High Speed Internet

/ High Speed Internet #1  

Mrwurm

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC30 Hydro 4x4, Gravely Zero Turn Mower
I currently use a dial-up connection for internet access at home. It is really starting to fall short of my needs. There is no cable service available in my area so a cable modem is out. Is there anything else that runs off phone lines or sattelite that will speed up my downloads? I have DishNetwork satellite tv if that makes any difference.

Oh yeah, I should say that I'm in S.E. MIchigan.

/ High Speed Internet #2  
Jerry, check with your ISP/phone company to see if some form of DSL is available. The phone company might also offer ISDN service. Both run over standard phone lines. The only satellite service I am aware of comes from one of them.

/ High Speed Internet #3  
What part of Michigan? I have the same issue in Armada. No cable or DSL available. ISDN is an option but Ameritech wants way too much for that.

/ High Speed Internet
Vince, I am in Almont. We do not have Ameritech phone service in Lapeer county. Verizon is the local provider and I don't believe they offer any internet service.

/ High Speed Internet
Direct tv and Dishnetwork are in the middle of a merger right now. They claim that high speed internet for all will be one of the beneficial outcomes. I'm not sure how their system will work. I'll check that link you provided.

/ High Speed Internet #6  
Are you sure Verizon does do DSL in you area? They do here in the NorthWestern Vermont.

Try this <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.verizon.net/>link</A> to see if you have Verizon DSL in you area, fill in your phone number.

/ High Speed Internet
Derek, thanks for the link. I plugged in my number and it told me the service is not available for my area. /w3tcompact/icons/mad.gif

/ High Speed Internet #8  
I wouldn't completely trust the web forms, I would call them. I have had DSL for almost 1 year yet if I go to my provider's web site and type in my address and phone number, it reports DSL is not available in my area.

The only reason I have DSL is, in my monthly, frustrating visit to the web site to see if DSL was available, I made a mistake typing in my phone number. (I have two phone lines, each with a different exchange and final four digits. I had typed in the three exchange digits for one line and used the last four digits from the second line) It reported I could get DSL, so I signed up. When I discovered my typo, I thought about canceling then I thought I would see what happened. A human called me to verify my information and to confirm which phone number I wanted DSL on. I gave them the correct phone number. Poof, I got it.

/ High Speed Internet
Mike, I'll give them a call tomorrow. Thanks. Your story reminds me of the pizza place by my house. They always say it will be ready in 45 min or an hour. I show up in thirty minutes and its always ready. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

OK, I'll admit it. I'm not quite sure what 'DSL' is?

/ High Speed Internet #10  
Digital Subscriber Line. You have now plumbed the depths of my knowledge. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Here's a link to another place that can tell you if DSL is available near you.