AC to DC converter

/ AC to DC converter
Just a guess, but the 1300mA (1.3A) is probably what it can supply at 9V. No wattage rating on the case?
9V X 1.3A = 11.7 Watts
3V X 1.3A = 3.9 Watts

Dave.

no watts listed from what I can tell.. it has a variable 3 to 12 Volts and 1.3A.. the website says "UPTO 1.3A" but that is not what is on the unit itself. Im wondering if that is only as 12 volts? This ad below says 1amp of power..

ANTOnline.com - PowerLine 900-77 PowerLine 1300mA Universal Adapter #0900-77

Im not an electriciann or even slept in a Holiday Inn Express last night, so tolerate my ignorance.. From what has been posted it looks like i really need something at least 1.5 A (or better 2 amps) , even if it is over the 9Volts??? Does the more Amps or volts hurt anything?

brian

/ AC to DC converter #12  
We have a (edited to correct) elliptical (NOT treadmill) that I want to start using.. My wife has relocated (ie lost) the power cord to it while cleaning up.. (rant on) After the cord being in the room for 3 years it mysteriously disappears and she 'hasnt seen it and hasnt moved it' - but she had to move it because its not there anymore.. (rant off)

The machine has a decal that says "9v - 1.5 amps" - and take the typical looking power plug connection..

Assuming I can find a plug that fits the pin, do i have to use a converter with that exact output? OR can you use something higher/lower?

thanks

Brian

Are you sure it's a DC adapter? It may be AC. Is there a little wavy symbol kinda like ~ nearby? If so, It's AC and no polarity issues. A DC adpapter should have the polarity symbol and something like an = sign, only the bottom line would be dashed, not solid.

/ AC to DC converter #13  
Here's the skinny on voltage, current, resistance and power. Sit back, grab a coffee, and enjoy the ride.
Almost everything electrical has resistance. It is defined as "opposition to current flow." Copper wire has resistance.
Voltage can be described as "Pressure". You can have very high voltages, but without current, it's pretty.
Current is the flow of electrons. Too much heats up wires, and starts fires, and current is what makes electricity deadly.
V(voltage) = I(current)/R (resistance ...called "ohms")
Power(in watts) is a function of voltage x current.
In school you learned that you cannot create energy, nor can you destroy it.
This makes those values proportional(inversely) meaning if the resistance is constant, Volts and amps will be proportional to each other. More volts = less amps. and more amps will mean less volts. If you try to power a 12v light with 6 volts, the current doubles and things get real hot! You need to give any appliance the proper voltage in order to ensure it's proper operation.
Soooo... Your appliance likes 9 volts... If you feed it higher volts, you will damage the delicate electronics inside. Less volts and the little gizmos won't work properly. It's important to always start with the proper voltage. Now if our appliance says... 10 watts, This means that 10watts / 9 volts = 1.11 amps. Your power supply needs to supply at least that or things will start to smoke.
Wires are rated by size, so your power supply was built with a certain sized wire.Too much current in those wires will melt them and start a fire!!! So if your appliance wants 1500mA @ 9 volts, but your power supply is maxxed at 1300mA, somethings gotta give. My guess is that if a internal fuse doesn't pop, those wires will melt. Notice how those little transformers run warm?? if you try to get more current, they will run HOT (briefly) Take a pic of your power tap and bring it to a radio shack, they can tell you what type of power supply to get.

/ AC to DC converter #14  
Here's the skinny on voltage, current, resistance and power. Sit back, grab a coffee, and enjoy the ride.
Almost everything electrical has resistance. It is defined as "opposition to current flow." Copper wire has resistance.
Voltage can be described as "Pressure". You can have very high voltages, but without current, it's pretty.
Current is the flow of electrons. Too much heats up wires, and starts fires, and current is what makes electricity deadly.
V(voltage) = I(current)/R (resistance ...called "ohms")

Correction. V = I * R, not V = I/R.

Power(in watts) is a function of voltage x current.
In school you learned that you cannot create energy, nor can you destroy it.
This makes those values proportional(inversely) meaning if the resistance is constant, Volts and amps will be proportional to each other. More volts = less amps. and more amps will mean less volts. If you try to power a 12v light with 6 volts, the current doubles and things get real hot!

Current would halve in this situation, not double. And more volts equals more amps, not less. In a simple resistive load, double the volts will double the current will quadruple the power.

You need to give any appliance the proper voltage in order to ensure it's proper operation.
Soooo... Your appliance likes 9 volts... If you feed it higher volts, you will damage the delicate electronics inside. Less volts and the little gizmos won't work properly. It's important to always start with the proper voltage. Now if our appliance says... 10 watts, This means that 10watts / 9 volts = 1.11 amps. Your power supply needs to supply at least that or things will start to smoke.
Wires are rated by size, so your power supply was built with a certain sized wire.Too much current in those wires will melt them and start a fire!!! So if your appliance wants 1500mA @ 9 volts, but your power supply is maxxed at 1300mA, somethings gotta give. My guess is that if a internal fuse doesn't pop, those wires will melt.

Usually, when you start to exceed maximum current capability of a power supply, the voltage starts to cave. But heat would not be uncommon.

Notice how those little transformers run warm?? if you try to get more current, they will run HOT (briefly) Take a pic of your power tap and bring it to a radio shack, they can tell you what type of power supply to get.

I repeat from my comment above, we still don't know whether the required adapter output is AC or DC. This needs to be answered. The 9V 1300 mA (or 1.3A, same thing) are requirements. If it's DC, polarity becomes an issue. If it's AC, no polarity issue. This discussion is way more complicated than it needs to be.

/ AC to DC converter #15  
I stand corrected, thanks! I'm functioning from memory and little sleep. My point still stands, If he is not sure what is going on, take it to radio shack. Anything else is unsafe and will likely damage something.Whether you apply more current, or more/less voltage, it will end badly.

Last edited:
   / AC to DC converter
Are you sure it's a DC adapter? It may be AC. Is there a little wavy symbol kinda like ~ nearby? If so, It's AC and no polarity issues. A DC adpapter should have the polarity symbol and something like an = sign, only the bottom line would be dashed, not solid.

The label on the machine is "9V-DC/1.5Amps" but it does not show the polarity symbol on the machine or in the manual..

brian

/ AC to DC converter #17  
The label on the machine is "9V-DC/1.5Amps" but it does not show the polarity symbol on the machine or in the manual..

brian

OK, so it is DC. Now, you'll need the 9V DC and 1.5A. Higher on the Amps is OK, don't go higher (or lower) on the 9V. But the polarity is a problem, guess wrong and *poof*. Better wait until the manufacturer gets back to you. Can you supply Manufacturer and Model info?

/ AC to DC converter
OK, so it is DC. Now, you'll need the 9V DC and 1.5A. Higher on the Amps is OK, don't go higher (or lower) on the 9V. But the polarity is a problem, guess wrong and *poof*. Better wait until the manufacturer gets back to you. Can you supply Manufacturer and Model info?

The manufacturer is Spirit Fitness (spiritfitness.com) the model is xe150 elliptical. The website does not list parts (only new machines), and the owners manual does not mention the power supply at all..

I have tried google, but could not find a replacement cord for any spirit machines.

thanks

brian

/ AC to DC converter #19  
Here is a question?? If you put an ohm meter on the negative part of the socket, and the other to the ground screw on the electronics, won't you get continuity??

/ AC to DC converter
Here is a question?? If you put an ohm meter on the negative part of the socket, and the other to the ground screw on the electronics, won't you get continuity??

I was wondering that same thing, I just wasnt sure how to do it..

anyone else?

b