Need paint sprayer help.

/ Need paint sprayer help. #1  

N80

Tractor
Kubota L4400 4wd w/LA 703 FEL
I have a log cabin that needs to be re-stained. Should have been done about 2 years ago. Anyway, the first time we brushed it and rolled it. Took a long time and just about killed us. Subsequent coatings can be sprayed on and I think I'll go that route this time.

From what I've heard, the little Wagner sprayers really aren't up to the task of doing a whole house exterior job. But I could be wrong about that.

Anyway, this job really needs to be done every few years so I'm thinking about getting a decent airless spray system like a Graco which they sell at the big box stores.

Anyone know anything about these? What does it mean by airless? Does stain require special parts or special clean-up?

The model I'm looking at is about $400. And handles stains, interior paints and medium exterior paints. Any others I should look into?

915e6a79-c754-40f5-a067-540cbc39ccf3_300.jpg

/ Need paint sprayer help. #2  
I to have to redo my log siding.I got log home cleaner which is applied by a pump up sprayer then rinsed with water.After a few days to dry,I,ll have the stain applied by the same pump up sprayer and back brush it in.The airless sprayers use a piston to spray,auto body type guns use air pressure.Hope this helps ya out.

/ Need paint sprayer help. #3  
I have the same Graco sprayer that you have pictured. I love it. Spent about $400.00 on one at Home Depot last year to paint my 30x40 shop. It took me longer to tape off the windows and door than it took to paint the entire shop with that thing.

Just make sure you clean it properly before putting it back into the box to store for the next time. It pumped the thick stain I used with no problem.

Chris

/ Need paint sprayer help. #4  
I'll also recommend the Graco sprayers. I have had one for years and I think it is the model up from that. Nice thing about the Graco's is there are parts and service available through many of the better paint stores. Hardest thing to learn is to keep it clean and when you think it is clean, clean it again.

MarkV

/ Need paint sprayer help.
Thanks guys. I think I'm going to splurge and get this thing. We had such a hard time the first time that we have put it off to long. If this sprayer makes it quicker and easier that will be worth it and if we do it more regulary, the way we should, it will be more than worth it. My tool shed needs painting to.

/ Need paint sprayer help. #6  
Your making a good choice. i have one too, works great,just be sure to clean it well and buy the correct lubricant and run the lube thru the pump when storing.

takes longer to mask than paint! You can go to a pro painting supply and buy a hand held screen that you can use to save on masking. Just hold it against the surface you dont want covered. It leaves a good edge, plus saves time.

/ Need paint sprayer help.
The screen sounds like a good idea.

They also make a 30" extension tube for the spray gun.

When we did this the first time we had scaffolding that we had used when we built. We do not have scaffolding now so the peaks of the end walls would require my tall extension ladders. I hate all ladder and I hate painting from a ladder more than anything. But, with that 30" extension tube I bet I can reach everything from my tractor bucket which would just be great.

(I know it isn't safe to use the bucket as a man lift and I don't recommend that anyone do it.)

/ Need paint sprayer help. #8  
The screen sounds like a good idea.

They also make a 30" extension tube for the spray gun.

When we did this the first time we had scaffolding that we had used when we built. We do not have scaffolding now so the peaks of the end walls would require my tall extension ladders. I hate all ladder and I hate painting from a ladder more than anything. But, with that 30" extension tube I bet I can reach everything from my tractor bucket which would just be great.

(I know it isn't safe to use the bucket as a man lift and I don't recommend that anyone do it.)

If i was in going to get a extension, id go longer, like 6-8' so i can work more from the ground. Bear in mind the extensions i was looking at (6') were $100+ you might be able to find for less. The spray is forceful enough that you can reach 2' above your extended arm without issue.

Spray shield http://doitbest.com/Paint+Paddles_+Pails_+and+Accessories-Warner+Mfg.-model-10053-doitbest-sku-792985.dib Thats a 36" but they can be found larger

/ Need paint sprayer help. #9  
We used a wagner with a man-lift, took 11 hrs to do a 1600 sq ft capecod log, and a 24 x 24 garage. I used the backpack and had good luck. I would have liked that extension though. We used woodguard in honey 2000. You can re-apply over it any time without prep work. I would recommend a roller on a pole to take care of any runs...

/ Need paint sprayer help. #10  
N80 make sure you pick up some dust masks and a spray hood to cover your hair. There are also throw away cover all's if you feel like you need them.

MarkV