Battery went dead in truck

/ Battery went dead in truck #1  

Scott_in_WVA

Gold Member
I have a deep cycle marine battery,that I never use.Would it be alright to use it in my pickup?I don't see any reason that I couldn't use it.What do you think?

/ Battery went dead in truck #2  
It will work but the deep cycle battery delivers about 10% less cranking amps than an equally sized cranking battery. So the deep cycle battery should be about 10% larger (amp rating) than what your vehicle calls for to get equal performance.

/ Battery went dead in truck
Thank you Ozark.....I will have to look at the labels tommorow when it is daylight.The marine battery should have more reserve power(amps)?

/ Battery went dead in truck #4  
<font color=blue>"The marine battery should have more reserve power amps)?"</font color=blue>

Yes. Cranking batteries are normally rated at Cranking Amps and Cold Cranking Amps. Deep Cycle batteries are just rated at Amps with no consideration of cold cranking.

If your Manufacturer calls for a battery of say 700 cranking amps for your application, that would equal about 550 Cold Cranking amps. Batteries have a lowered ability to produce amps in the cold.

To make sure you cover that need, you should size a Deep cycle battery about 10% higher so you should have one rated at a minimum of 770 amps to meet the 700 cranking amp requirement.

/ Battery went dead in truck #5  
With great trepidation I leap into the fray with a slightly different slant on things from Ozarker. There are a couple "styles" of "deep cycle" batts. One is made for cranking AND deep cycle use while the other "True" deep cycle battery is not. The real deep cycle battery will provide a good service life in a deep cycle application and the regular starting battery won't. The deep cycle batt will not provide a satisfactory service life in a starting application if their is an appreciable starting current requirement (which you have).

Yes you can use the deep cyle battery for a starting battery BUT it won't last long and might leave you stranded at an bad time. Its plates and internal busses are not built for high current draw and you will ruin in it short order in all liklihood.

Typically, a deep cycle batt is rated for Amp-hours (AH) only. By convention the AH rating is a 20 hour discharge. For example if a 100 AH battery was set up to deliver 5 amps and lasted 20 hours before discharging to the lower limit voltage prescribed for the test, that would be 100 amp-hours. Before cranking and cold cranking ratings were in common use, amp-hours were specified but as is plain to see that rating is meaningless in a starting application where there is heavy current draw. There is an effect similar to reciprosity failure in film. If you discharged your hypothetical 100 AH batt at a 20 amp rate it would not last 5 hrs but a lot less. The faster you take it out the less you get is the way it works.

Personally I wouldn't think the uncertainty of when the vehicle would strand someone would motivate me to "use up" the deep cycle batt in a vehicle. Buy a starting batt and find another use for the deep cycle: Fence charger, troling motor, emergency power for 12 volt lights or small inverter for use in a power outage, donation to a worth cause, door stop, exercise weight, something but not in a vehicle that you may depend on to not leave you stranded.

Patrick

/ Battery went dead in truck #6  
Patirck,

Thank you for the explanation of the two styles of deep cycle batteries. I think you explained why I have a discharged deep cycle battery after only a few uses. I'm hoping you can confirm this for me.

I have a deep cycle battery on a trailer to power the electric motor for the hydraulic tilt bed. I also want to hard wire a winch from the trailer to that same battery.

From what you said it would seem to me I have the "wrong" style of deep cycle battery as it is discharged after only a few uses of the tilt bed. The motor I'm powering appears to be a simple starter motor. Is a deep cycle battery even what I need for this application? If it is, what would be the "right" style of battery for my appllication? What should I look for on labeling or whatever? If a deep cycle isn't the way for me to go, what do you recommend? Thanks.

/ Battery went dead in truck #7  
Patrick

We have been doing a lot of research into batteries. We use a second battery in our four wheel drives to run our fridges when camping etc.

Our fridges specify deep cycles which we bought, having previously used starting batteries as our second batteries as they were cheaper and fine for running lights etc. off.

(We have an isolated second battery so we don't drain the starting battery when inremote spots etc.)

We seem to feel that a deep cycle battery takes a lot longer to charge up than a starting battery (when both used as the second battery)

is that a valid observation?

We know something of "surface charge" where a bttery soon tells the regulator to stop putting in a big charge and only trickle charge, and the auto elec. says that even starting batteries take hours to fully recharge when driving.

What are your comments?

I have rambled on a bit here. Maybe we can talk specifics if you follow the above?

Cheers

/ Battery went dead in truck #8  
Neil:
The deep cycle battery in our camper can take over a week to recharge if it gets fully run down. Out at the farm I will have a generator along so its no problem recharging but its best done every day as the lower the battery gets the charging time seems to increase exponentially.
I have a 2 hp. Brigs&Stratton engine I am thinking of hooking up to a car alternator and then adding an inverter for 110 power. This would give me the ability to plug in the block heater and the total unit is small enough to fit on the camper. Of course Honda has this real nice 1000 watt EUE unit but can't aford one.

Egon

/ Battery went dead in truck
I could not use the deep cycle it if I wanted to,the thing is way to big to fit in the battery tray,I am kind of dissapointed in the battery I had that failed, it was an Interstate battery with a 5 year warranty and failed with one month left on the warranty.

/ Battery went dead in truck #10  
2 Coments: Aren't prorata waranties fun?? Do you think the battery engineers have found a way to build in a "sort of timer" that knows when to fail the batery so you get no significant allowance AND have to by another batt??

Patrick