Networking Help

/ Networking Help #1  

Mrwurm

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC30 Hydro 4x4, Gravely Zero Turn Mower
Ok, I got the ethernet cards installed and configured. I've got the switch hub installed and cat5 running to each machine from the switch hub. I named one machine 'bedroom' and one machine 'family room'. They are both in the same workgroup 'home'. I have enabled print and file sharing. I have restarted both computers. In network neighborhood I can see both computers but I can't see any files. I can double-click on the computer icons but they still will not list any files. The following network components are installed......

client for microsoft works
P dial up adapter
P realtek card (network card)
netbeui dial up adapter
netbeui realtek card
tcp/ip dial up adapter
tcp/ip realtek card
file and printer sharing for microsoft networks

Any tips?

(as I said, file and print sharing are both checked)

/ Networking Help #2  
Go into Windows Explorer and right click on the folder you want to share. You can also right click on the printer icon you want to share. There will be an option labeled Sharing. Select it. Note: For some folders, like My Documents, you might have to select Properties, then click on the Sharing tab. In either case, the radio button labeled 'Do not share this folder' is checked. Click on the 'Share this folder'. The name of the folder will appear in the 'Share name'. You can change it if you want to. There are other options, but the defaults are fine. That's all you need to do.

/ Networking Help
Mike !!! You Da man !!!

System is now up and running /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

I downloaded and printed about 50 pages of tutorials on setting up a home network and not a single one of them mentioned anything about selecting the files and drives to be shared. Seems like their is always one bit of crucial information missing.

When my DirecWay system is installed I will have a complete network.

Thanks again /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Networking Help #4  
You might want to consider carefully what you share, and how freely you share it also. If your network is connected to the Internet, you could be sharing your files with quite a few others as well. A firewall can help also, but sharing with a password (on OS's where this is a feature), or by only sharing non-critical directories is also a good net practice. Glad to hear that you got your network up and running.

/ Networking Help
Thanks for tip Ron, I am sharing my whole C drive. I plan to run "Norton Internet Security" on my system. It includes firewall, parental control, and antivirus. It also works with home networks. It's a $20 upgrade from my current Norton product. I did'nt realize that others could "share" my files.