Looking for Welder

/ Looking for Welder #1  

jtn

Silver Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45D
I am looking for a welder for some light work on implements and such around my house. I do not forsee having to weld on anything thicker than 1/2", and probably not even that thick. Since this will be a limited use tool for me I would like to avoid spending more than about $600. If possible I would like a machine that would run off a 240v plug and have both MiG and ARC capability.

I have heard good things about Lincoln and Miller machines but am open to any suggestions in terms of make and model.

If nobody knows of a welder in this price range I am open to more expensive suggestions.

Thanks in advance,
JT

/ Looking for Welder #2  
I just bought a little Hobart 175 Mig welder that'll weld up to 1/4" in a single pass. It's 240V and retails at $650 at Tractor Supply Company (TSC). I dont' know enough about welding to recommend it or not. It just sounded like it met a couple of your requirements and was in the price range you wanted. Good luck in your search. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Looking for Welder #3  
I have a Hobart Handler wire welder. It is rated for up to 1/4" also. I like it very well. You can weld thicker than 1/4" if you preheat your work. I have welded 1/2" plate to a 1 1/2 diameter shaft to make a trailer hitch. Never broke it and still have it.

/ Looking for Welder #4  
I don't think you are going to find a combination machine in that price range, but you could probably pick up a Hobart 130 and a Hobart StickMate at TSC for around the price you are talking. The 130 is a 110v wire machine, which you could use for the lighter stuff, and use the StickMate for your heavier stuff.

/ Looking for Welder #5  
I am with EdKing . for the price range you stated i don't think your going to find a machine. i would recommend a arc welding machine like a lincoln ac 225 . i have a century but wouldnt recommend one . they change there machines alot. my next will be a lincoln , miller or hobart.