Smoking in public places

/ Smoking in public places #71  
Re: stirring the pot some more

NO frog jumping???? What the heck. Is that no frog jumping all together or just no frog jumping with frogs terrified and stimulated by the sight of butter or other suitable yellow substances which might overstimulate them into exertions that might reasonably be expected to cause sports injuries?

Get real people! Life is NOT a Disney script!!!!

I dodge turtles on the highway whenever safe to do so and I have a friend who has stopped to move them to the roadside they headed toward but I think we're getting a bit carried away here with the frog thing. There is a sect that wears flu masks(like a surgical mask) to avoid breathing in living organisms and thereby taking life. How far from legislation is that?

Patrick

/ Smoking in public places #72  
When we are talking of where we can smoke, one thing has been left out, and that is the amount of taxes on a pack or carton.

The tax on these things have gone up a considerable amount in some places. They want your money, but do not let you smoke.

They sue the manufacturer, split the money with the states and they spend it on whatever program that they want, maybe a small portion on anti smoking campaign.

Then they turn around and subsidize the farmers raising the plants.

Lets face it, smokers do not have any rights any more.

/ Smoking in public places #73  
<font color=blue>Lets face it, smokers do not have any rights any more.</font color=blue>

They have the same rights as the rest of us.

They have the right to shoot their guns unless their shooting presents a hazard to others.

The same with their smoking. They have a right to smoke when and where unless it presents a hazard to others.

Their problem is the when and where's are shrinking as science points out to the rest of us just what a hazard their smoking presents to bystanders.

Think of it like speeding. You don't want to do it with the kids around or when there's a chance you might put others at risk.

BTW I quit cold turkey sixteen or so years ago. Three for four packs of Chesterfield Kings a day until one day I put them down, end of story.

Awhile back I was going to lunch with a contractor I was drilling some holes for. Him and all of his guys lit up as soon as we got in the truck. They offered me one. I declined. They wanted to know if I'd ever smoked. I told them that I had and had quit cold turkey.

It was silent for a minute until the contractor turned to his guys and said, "now boys, that's one hard headed S.O.B., to quit like that."

As for the quandry about our government paying subsidies while taxing the bejeezus out of tobacco. That's a no brainer. It shows just how far you can go if you're willing to lie to Congress and have the bucks to buy their faith. It's a simple case of fraud and greed ingulfing so many pockets that a clean up would mean Washington D.C. would be naked for weeks while the laundry was done.

/ Smoking in public places #74  
Very well said. That smoke that comes out of a smoker's lungs is TOXIC to me and everyone else. Is it really that necessary to smoke while you eat? It is the smokers who all along have not been able or willing to control themselves that have caused tese laws. The only reason that smokers have been able to smoke for so long is because of big tobacco's control of lawmakers. Just my .02.....

/ Smoking in public places #75  
speaking of suing the manufacturer ... that's the biggest joke of all. Hmm ... wonder where the manufacturer gets their money? Unlike the government, they aren't allowed to print it ... so they gotta get it from the smokers. Which is why they all work so hard to make sure the non-smoking craze never leaves these shores ...

/ Smoking in public places
If smoking was outlawed,do you think everyone is going to quit?They are gonna get the tobacco some how,even if it is grown in the back yard.