When I'm not tractoring, I'm?

/ When I'm not tractoring, I'm? #1  

Tractors4u

Elite Member
Tractor
Deere 4310, Kubota L355, John Deere SST18 Spin Steer, 2006 Polaris Ranger
When I\'m not tractoring, I\'m?

I thought this would make an interesting thread. I know some of you have other hobbies besides tractoring. I have had a 4 wheeler (ATV) for years but just recently traded it for a Honda Odyssey 350, no not the mini van, but the original Honda Odyssey. Just when I was starting to settle down I get something with a 4 point seatbelt and a rollcage. Where are those jumps? See attached picture.

Attachments

• 6-181449-OdysseySide.jpg.jpg
    6-181449-OdysseySide.jpg.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 86
   / When I'm not tractoring, I'm? #2  
Re: When I\'m not tractoring, I\'m?

Here's a pic of my two favorite things to do. 1. Spend time with the family. 2. Working with the horses.

Attachments

• 6-181466-cashfamily1.jpg
    6-181466-cashfamily1.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 86
   / When I'm not tractoring, I'm? #3  

Richard,
Nice looking family. I have the same favorite things with little ones is there really any time for anything else./w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

/ When I'm not tractoring, I'm? #4  

When I'm not pushing dirt from one place to another, I like to take bigger pieces of metal and turn them into smaller pieces.

Dave Perry aka karma-kanic
& home shop machinist

Attachments

• 6-181493-machineshoppic.jpg
    6-181493-machineshoppic.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 81
   / When I'm not tractoring, I'm? #5  

When I am not tractoring I am at work. When I am not asleep I am at work. Work, work, work. Overtime all the time. I have had a steady stream of overtime for a year and have had little time for other interests.

If I had my druthers, and that does not include tractoring, I would druther be in the country in the woods getting ready for deer season. Or fishing... maybe this fall. Or off visiting with my grandkids in Canada.

Geeze, I forgot that what it was like to have a life outside of work!/w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif

/ When I'm not tractoring, I'm? #6  

Busy as a bee! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Attachments

• 6-181510-dave1.jpg
    6-181510-dave1.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 79
   / When I'm not tractoring, I'm? #7  

Where do I start? Well, most of my time is spent with my first child Danielle who was born last week. That and the new house we are building, is where the free time is now. But when that calms down, I have other things. I have a few old Fords that I am restoring. A 1970 Mustang that is my wifes, that is all torn down, and wating for some time to start putting back together, and a 1972 LTD convertible. Thats my toy. It goes in for a full resto after the stang is done. Also I enjoy trains, bolth real, and model. And I also build small wooden boats.

/ When I'm not tractoring, I'm? #8  

Seems I'm doing a lot of that "not tractoring" stuff lately. This year has been a bit odd for us with the new house going up (see <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=projects&Number=168859&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=>House II</A>). Home improvement is one of my favorite pastimes so this is really a kickoff to a lifetime of improvements, landscaping, gardening etc. When not doing that I am an avid cyclist, woodworker, occasional hockey player and I enjoy a nice Martini on the porch with my wife /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ When I'm not tractoring, I'm? #9  

Well darn, what would I do when I'm not having fun. Gawd, I don't know.

I like my tractor, the JCB. I guess if I could I'd have a bigger skid steer for bigger grins and keep this one for working around the shop and doing some of the things she does so well.

If I had time I'd really like to spend more time working with wood. The same goes for rock. And let's not forget the blacksmithing. And I couldn't live if they took away my ability to weld stuff up.

I love speed. And the old system gets really pumping at the sound of a motor getting after it. It doesn't seem to matter if it's screaming two stroke, a bump bumping big block or a winding small one. A motor playing catch me if you can is singing my song.

If an angel with a perverted sense of humor dropped in and offered me one wish just for me, forget all the extreneous stuff. We'd be driving a class 8 in the Baja 1000 hopefully passing young guys and dusting them as we went buy.

Probably the most fun I've ever had that was just pure fun was racing figure eights in Southern California. Going around and around is fun. Going around and around with an intersection full of fools is real fun. I guess what I liked about it more than anything else was the calculating the intersection meetings. As the rearend's coming around you glance down at the other end of the track to see who's gonna be there and just when. Then you either feather it a bit and swing a little wide cause they're gonna be there first. That way you don't have to let off and lose momentum. Or you tuck it in a little tighter and go for being there first but on the inside so you'll be through it just before they arrive.

What used to give the rush was that split second you brace for the impact and when it doesn't happen you've got your hands full catching the next corner and setting it all up to do it again.

The other thing I loved about the figure eight racing was there was no yellow flags and no black flags. It was also perfectly acceptable to spin the slow driver in front of you if they didn't move over after the first two bumps. Of if you were in a real hurry, the two bumps weren't required.

For me the racing was almost like I was a cat on a slick floor with wax paper booties. The sensations were like my hands and feet were the tires and I could almost feel them clawing for grip. And a big power slide on a half mile was almost like dancing.

Yesterday wannabesoninlaw came by the shop after work. Him and his best friend are talking about making a go cart for best friend's boys. Been there and done that, more'n once.

I've had folks want me to make them cars for the track but I have this very selfish thing. I don't want to make no car for some other fool to drive. If I make it. I want to drive it. But now I'm coming around to this palatable alternative. I wouldn't mind making one for a grandkid to drive. The only thing better than that would be to have a grandaughter drive one to the front and leave the boys with their pants down wondering what happened.

We used to have a lady named Bev Arnold that drove the figure eights at Ascot Park and Corona Raceway. She was in her late forties or early fifties at the time. Nice trim cowgirl looking lady, sorta grandmawee in a way. But I'm sure I wasn't the only guy in the pits that wondered where she had them juevos tucked away in them jeans. Cause she had them in spades extra large and harder than a racist's head.

The first night I drove a figure eight car I hit that intersection coming out of four and I thought it would happen just like it did when she drove. I hit that intersection, caught the bump caused from the cross traffic, and turned the wheel. Car didn't turn. I hit that wall going probably sixty almost head on. I heard stars and saw bells let me tell you.

Hard work's at the door. Gawd she's a hussey. And I do lover her dearly. One of these days I'll figure out if she truly loves me or for her it's all about the sex.

/ When I'm not tractoring, I'm? #10  

<<<<<<<<
<<<<<<<<

That there is my first love and joy. (Hope the picture comes out, been having trouble with my scanner) I've been in EMS (Paramedic) going on 15 years, and I've never found anything to be half as rewarding. I've run the gauntlet of jobs, from military intelligence, satellite communications, ultrasonics research and development, general electronics, carpentry, electricial, plumbing and a few more. But nothing compares to EMS.

As for other activities, I'm into astronomy, photography, amateur radio (WA1ZPD), trivia nut, computers (of course), surveying (thanks to what I've read here and one very obnoxious neighbor), chess and, oh yea, my B6100Dt. Can't forget that.

But my greatest joy has to be my three kids and two grandkids. They are spread out a bit, (the oldest lives up here with the two grandkids(lucky me), the youngest lives about 200 miles south and the middle one lives in Boston). They do make a father/grandfather proud.

Oh, just in case you're wondering, I don't live at the end of the world, but if I get on the roof, I can see it from here.

Attachments

• 6-181582-ambulance.JPG
    6-181582-ambulance.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 80