Daytona 500

/ Daytona 500 #1  

jimmyj

Elite Member
Tractor
Allis Chalmers 616 (Two) and a Kioti CK30 HST with loader and backhoe
I am all keyed up to watch the race. I used to be "nuts" for Nascar but I must admit my interest has waned a bit the last 3 or so years. Nevertheless, I'll be tuned in with my chicken wings and so on.

Who's watching, who's not? Do you have a team, driver, sponsor or manufacturer you cheer for? I became a Rusty Wallace fan when he bonked Earhnardt with a water bottle. I like the 2 car but am not crazy about Kurt Busch but it is a Penske Dodge and those are good things.

I also watch F1 racing.

Any comments race fans?

/ Daytona 500 #2  
In my younger days, Daytona was my favorite, but I liked NASCAR, too. I wanted to watch all the races. But I've watched so little of either now for many years that I don't know anything about the drivers or the cars.

/ Daytona 500 #3  
I'll be watching. I think this year will be one of the better years for NASCAR in a while. Simply because of the numerous rule changes they've made. Such as, standardized start times for every race, (east coast day time races will all begin at 1 pm, etc...), unlimited bump drafting in the corners at Talladega and Daytona, (basically telling drivers, "police yourselves", no more of the snooze fest that Talladega in the fall was last year), allowing drivers to more freely express their "emotions" and not having to worry about NASCAR handing out ridiculous fines and points deductions because of it. Should be interesting.

/ Daytona 500 #4  
Racing has been a very popular event the last 10 years, or at least more followers. For some reason I have never taken to it, I don't know if its the "round and round" or what. I've been to one race years ago with a Buddie, the noise was deafening and I couldn't wait to leave.

I have a couple of friends that go to Texas MS, but they go to look at the girls that they say hang out in the campers/rv area parting...I have seen some pics..:D

/ Daytona 500 #5  
My son-in-law and grandson got to the races there. Of course, they live close to the Texas Motor Speedway and I think our daughter bought some of kind of season passes for them. I hadn't heard about the girls, though.:D But, like you, I couldn't stand all that noise anymore. But I liked it until I was about 25 years old.:D

/ Daytona 500 #6  
I like the Road Races best, perhaps it's because I raced Sports Cars for so many years, and my favorite track was and is Watkins Glen.

/ Daytona 500 #7  
I like the Road Races best, perhaps it's because I raced Sports Cars for so many years, and my favorite track was and is Watkins Glen.

Yep, I always liked the road races best, but it seems there are so few of them that I never see any of them anymore.

I've thought ever since I was old enough to drive that the winding road around through Lake Murray State Park at Ardmore, OK, would be a great road racing course.:D

/ Daytona 500 #8  
I'm not much of a race fan, but I do watch the Daytone 500. I think it comes from watching it with my father years ago when one of the Allisons got into the fight with Cale Yarborough. We normally would have been doing something outdoors, cutting wood or snowmobiling, but I think we had blizzard like conditions that day. It was very rare for my Dad to spend hours in front of the TV-it was a special day, listening to him talk about fooling with cars when he was younger.

Will

/ Daytona 500 #9  
Watch it every weekend!!! Chevy fan here.. Don't like the "Toy's".. Jr. is the driver I like the most,,Just wish he would get ride of the crew cheef..but blood runs deep..:confused:

What do you think about Danica ??? hmmmm :rolleyes:

/ Daytona 500 #10  
Anyone need some old Home Depot Tony Stewart flags? Do you think something like that would ever become valuable like rookie baseball cards? I live less than 2 hours from Talladega, but have never had an interest in anything Nascar. Go fast and turn left, and the crazy idea of teams, makes it sound a bit like roller derby. But it is popular down this way to many folks, however, Nascar racing attendance saw the effects of the economy last year.

Now to the HD TS flags: A few years back I added on to each side of my house, new master bath/closet/expand bed room on one side and a new den/football watching room and screen porch on the other side. I needed windows and one sliding glass door, so, reluctantly, I ordered them from Home Depot. Well, I got a call that the products were in so I hooked up my trailer and took off to HD. When I got there I saw a huge Customer Appreciation Tent set up in the parking lot, with refreshments, vendor representatives, etc. I went inside to get my stuff, paid the bill (over $2500) and the salesman told me to take my receipt to the tent and I would get a door prize. I got the windows and doors loaded on the truck and trailer and proceeded to the tent.

Primarily, it was more appreciating the HD representatives talk than appreciating the customer, so I just enjoyed the refreshments and listened. Then they asked if anyone had bought anything, if so show their receipt. One guy gave them a receipt for three or four hundred dollars, they made a big deal out of it, and gave him a small refrigerator. Another guy showed his receipt, about the same amount, they made a big deal and gave him a NICE DeWalt cordless system--with drill, saw, sawsall, etc. My mouth was watering.

The guy asked if anyone else had made a purchase. Proudly, I gave him my over $2500 receipt, he made a BIG deal out of it. He pointed me to a corner of the make-do stage to show me my appreciation prize. I was now the proud owner of two Tony Stewart fold out chairs, two TS travel mugs, one TS racing shirt, and four TS car flags. Now if there were 25 people under that tent we could have taken a poll and I guarantee I would have been the least Nascar fan there. I took my prize, tucked my tail, and went home.

The chairs have come in handy at the beach, the mugs are great on the Kioti tractor, the shirt is great orange for deer hunting, but I am yet to use those four flags. Everytime I see them in my storage area under the house, I think how nice that DeWalt took kit was. And then, my man TS changed teams.