

Generalized rant..But gotta vent somewhere.

/ Generalized Rant #2  
I would have to agree that the service we took for granted in this country a few years ago is hard to find these days. I think we are a society of convenience these days. We don't want to take the few extra minutes to drive to the "good dealer" or to the "good store" a few miles further away. Instead we will save a few minutes of driving time by going to the place most convenient. Then we go back to this same place several times to fix a single problem. When I find a "good dealer" or "good store" I stay with them. No matter how long it takes me to get there within reason. At at the end of a year this long drive will have saved me time. Because I only have to have things fixed once.

/ Generalized Rant
I would have to agree that the service we took for granted in this country a few years ago is hard to find these days. I think we are a society of convenience these days. We don't want to take the few extra minutes to drive to the "good dealer" or to the "good store" a few miles further away. Instead we will save a few minutes of driving time by going to the place most convenient. Then we go back to this same place several times to fix a single problem. When I find a "good dealer" or "good store" I stay with them. No matter how long it takes me to get there within reason. At at the end of a year this long drive will have saved me time. Because I only have to have things fixed once.

Agreed...However I'm stuck with the only Hummer dealer within 75 miles of me...And these people are 25 miles away..Hardly convenient...Just the way it is I guess.

/ Generalized Rant #4  
I think you are overreacting, I got a few mil warnings on my new Dodge, with Brand new at the time 6.7 Cummins, with a brand new to Dodge Aisin Tranny.

The so called techs really don't know themselves sometimes, took me half a dozen visits to figure things out. sometimes the codes clear or overlap.

I don't think they are intending to give poor service, they're more like little lost children, trying to guess where they are. I found you have to be gentle with them, coddle them, don't get angry with them, that stresses them out and makes things worse. eventually they'll get it.

Of course there's exceptions, very qualified techs, but with the poor economy many of them are jumping sinking ships from one dealer to another. Their replacements may not be as experienced.

It's bad, but not intentional :(

JB.

/ Generalized Rant #5  
Agreed...However I'm stuck with the only Hummer dealer within 75 miles of me...And these people are 25 miles away..Hardly convenient...Just the way it is I guess.

I did not mean to criticize your particular situation. I think this is a very important post. I guess I had a rant of my own. If we starve the "bad stores" and "bad dealers" they will go away. Nothing else will work.

/ Generalized Rant #6  
I think you are overreacting, I got a few mil warnings on my new Dodge, with Brand new at the time 6.7 Cummins, with a brand new to Dodge Aisin Tranny.

The so called techs really don't know themselves sometimes, took me half a dozen visits to figure things out. sometimes the codes clear or overlap.

I don't think they are intending to give poor service, they're more like little lost children, trying to guess where they are. I found you have to be gentle with them, coddle them, don't get angry with them, that stresses them out and makes things worse. eventually they'll get it.

Of course there's exceptions, very qualified techs, but with the poor economy many of them are jumping sinking ships from one dealer to another. Their replacements may not be as experienced.

It's bad, but not intentional :(

JB.

I would agree if they coddled me on the price. They charge full price for a professional service. What the heck? Do you think the techs are having a harder time than any of the rest of us?

/ Generalized Rant
JB,

I agree with you when it comes to strange stuff...And believe me I've had my share.

Given that the tech never really looked for the problem and blamed me on the RO (not always endearing to the customer)..I have to assume I was blown off.

For the record: One tire had 38lb one had 30lb and 2 had 32lb after the "tech" worked on it. And he's blaming me?

I was a service advisor and a service manager...if this happened in my shop, I would have made the tech spend all day on it if needed. That's just the way I do things. I wasn't popular with the mechanics in my time in the dealer, but our manufacturer surveys were always top notch. Customers always came back and trusted me without question. In fact, when I was on the desk (prior to being named manager) I made more money working part time during college than the full time guy did...Why?..I was honest, understood the product and demanded that the customer always be taken care of. I would drive cars home at night to make sure that the complaint was taken care of.....Wow could I tell you some stories.

Not that hard if you are doing you job...Actually it's easier to do it right the first time than have to clean up a mess later.

You know how it goes..Do unto others...

/ Generalized Rant #8  
JB,

I agree with you when it comes to strange stuff...And believe me I've had my share.

Given that the tech never really looked for the problem and blamed me on the RO (not always endearing to the customer)..I have to assume I was blown off.

I was a service advisor and a service manager...if this happened in my shop, I would have made the tech spend all day on it if needed. That's just the way I do things. I wasn't popular with the mechanics in my time in the dealer, but our manufacturer surveys were always top notch. Customers always came back and trusted me without question. In fact, when I was on the desk (prior to being named manager) I made more money working part time during college than the full time guy did...Why?..I was honest, understood the product and demanded that the customer always be taken care of. I would drive cars home at night to make sure that the complaint was taken care of.....Wow could I tell you some stories.

Not that hard if you are doing you job...Actually it's easier to do it right the first time than have to clean up a mess later.

You know how it goes..Do unto others...

Well spoken. I would have been a lifetime customer at your place. I would have driven the few extra miles. The disappointment in a dealer is there if you are willing accept it. They are not there just because you have moved right around the corner. You have to find them.

/ Generalized Rant
Well spoken. I would have been a lifetime customer at your place. I would have driven the few extra miles. The disappointment in a dealer is there if you are willing accept it. They are not there just because you have moved right around the corner. You have to find them.

Thanks Whistle...I tried, probably more than I should have. I now wonder whether staying in that business might have been a good thing..Who knows?

Sad but this is so common anymore, I have no idea how some of these clowns stay in business..One hit wonders I guess...

It's to the point of being accepted and it shouldn't be.

I am shocked by actual service.. ie. Crutchfield and Summit Racing, they are the exceptions to the norm and they shouldn't be..

/ Generalized Rant #10  
I don't know where this type of problem fits in the spectrum of difficulty, I would guess not very difficult unless something weird is going on. Anyways, maybe with the economy and car sales down as they are, techs aren't getting the level of training they would normally have, plus jumping ships as mentioned.

Some of the repair issues must come down to either you know how it works and how to fix it, or you don't. You can't tell by staring at it. That takes product specific training.

I agree, the tech shouldn't try to blow you off. For some people saying 'I will have to research that and find the solution' is a non-starter eventhough it's an honest answer.

From the customer's viewpoint, we don't like to hear anything except 'It's all fixed'. I am sure with your experience, you have been bullied by customers when offering honest answers. :D Well, then the pain avoidance kicks in.
Dave.