Chevy C-10 for first Vehicle

/ Chevy C-10 for first Vehicle #1  

qwerty15

Silver Member
Tractor
1967 Jacobsen Chief 1000
I just turned 16 in july and am starting to look for a vehicle. After i found out how much full coverage insurance would be for a camaro or monte carlo i started looking into a C-10 shortbed pickup. I think this would be a more practical vehicle for me since i have a 4 wheeler and like to go places to ride. Im looking for an 1985 -1987 and would like to know if there were any major problems within these years. Would you recommend this for a first vehicle. Manual or automatic trans? Was the 305 in it underpowered. Fuel economy bad? Please give all your input.

/ Chevy C-10 for first Vehicle #2  
Problems? nothing realy that cant be fixed.

Fuel ussage, Its a truck, lots of gas.

In my book you can't go wrong with an old school truck. Ford, Dodge, or Chevy. All are cheep, and easy to repair.

/ Chevy C-10 for first Vehicle #3  
Frank,

I think a pick up truck would be a decent choice for a first vehicle for you. I might be a little biased because I'm in the truck business, but I like them. You'll be amazed how many "friends" you'll acquire when you get a truck, too.

As to the C-10, I think you'll be fine with a 305 and automatic. You'll pay a more than a bit of a premium for a short bed over a long bed that's probably not really worth it, but, like you, I just think they look cool. Unfortuantely, it's people like you and me who keep those prices higher. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif On the practical side (e.g. when you're talking to Mom & Dad about why the short box is $500 more), they're easier to handle and easier to park. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

On every Chevy or GMC truck, check your cab corners, rocker panels and floorboards for rust. You don't want to look like it's a Flinstone-mobile. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Good luck with whatever you get. I hope this helps.

/ Chevy C-10 for first Vehicle #4  
Frank and co.

For those of us "Chev Challenged" members, post a pic of a C-10 !!

I hear a 305 mentioned so I assume this is a fair sized truck.

My first car was a ute but an old Datsun with a 1500cc motor. Not flash but I agree, all your mates will want to borrow your truck to help them shift out of home !!

/ Chevy C-10 for first Vehicle #5  
Hi Neil,

Here are two links to a 1986 C10s. The pictures are not of stock trucks, but they'll give you an idea of what they look like.

/ Chevy C-10 for first Vehicle
I didnt know the shortbed was more. Is a regular cab more also? I dont thing it matters to my parents that its more because im paying for it. I think that if i buy it with my own money i will take better care of it. Most of the guys in my school are driving brand new mustangs and camaros or BMWs that their parent bought for them. Their also paying 5-6 thousand in insurance. Ive got about 2 thousand saved and maybe another 2-3 to go to get a decent truck with a solid body and reasonable mileage. Like any young guy i want to modify it. I want a 2/4 or 3/5 drop but im not sure if the 3/5 will clear the speed bumps at school. The interior i want new carpet seats and dash. I would like to have a manual trans but i dont think it would be too practical but it would be cheaper right? Well let me know what you think

/ Chevy C-10 for first Vehicle #7  
<font color=blue>I want a 2/4 or 3/5 drop but im not sure if the 3/5 will clear the speed bumps at school.</font color=blue>

Not to mention any obstacles when you're hauling your four-wheeler. Why ruin a perfectly good truck by lowering it?

/ Chevy C-10 for first Vehicle #8  
Simply put, a C-10 is the predecessor of the C-1500 in the Chevy system. It's what most people would call a full size two wheel drive half ton pickup. The identical truck with the GMC logo was a C-1500 in those same years. Either in four wheel drive used the "K" designation in place of the "C."

Chevrolet converted their numbering system with the introduction of the 1988 models with the then-new body style. Now all of the domestic makers designate their class one, two and three truck with the numbers 15, 25 and 35 followed by a single zero for Ford and double zero for the others.

The 1987 model Chevrolets were the last to use the 10, 20 and 30 labels and were also the last of the more squared body style while the 1988 was the first of the more rounded body lines. Lots of people, myself included, still find the 87 and older styling more attractive.

/ Chevy C-10 for first Vehicle #9  
<font color=blue>I want a 2/4 or 3/5 drop but im not sure if the 3/5 will clear the speed bumps at school.</font color=blue>

<font color=red>Not to mention any obstacles when you're hauling your four-wheeler. Why ruin a perfectly good truck by lowering it?</font color=red>

I agree with Fishman! I'll raise a truck, but NEVER lower it. Might as well get a car! How about an El Camino?

/ Chevy C-10 for first Vehicle #10  
Frank, an older used S/B is more around here than an older used long bed simply because of supply and demand. Most people who buy used pick ups don't necessarily need them to haul 4 x 8 material on a daily basis so they prefer a short bed because of it's look, easier handling and easier parking.

A manual transmission should be cheaper and more than compensate for the short bed premium. For what it's worth when comparing prices, I have a 1986 two owner short bed Chevy with a 305 and AT with a very solid body I'd sell somewhere in the mid two's so I think you're in the right price range.

One last thing I'll mention to you is not to worry too much about the odometer reading one way or the other. You're looking at a fifteen year old truck. At 12,000 miles annually it would have 180,000. At 15,000 per year you're looking at 225,000. Look at the truck, not the odometer. You'll be far better served that way. Good luck with your quest. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif