2001 GMC Yukon XL (SLT) transmission

/ 2001 GMC Yukon XL (SLT) transmission #1  

Alan L.

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710
My wife has this truck with 152K miles, we bought it new and love it and really want to keep it another couple of years since a new one just like it is like $45K. Also, I don't know what the economy is going to do, where fuel prices are going to be, and don't know if I would buy this large a vehicle if I were replacing it.

I plan to spend some money on it, new shocks, brakes, plugs (never been replaced), and possibly front end work like ball joints. But the transmission has never been rebuilt and I expect it could go at any time.

Does it make any sense at all to have a transmission shop go through it even though it seems just fine? Could the rebuild possibly be cheaper than it would be if it fails? I hesitate to take long trips in the truck because of the high miles on the transmission.

Before doing anything I will probably get the engine looked at to make sure it looks good to go for a long time. The oil has always been changed and it runs fine, doesn't use oil, and has no leaks. Hopefully its good for another 50 or 60K miles at least.

In all this time we have replaced the fuel pump and thats it (but that was $700).

/ 2001 GMC Yukon XL (SLT) transmission #2  
I wouldn't touch that transmission unless you have a reason to do it. I would get the filter and fluid changed and get the fluid analyzed. If that transmission is still shifting smoothly and has no leaks, I'd run it until it starts having a problem. I doubt you would ever have to worry about it leaving you on the side of the road.

/ 2001 GMC Yukon XL (SLT) transmission #3  
I wouldn't touch it either. If you decide to drop the pan and change the filter (which I would do) have it flushed too. It is not good to mix the new fluid that will refill the pan with the old stuff left inside the torque converter and the clutch packs and all. The fluid may be at it's total saturation point, and adding new fluid with the new detergents may cause the fluid to "wash out" and drop all of the cantaminants that are being suspended right now. I also recommend using a synthetic fluid. It should cost you less than $220.00 to flush it with synthetic fluid.

/ 2001 GMC Yukon XL (SLT) transmission #4  
Allan
I know where you are coming from. We have a 98 Suburban 2 WD that I hope continues on for a while. We used it early on to occassionally pull horse trailer and covered Scout trailer until about 2001 when we got our first DMAX. The Suburban has 265 K miles with original engine and transmission. It does have a cooler for the transmission with the towing package. I asked a mechanic friend about what should I do to help ensure long life of transmission. He suggested if it is not broke don't fix it. He suggested drop the pan and change the internal filter and fluids. I don't think he indicated to flush or do anything more for fear of sturring up junk in the fluid. I did that at a little over 200k. So far it is still going. About the only thing I pull with it is occasionly a 4x8 trailer with a 4 wheeler on it. I am trying to baby it.

Son has had it at school for 4 years. He has changed the intake manifold gasket (leaking water), plugs, wires, dist cap and a few other items recently. Nothing major on the vehicle. It has been a great vehicle! When this one goes we'll not replace it with another. Pull with DMAX now and don't need to carry Scouts or bunch of kids.

Most expensive repair, I let the shop change the fuel pump before I realized the pump was in the tank and the cost was going to be $750 :eek: because they had to drop the 42 gallon gas tank!

/ 2001 GMC Yukon XL (SLT) transmission #5  
I'll second the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" adage. Chances are you'll detect some slipage or problems changing gears before it just won't pull it all - just put aside some bucks between now & then to handle it. If you have been getting the filter/fluid change at regular intervals, I would continue that as you have been. As for the engine, bar any non-typical issues, there are plenty of GM products on the road with the 5.3 engine that have well in excess of 200k on them and some with far more.

/ 2001 GMC Yukon XL (SLT) transmission #6  
Have you ever changed the transmission fluid?...At 150K and it never being changed, I'm not sure i would. I've seen tranny's go because the clutches get washed off with the new detergents and then it's all over. If you have changed it before, you'll be fine.

I'd bet that truck has 220K+ in it..That's where I run my Chevy trucks to anyway with minimal issues.

/ 2001 GMC Yukon XL (SLT) transmission #7  
96 and up gm's are made to go 100,000 before their first tune up, i would flush the tranny and the cooling system, change the plugs and do everything else on your list, then feel good that it is paid for. then drive it till falls apart

/ 2001 GMC Yukon XL (SLT) transmission
We had the transmission fluid changed at 80,000 miles. I had the radiator flushed at that time also. It is a very comfortable vehicle and I can't see giving it away for $7500 or so and then putting $45k into a new one.

It is 4WD, does that make the tranny rebuild cost more? I wonder if its the same tranny as in a 2WD. The truck has a towing package, so I think it does have the transmission cooler on it. Guess I should take a look.

A long time ago I owned a 1978 Ford Fairmont - bought it new for $5500. When I bought a boat, I had an aftermarket transmission cooler retrofitted to it.

/ 2001 GMC Yukon XL (SLT) transmission #9  
A 4wd tranny is _generally_ 98% the same as the 2wd but they will charge you more to rebuild it anyway.

If you changed the fluid at 80K I would change the fluid again at 160K. Otherwise I wouldn't touch it at all.

What makes you think the tranny is going to go any second? In my experience an auto that will go any second will sit for a bit before it engages after you put it in D or R.

/ 2001 GMC Yukon XL (SLT) transmission #10  
We had the transmission fluid changed at 80,000 miles. I had the radiator flushed at that time also. It is a very comfortable vehicle and I can't see giving it away for $7500 or so and then putting $45k into a new one.

It is 4WD, does that make the tranny rebuild cost more? I wonder if its the same tranny as in a 2WD. The truck has a towing package, so I think it does have the transmission cooler on it. Guess I should take a look.

A long time ago I owned a 1978 Ford Fairmont - bought it new for $5500. When I bought a boat, I had an aftermarket transmission cooler retrofitted to it.

Alan,

Change the fluid and drive the wheels off that thing. You've done everything right so far. There's alot of time left in that truck yet.

They charge more for a 4x4 tranny because they have to take the transfer case out. Adds a little more labor to the whole mess.