Food in bed

/ Food in bed #1  

czechsonofagun

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B1750
My mom used to do that and I consider it quite normal. I baked casserole this morning, wrapped the pot in towels and stored it in bed under bunch of pillows to keep it warm for the afternoon. Is it the American way too or is it just one of my little foreign perks?:D:D

/ Food in bed #3  
Casserole is OK, but anything that can make crumbs is strictly verboten:)

I'll have to agree with Bird, I've never heard of that either. I have heard of putting something hot under the covers to warm the bed up in the winter.

Mark

/ Food in bed #4  
Prokop,

You could write a book :p

No that's not a western trait that I've ever heard of. maybe not a bad idea but wouldn't go over well with us Yanks.

Would make a great SNL sketch, newly arrived neighbors invite the locals over for diner and reveal their little culinary secret, Casserole Ala BED SPREAD :eek:

My mother still has an old bed warmer hanging in the hall, where you would fill this covered brass pan with hot coals and slide it around under the covers, it has a 3-4 ft wood handle on it.

Your casserole would have the same effect, a nice cozy warm bed :D

JB.

/ Food in bed #5  
Could that tradition go back to the days of the large thermal mass stoves many of which were also used as the base for a bed??:D

/ Food in bed #6  
My mom used to do that and I consider it quite normal. I baked casserole this morning, wrapped the pot in towels and stored it in bed under bunch of pillows to keep it warm for the afternoon. Is it the American way too or is it just one of my little foreign perks?:D:D

Prokop,

If your Airedales are like mine, that action could prove dicey... perhaps your signature has some bearing on the question? :D:D:D

Last edited:
   / Food in bed #7  
Prokop, I've never heard of that. How long will the casserole stay warm by doing that? It seems to me that in these modern times, using a styrofoam box or cooler would do a better job of keeping in the heat. Besides, if I wake up at night and my bed smells like food from the odors in the covers, I might be up and getting a midnight snack.:)

/ Food in bed #8  
LOL, Dreams of eating a delicious casserole, only to wake up and find you ate half of your blanket during the night :eek: :D

JB

/ Food in bed
OK, some more details. I baked it in heavy cast iron pot - like Chasseur - on 350F with the lid on. When I pulled it out I wrapped it in towels and insulated by pillows/ As far as the bed is concerned, it does not smell like casarole, the only purpose is to keep it warm.

The kids had some when they got home at 3-4PM and I went hunting and at 7PM it was still nicely warm - I could eat it without heating it up. Beats TV dinner IMHO and just preserving the heat is a green behavior, right?:D

Speaking of bed warmers. Dad of my friend was a pyrotechnician in Czechoslovakia after WWII. He spent 3 years cleaning up the area of Dukla Pass. The war left there tons of explosives of any kind. And also people living in the middle of what was once a battlefield. There was an old shepherd who used german teller mine - anti tank - as bed warmer. It has this handy handle and he always heated it up on the stove and put it in his bed to keep him warm during the night. Well they took the mine away but that shepherd was really ticked off - he had to sleep in cold bed:D:D

Attachments

• Teller-mine-35_640x480.JPG
    Teller-mine-35_640x480.JPG
    212.1 KB · Views: 89
   / Food in bed #10  
When I was a kid, I heard of warming a brick and wrapping it in a towel or blanket to warm the foot of the bed. I never did that myself, but I had a baby blanket and I'd hold it in front of the heater in the living room to warm it real good, then run in the bedroom, jump in that cold bed, and wrap that little blanket around my feet. Our kids and grandkids would have no idea what it is to sleep in a house without central heat on all night, but I was more than 20 years old before I ever slept in a house that had any heat on at all at night. In fact, we kept the doors closed and didn't even heat the bedrooms in the daytime.