Another window question

/ Another window question #1  

GarageSmoker

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3010 HST
The design for our new house calls for transom windows over the doors. I would like these to open either using a crank or just pull open. They should be screened as well. I want to take advantage of the nice evenings without having a security issue.

Anyone know of a company that makes these?

GS

/ Another window question #2  
GarageSmoker,

Try http://www.hurd.com/main.htm

Anderson calls the windows you are looking for Awnings. I
think Hurd does as well. I've heard that Hurd, DONT say that
fast three times, has some sort of motor to open some
windows but I have not found that out for sure yet. They
do have cranks to open the windows. I'm not sure if they
will be long enough to use in your application though.

Hope this helps...
Dan McCarty

/ Another window question #3  
GarageSmoker,

You can also try Pella Windows. We installed a series of transoms in our house for our sunroom and master bedroom bay window area. However we did not go the awning route. But here are a couple of pics to show you what their transoms look like over standard windows. Also a link to pella's site. You will find these to be very engery efficient.

http://www.pella.com/products/windows_patiodoors/Type.asp?path=/products/windows/awning

Attachments

• 6-185311-Dsc00533.jpg
    6-185311-Dsc00533.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 43
   / Another window question
Thanks. I will look at their windows as well. If possible I want to find something that opens so we can get some nice night air on those nice winter/spring/fall nights here in Florida. Since I sleep like a bear in hibernation I will not open sliding doors or regular windows even with those bars that jam them partially open.

GS

/ Another window question #5  
GarageSmoker,

You definitely want the awning widow then. But keep in mind you could benefit from a window with good UV that will reflect the heat back, and keep your furniture from fading too.

The house has a full, covered front porch and a full covered lania in the back so I think that will keep those windows fairly well shaded. The house will be positioned with a N/S exposure and the side entry garage will get the west sun.

Thanks for the input.

GS

/ Another window question #7  
It sounds real nice. How about a picture?

Just have blue prints at this point. I will be keeping an album updated at Printroom.com as we progress though. Getting excited with the construction starting pretty soon.

GS