AC to DC converter

/ AC to DC converter #1  

thatguy

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 2320
We have a (edited to correct) elliptical (NOT treadmill) that I want to start using.. My wife has relocated (ie lost) the power cord to it while cleaning up.. (rant on) After the cord being in the room for 3 years it mysteriously disappears and she 'hasnt seen it and hasnt moved it' - but she had to move it because its not there anymore.. (rant off)

The machine has a decal that says "9v - 1.5 amps" - and take the typical looking power plug connection..

Assuming I can find a plug that fits the pin, do i have to use a converter with that exact output? OR can you use something higher/lower?

thanks

Brian

Last edited:
   / AC to DC converter #2  
Radio Shack used to sell a multipower pack that would let you change the voltage and had multiple tips to fit a variety of plug ins. Our local Goodwill also keeps a tub full of various power supplies. Shouldn't be that hard to find another one.

/ AC to DC converter
After i posted the question I remembered we have a universal adapter (range from 3 to 9v at 1300mA). And I it had a pin that fits the machine..

My problem is now that the polarity (is the center pin + or - )on the machine is not marked and the owners manual does not indicate it.. I have emailed the company and asked..

Is there a 'standard' polarity for US electronics? It appears the the center pin is + on most adapters I have looked at - but didnt want to make an assumption..

the machines say 1.5 amps and the adapter is 1300 mA (which i think converts to 1.3 amps) - will that 0.2 amps make a difference?

Brian

/ AC to DC converter #4  
Center positive is standard. I would try that first if there isnt a label saying which should be used (the label should look like the one below if it is center positive).
powerplug-positive.jpg

Aaron Z

/ AC to DC converter #5  
1.5 amps is what you can expect the machine to draw, I would get a power supply that is rated at least 2 amps, that gives you a little wiggle room. In case you find a converter that is rated in watts, Watts / volts = amps. you need something greater than 14 watts. 14 watts / 9 volts = 1.555 amps. If you underpower your supply, things get HOT, or your motor burns out.

/ AC to DC converter #6  
Something is not correct here or we don't have the full story.

No treadmill is going to operate on 1.5A @ 9V ~14W. Any treadmill of any kind intended for an adult will have at a min a 1HP motor and system is going to take close to 900W to run including controls, etc. Better treadmills have motors close to 1.5 -2 HP.

9v/1.5A may run some aux attachment.

/ AC to DC converter
Something is not correct here or we don't have the full story.

No treadmill is going to operate on 1.5A @ 9V ~14W. Any treadmill of any kind intended for an adult will have at a min a 1HP motor and system is going to take close to 900W to run including controls, etc. Better treadmills have motors close to 1.5 -2 HP.

9v/1.5A may run some aux attachment.

sorry.. I made a mistake - It is an elliptical not a treadmill - dont know what I was thinking when i typed that..

it does have a display and there is some sort of resistance to it..

The 9v/1.5A is what is label near the connection point..

sorry

brian

/ AC to DC converter
Center positive is standard. I would try that first if there isnt a label saying which should be used (the label should look like the one below if it is center positive).
View attachment 157313

Aaron Z

That is what I though/noticed on other converters..

The funny thing was I did a google search and found a 9v/2A converter with the pin size i need and it was the opposite - center pin was negative..

Still havent heard back from the mfg yet.. I may just buy their converter (assuming it is reasonably prices) and not worry about it..

thanks

brian

/ AC to DC converter #9  
You can find replacment connectors at radioshack. Don't plug in the new converter till you get the polarity correct, Diodes can be defeated(smoked) and toast the whole unit.

/ AC to DC converter #10  
After i posted the question I remembered we have a universal adapter (range from 3 to 9v at 1300mA). And I it had a pin that fits the machine..

My problem is now that the polarity (is the center pin + or - )on the machine is not marked and the owners manual does not indicate it.. I have emailed the company and asked..

Is there a 'standard' polarity for US electronics? It appears the the center pin is + on most adapters I have looked at - but didnt want to make an assumption..

the machines say 1.5 amps and the adapter is 1300 mA (which i think converts to 1.3 amps) - will that 0.2 amps make a difference?

Brian

Just a guess, but the 1300mA (1.3A) is probably what it can supply at 9V. No wattage rating on the case?
9V X 1.3A = 11.7 Watts
3V X 1.3A = 3.9 Watts

Dave.