Dual Exhaust

/ Dual Exhaust #1  

N80

Tractor
Kubota L4400 4wd w/LA 703 FEL
I see a lot of pickup trucks with dual exhaust, even new ones. I understand the underlying principle behind dual exhaust. Improved exhaust flow, improved intake yada yada yada. And they sound cool too.

But, does it really make that much performance difference in modern computer controlled, fuel injected pickups with well designed exhaust systems? And if so do you need to change the computer controller, air filter system, and headers for the dual exhaust to provide any performance gains? Or do some people just like the look and sound of them?

The reason I'm asking is that the muffler on my 2003 F150 is getting rusty and getting some holes in it and will probably need replacing in the near future. And if adding dual exhaust really makes a difference in performance and/or mileage then I might spend the extra bucks. However, I'm not interested in adding a new computer , headers, etc.

Any thoughts?

/ Dual Exhaust #2  
Primarily looks and sound. BTW, I have dual exhaust with a Flowmaster muffler on my Silverado. In my area, there are large differences in prices; Midas was twice as expensive as Meineke. Call around.

/ Dual Exhaust #3  
Well here's my experience on that one, I have a '07 Silverado 1500 LT Crew Cab 4X4 5.3 litre Z71, I installed a Volant Cold Air Intake and a Magnaflow Cat-Back (single rear exit) on my truck. Both were mail order and the CAI came first, after installation, the difference was easy to tell, alot more low end torque and acceleration and it would stay in 4cyl. mode longer at cruising speed,then the exhaust,beside the great throaty sound when you are on the pedal and little or no drone at cruising speed ,it to enhanced everything that the CAI done with no computer issues. Both units were easy to install and fit was OEM or better. The thing I like about the Volant CAI is that it is an enclosed air box so you don't get the old Quadrajet roar when you accelerate and it also has a dry filter so there are no sensor issues.

/ Dual Exhaust #4  
I had duals on my '90's vintage silverados..There was a slight difference in gas mileage and acceleration..Not enough to justify the cost, unless you need an exhaust. Did mine mainly for noise.

Want to do it to my '04, but only if SS. The aluminized ones don't last all that long in my experience.

/ Dual Exhaust #5  
I would never put dual exhaust on my truck unless it was a race truck or a show truck. My reasoning is that it doesn't last as long as a single. I install custom exhaust for a living, along with fixing everything else on a car, and my experience is duals just don't last anywhere near as long.. especially if you only drive short trips most of the time. Exhaust will last much longer if it warms up enough to boil off the condensation inside of it during the cold starts, and duals take twice as long to warm up. To get some good flow, and a decent sound on my truck, my boss actually bought me a Magnaflow exhaust system for Christmas when I bought my truck 4 years ago. He meant to order dual exhaust, but it was single when it arrived, and I was glad. Still there, but my gravel road dinged up the tail pipe pretty good:D.

/ Dual Exhaust
It sounds to me like if I don't care that much about sound and I don't care that much about looks then the performance gains aren't really going to justify the cost.

It also seems to me that if you don't replace the headers then you really can't increase the flow that much.

In any case, I like your idea Matt. Maybe just replace the OEM muffler with something that sounds a little better and maybe gives a little better flow. I doubt I'd replace everything from the header back though, unless there are some rust problems in the pipes too.

/ Dual Exhaust #7  
I bought a new Dakota extended cab with the 4.7 v8 (I think) back in 2003 or so. I put a cat-back replacement exhaust on it (I don't remember if it was Flowmaster, Magnaflow, or something else, but it was a big name). I noticed a big change in throttle response. Before the change I could mash on the excelerator and there was a noticable pause before anything happened. After the change the response was much quicker. I liked the sound too. More aggresive, but nothing obnoxious to wake up the neighbors.

It was a relatively easy job, just took some pounding with a big hammer to get the old exhaust off. Maybe an hour of work for 2 guys on the driveway.

*Edit* This was a single exhaust, not dual.

Last edited:
   / Dual Exhaust #8  
What's wrong with a sheet of galvanized metal, a couple of long hose clamps, a bit of time and you have a noise abatement process for another year!:thumbsup:

/ Dual Exhaust #9  
All I know is the muffler fell off of my 93 Suburban and I replaced it with a piece of straight 3" pipe. It sounds wonnerfullll!!! :cloud9:

The guys at the garage love it and wave every time I go by. :thumbsup:

And when you pass someone, if you time it just right, and with a little push of your right foot, with any luck, you will downshift right when the tailpipe is next to the other cars drivers side window. :shocked:

/ Dual Exhaust #10  
If you see me in a truck that's mine without duals it's cause I'm on the way to get them installed, I have a 79 ford 4x4 a 83 chevy 4x4 and a 92 chevy 4x4 and all of them have duals and no catalytic convertor, you can drive 100 miles and grab the tailpipe and it won't burn your hand on any 1 of them, try it with the stock exhaust and converter and it is smoking hot, I always figured all that heat could not be good for my trucks, we have no inspection down here though.