Not open for further replies.
   / Right to Privacy #1  

FallbrookFarmer

Platinum Member
Tractor
Satoh Beaver,Buck,Iseki Farmbos
I hope that this is not a "political" question, I am posing it as
a question of Constitutionality.
Some have interpreted the Constitution to say that we have a "right to privacy".
If that is in fact the case, what will happen to our "right to privacy" after the government begins to administer our health care?
Will it have to be shared with the IRS?
Congressional Committees?
Will your Doctor have to share "confidential" health info?
I know that there are some physicians and a lot of very intelligent people on this board.
Your Thoughts?

/ Right to Privacy #2  
Some have interpreted the Constitution to say that we have a "right to privacy".
If that is in fact the case, what will happen to our "right to privacy" after the government begins to administer our health care?
I know that there are some physicians and a lot of very intelligent people on this board.
Your Thoughts?

GB...off the top of my head and as it relates to one's medical history, making it available to health care providers will likely result in better less expensive care. Remember, no more denying care for pre-existing conditions.

Develop a system that puts your medical history on an electronic strip and you avoid prescription drug mistakes, provide quicker diagnoses, avoid expensive and sometimes unnecessary testing.

/ Right to Privacy #3  
Up here it is strictly Dr/client/patient confidentiality. Dr's cannot reveal info regarding your health without permission. In a hospital context it is different - that bar code and chart help you and the Drs during your stay. I have a friend who's close relation works for a Dr office. She cannot pull info for him. He must speak to the Dr only - even though the Dr. is family friend.

/ Right to Privacy #4  
fallbrook, we no longer have privacy.A satellite flying over can tell how many are in your house,either human or smaller critters.But I have no problem with elec. medical records because they know everthing already so it,s just a matter of safety I guess.

/ Right to Privacy #5  
Up here it is strictly Dr/client/patient confidentiality. Dr's cannot reveal info regarding your health without permission. In a hospital context it is different - that bar code and chart help you and the Drs during your stay. I have a friend who's close relation works for a Dr office. She cannot pull info for him. He must speak to the Dr only - even though the Dr. is family friend.

That's the way I like it. :)

/ Right to Privacy #6  
I haven't really thought much about the health care/irs aspect of it.

We don't have a lot of remaining privacy even without spy satellites. Have you ever run into one of those online identity verification routines where you are asked questions the casual id thief would have trouble answering? They can pull together an amazing amount of info in real-time about a person from various databases already.

Certainly the anti-terror communications eavesdropping performed by the gov't. would be a privacy concern too. Some is authorized by the Patriot Act and some is being done illegally is my impression. We can reasonably assume the fbi is monitoring many forums like this one looking for threatening sounding people. Under the Patriot Act, I doubt if a site owner would be allowed to inform a member that the fbi requested their ip address - just like at the public library. Technology wise, they can know without asking if they want to.

For not a lot of money, <$200, you can go to a number of online services and find a good bit of info on just about anyone. I think some of that must also originate from legally gray methods.

There may be precious little personal privacy left at this point.
Dave.

/ Right to Privacy
I haven't really thought much about the health care/irs aspect of it.

We don't have a lot of remaining privacy even without spy satellites. Have you ever run into one of those online identity verification routines where you are asked questions the casual id thief would have trouble answering? They can pull together an amazing amount of info in real-time about a person from various databases already.

Certainly the anti-terror communications eavesdropping performed by the gov't. would be a privacy concern too. Some is authorized by the Patriot Act and some is being done illegally is my impression. We can reasonably assume the fbi is monitoring many forums like this one looking for threatening sounding people. Under the Patriot Act, I doubt if a site owner would be allowed to inform a member that the fbi requested their ip address - just like at the public library. Technology wise, they can know without asking if they want to.

For not a lot of money, <$200, you can go to a number of online services and find a good bit of info on just about anyone. I think some of that must also originate from legally gray methods.

There may be precious little personal privacy left at this point.
Dave.

Precious little is right!

Legally gray areas=Law enforcement types. I know:)

Actually it's not the FBI ,it's the NSA who monitor's communications for certain words. Mostly from Ft. Huachuca in AZ.

But doesn't it concern you, that whatever little privacy we do have left, is going to be eroded?
And also, at some time in the future, the traditional doctor-patient relationship will be in jeopardy?
I know that two old farts like us are not going to be affected greatly, but what about our kids? I worry.

/ Right to Privacy #8  
Your Thoughts?

H.I.P.A.

/ Right to Privacy #9  
Whoever is paying the bills has a right to know exactly what they're paying for. This is what we give up.

/ Right to Privacy #10  
Your Thoughts?

I suspect you are already signing release of information forms every time you go to a hospital or doctor, giving permission to release information to your insurance company so they will pay the bill.

And yes, this discussion will soon fall into the political category.

Status
Not open for further replies.